85 Drag Bike Project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, dont' quite do it from memory or you'll be off like Yankee. It's set the first set of cams with the T1 mark then rotate the crank 360 + 70 degrees counter clockwise then set the other set. You can call me when you are that far.

Sean

Yeah thats it you got it Sean! Thankfully I said If I remember correctly. I am sure you have much more expierence at cam timing then I do. I only have done it 3 times.
Jeff, now is the time to think if your going to have your cam sprockets sloted so you can degree your cams.
Has anyone played around with slotted cam sprokets on a VMAX and is it worth it?
I would think its something you would want to do with a turbo nitrous motor

Yeah thats it you got it Sean! Thankfully I said If I remember correctly. I am sure you have much more expierence at cam timing then I do. I only have done it 3 times.
Jeff, now is the time to think if your going to have your cam sprockets sloted so you can degree your cams.
Has anyone played around with slotted cam sprokets on a VMAX and is it worth it?

Yep, I think Morley has done it, but I think for this application, I'm not going to mess with it. If I was building a good motor, it may be a route I choose to go down.

Jeff

Yep, I think Morley has done it, but I think for this application, I'm not going to mess with it. If I was building a good motor, it may be a route I choose to go down.

Jeff

You know this motor will probably last you years since you're spending next to nothing on it! It's the guys spending a small fortune that have the issues it seems... lol

Yea, dont' quite do it from memory or you'll be off like Yankee. It's set the first set of cams with the T1 mark then rotate the crank 360 + 70 degrees counter clockwise then set the other set. You can call me when you are that far.

Sean

Hey Sean
We know all about timing the motor, dont we :bang head:
Still running good!!!:eusa_dance:

Yes, I can do a very good ace vetura impression. I must admit that it sounds kind of gassy though and I have bad breath that way.

Sean

Yes, I can do a very good ace vetura impression. I must admit that it sounds kind of gassy though and I have bad breath that way.

Sean

LOL!!!
Hmm I can almost picture it as Alvin the Chipmunk is in an airplane and they annouce "the plane is going down for a crash landing,.. Put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye".
Maleko must be providing you with my burritos cause I sure havent seen any.:ummm:

I'd say Sean is one of the straighter shooters selling Vmax parts. Some guys just tell you what you WANT to hear! :damn angry:

PCW installs slotted cam sprokets and degrees the cams.

You can, or you can order your cams in the way you want them too. But, slotting is good if you think the cams or chain would be out of spec or position. Lets you bring them into the range. We have them but hardly ever bother. We may be leaving a little bit on the table but it's never been a problem for us.

Sean

Well, I haven't posted on my progress in a while, so here goes. I basically have the engine assembled... other than the cams, shims, valve cover, etc.
I am just going to start with the double d clutch, then probably move over to a lock up. I also think I am going to try and get it running with the carbs off my 02 for the time being. That way I can eliminate the fuel/intake as a possible problem. I am planning on using the COP's as well. I got a set from Birdoprey a while back. I'll be using a dyna3000 for my ignition. I purchased a used radiator and have Muscle hoses coming from Sean. I also decided to leave the stator in so I can hopefully drive this on the street a little bit. I still need to figure out the fuel tank, (air tank and air shifter if I ever go that route). I got clip on handle bars that look freakin sweet IMO. I am using a Hayabusa caliper, R1 front rotor and one of Morley's brake adapters for the front brakes. I'll probably keep the rear stock.... maybe try to lighten up the rotor...

Gleno... maybe I'll get one of your rear brake adapters? Does anyone know the weight difference with the cheap wave rotors vs. stock?

I am still trying to find out some info on getting the frame raked, the guy I am hoping to have do it hasn't been back from his vacation yet... hope everything is o.k.? I also need to figure out my throttle, I'm looking at the 1/4 turn throttle asemblies, I just don't want to spend $60-$100 on somehting that won't work with my carbs. Anyway, here are some pics.. enjoy!

Oh, and I'll throw in a sweet trailer pic.. the trailer was free so a buddy and I put the decking on it yesterday. Like I said, this is a low budget drag race project - total cost of the trailer - $87:eusa_dance:

And a few more things... I know the clipons aren't even, and my 02 is getting a couple new fork seals and a rebuild.... when the forks stop leaking... it is time!:rofl_200:

Attachments

• P1010093.jpg
    P1010093.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 102
  • P1010092.jpg
    P1010092.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 103
  • P1010091.jpg
    P1010091.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 94
  • P1010090.jpg
    P1010090.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 112
  • P1010089.jpg
    P1010089.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 107
  • P1010088.jpg
    P1010088.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 91
I have the engine completely assembled and "fingers crossed" assembled correctly. I'll guess I'll find out in a week or two.... maybe less. I'm going to have my frame raked this week (hopefully). I pulled out some old trig and ran some numbers with different rake angles. Stock is 29 degrees and I have been thinking about going to a 6 or 10 degree rake.
Here are the following differences from stock

6 Degree Rake will lower the bike about 2.9" and will extend the front wheel about 3"

10 Degree Rake will lower the bike around 3.3" and will extend the front wheel about 4.8"

Hope everyone had a safe and happy Christmas and got everything they wanted from Santa!

