Retainer bolts

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been reading about the soft, stock retainer bolts. Want to replace them when I do the DD mod. What size are the bolts & will the standard hardware store-bought bolts be up to the task?

Have you considered the PCW clutch kit? You replace the inner 1/2 width friction disc w/a regular-sized one, and you can add their stock replacement heavy-duty diaphragm clutch spring. Since you're in there, are you replacing the stock friction discs? And scuffing the 'steelies,' after you mike them for wear and check them for bluing/warpage?

PCW will sell you OEM Yamaha friction discs, +1 to replace the narrow one, a heavy-duty diaphragm spring, and an OEM clutch cover gasket. Everything you need in 1 package.

The heavy-duty diaphragm spring is going to be easier to compress than the double diaphragm spring mod. But it still is stiffer than the stock spring. http://www.pcwracing.net/

I suggest using a new Phillips tip and a light tap from an impact driver to break loose your clutch screws without ruining the Phillips (or the JIS, if you want to be exact).

Already got a used stock spring on the way. I do plan on installing the regular sized fiber & having a look at the rest of them but the clutch is operating without issues so I'm not expecting to find anything there. Where exactly are the phillips head screws you are talking about? Only bolts I am dealing with are the cover (allen heads) & retaining bolts.

I don't know the bolt size but I do know that you want to refrain from going past the factory recommended torque settings b/c you will strip the case threads, don't ask how I know this!:bang head:
The factory shop manual will be your guide for the torque settings.

I don't know the bolt size but I do know that you want to refrain from going past the factory recommended torque settings b/c you will strip the case threads, don't ask how I know this!:bang head:
The factory shop manual will be your guide for the torque settings.

Yeah, I've seen more than enough of those comments. This Clymer manual is aggravating...why they can't give bolt dimensions along with torque values is beyond me.

As a general statement - beware going for 'stronger' bolts in a lot of applications. Stronger means brittle in general terms.
Its the elasticity of the bolt that hold the bolt in place and some give can be a good thing.

Rifle barrels whip during firing and you can make one very accurate regardless. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEBMlfhlxYg

I have a Barnett clutch unit and havent opened it up yet as it came with it so cant help on your mod plans.

Latest posts

Back