What does everyone wear for helmets?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Helmets

Motorcyclist magazine ran this article about helmets and their effectiveness. A lot of the discussion revolves around whether the Snell standard requires helmets to be too stiff and thus transferring more of the impact g force to the head. It is kinda lenghty but raises a lot of good points. My Vemar VTXE helmet is made to DOT and ECE 22.05 (European standard).
I also read somewhere that most US racing series require a Snell certified helmet in order to compete. Is this true?

Its hard to say. According to snell if you race, replace your helmet every two years. Replace your helmet every 5 years reguardless.

I also find it interesting that snell is reporting that they have heard about head damage to people using modular helmets, but never actually tested any modular helmets like the ECE has. here is another article.
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Helmets.html

I know when I was racing IDBA and IHRA they had a snell requirement. It was many years ago, but I want to say snell 90 then later 95. I was using my simpson bandit then.

This thred is starting to get interesting. Maybe it warrant's it's own area to throw as much info out there to keep our noggin's safe.

I've been using a modular Schuberth C1 for over a year and I absolutely love it. It's quieter than all of the full face helmets I've ever owned b4, and I've had brand new Shoei helmets in the past.

Next helmet I'll buy will be a Schuberth C2 or C3. Amazing.

I've been using a modular Schuberth C1 for over a year and I absolutely love it. It's quieter than all of the full face helmets I've ever owned b4, and I've had brand new Shoei helmets in the past.

Hey G have you heard of a Vemar helmet since is a brand made in Italy?If yes, what is their reputation in Europe?
I bought a VTXE last winter and while it took a litlle while to break-in the process of putting it on (it was difficult getting it over my ears) But after 2-3 weeks of putting it on I didn't have any more issues, the lower padding/ opening was narrow so it may have been just getting my technique right. Once I had the helmet on it easily has been the most comfortable and quiet helmet I have ever owned. There is very little wind noise and no booming due to the smooth exterior/ great sealing around the bottom edge of the helmet. The fit and finish is top rate and the shield can be removed in less than 5 seconds. It has good airflow across the back of the face shield so fogging is never a problem when moving.

Schuberth are amazing and pricy helmets. very difficult to find tho

Yes unfortunately Schuberth are (I think) no longer imported in the US, making them difficult to find. They are made in Germany (used to be BMW helmets) and found easily all over Europe.

Brian, Vemar is a very popular brand of helmets here in the UK. It's actually kinda weird how only a few brands are truly international, while so many seem to be territory-specific. :confused2:

Yes unfortunately Schuberth are (I think) no longer imported in the US, making them difficult to find. They are made in Germany (used to be BMW helmets) and found easily all over Europe.

Brian, Vemar is a very popular brand of helmets here in the UK. It's actually kinda weird how only a few brands are truly international, while so many seem to be territory-specific. :confused2:
Schoberth is a very good choice.
And you right, they are no longer in US.

Abut Vemar, maybe in uk they are popular but you will not find many in the eastern europe.

I find an intimidating helmet helps keep people from pulling out in front of you, because when they CANT tell what kinda person you are because they cant see your glare they dont care.

When your helmet tells them at a glance "cut me off and Ill $h!t kick you to the curb" they tend to rethink these things most often.:angry flame devil:

Attachments

• DSCN0127.jpg
    DSCN0127.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN0128.jpg
    DSCN0128.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN0129.jpg
    DSCN0129.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN0130.jpg
    DSCN0130.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 40

I find an intimidating helmet helps keep people from pulling out in front of you, because when they CANT tell what kinda person you are because they cant see your glare they dont care.

When your helmet tells them at a glance "cut me off and Ill $h!t kick you to the curb" they tend to rethink these things most often.:angry flame devil:
HEY ' GREEN light BLITZ , COOL HELMET ! ... :punk:

LMAO true! Well I guess this officially rules out "Yo momma" jokes between us for fear of possible weirdness! HAHAHA

:rofl_200:hahaha WHO KNEW? My V-Max makes sense now, I coulda been taking after my older brother and never have known! :confused2:

Brown eyes???:ummm:LMFAO

:rofl_200:hahaha WHO KNEW? My V-Max makes sense now, I coulda been taking after my older brother and never have known! :confused2:

Brown eyes???:ummm:LMFAO
BLUE , BUT SO ARE MY BALLS , BUT THAT DOESN'T MATTER ! ... HEY "BRO" CAN I BARROW SOME MONEY ? ...:rofl_200::biglaugh::rofl_200: ... JUST KIDDING ! ... I LIKE BEING " BROKE " ! .... I JUST CAN'T WAIT TO COME OUT TO CALIFORNIA TO VISIT ! .... :punk::punk:

Last edited:
Back