Jeff

Why would you go with clip ons rather than dragbars? Are you building a road race bike also drag / road race bike..
Wrong body postion for a dragbike..... look at some NHRA prostock bikes and postion. Body postion has a lot to do with dragracing.

I'll be slamming the bike by strapping the front forks and probably lowering in the triples (some). Plus the bike will loose +3" from the rake. I'll be strutting the rear (basically as low as it goes. I thought that the rider basically wants to get as low on the bike to help reduce the CG as well as keep some weight forward (between the tires) to help keep the front end down. I'm going to fabricate some rear sets so I will hopefully be laying rather than sitting. I'm going to have Morley cut me down a seat to help with this. I may be way off base here so I'll take any input I can get. Here are a few pro stock bikes with clip ons... I don't think I found a bike that doesn't use the... plus I like the look. In retrospect, I should have probably used this $$ on something that will help me go faster, but I think I got a decent deal on them.

Attachments

• buell2frame[1].jpg
    buell2frame[1].jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Chip_Ellis_NHRA[1].jpg
    Chip_Ellis_NHRA[1].jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Bradford2[1].jpg
    Bradford2[1].jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 47
  • psb_01[1].jpg
    psb_01[1].jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 44
Clip-on's aren't that rare on drag bikes, on my 80's kosman chassis funny had clip-ons. The drag bike I had afterwards had clip-ons but for some reason I didn't like the way they felt so I went with normal drag bars.

IMO, clip-ons are much more confortable and also can be adjusted to better fit the rider whereas the drag bars are not. They also can be set much lower than over the tripple bars, which as you already mentioned Jeff, gets the rider lower and more foreward which is ESPECIALLY helpful on a no-bar bike. I've really only seen dragbars on full on dragbikes with sissy-sticks(wheelie bars.)...don't have to worry so much about getting low and foreward with the crutches.

Jeff
Rider position is very important in motorcycle dragracing. Weight transfer of body postion is critical. I wont go into full depth and if you like the feel of clip ons with a VMAX dragbike and you think it will work the best then put clip ons your ride, as they say "Aint my ride"
Yes you want to be tucked in tight and tream line with the bike after about the first 60ft mark going into 2nd is what I used to get in the paint.
Dave Shultz was one of the best motorcycle dragracers bracket and pro stock in the world unfortunetly we lost him back in the mid 90's due to cancer.
I studied alot about him and had a few chances to speak with him personally when I raced with him at IDBA meets. You can take advice from weekend warrior racers I am just passing along advice to you from professionals that have succeded in motorcycle dragracing.
Going that low in the front end and leaning over the tank on the launch most likely will cause inconsistent wheel spin. Your not dragracing a Hayabusa where the chassis works compared to a kossman chassis or a sport bike chassis with a high dollar rear shock that sqauts under launch. The vmax doesnt squat under launch and in a more of a straight back launch you have better feel of the bike along with weight over the rear tire.

I'll be slamming the bike by strapping the front forks and probably lowering in the triples (some). Plus the bike will loose +3" from the rake. I'll be strutting the rear (basically as low as it goes. I thought that the rider basically wants to get as low on the bike to help reduce the CG as well as keep some weight forward (between the tires) to help keep the front end down. I'm going to fabricate some rear sets so I will hopefully be laying rather than sitting. I'm going to have Morley cut me down a seat to help with this. I may be way off base here so I'll take any input I can get. Here are a few pro stock bikes with clip ons... I don't think I found a bike that doesn't use the... plus I like the look. In retrospect, I should have probably used this $$ on something that will help me go faster, but I think I got a decent deal on them.

Attachments

• Dave Shultz.jpg
    Dave Shultz.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 30
Here is a pic of my buddy and past racing partner James Pirtle from JAP racing. We put a lot of miles in together drag racing. He was also a very successful racer and could have gone pro. When we raced dash for cash races or local events it would be me and him in the final round 9 times out of 10. I have a few tickets with a .000 win difference and had to go into the computer to get the ten thousandth number.
This picture is him on a top gas kossman chassis racing, notice the rider postion on the launch going into a tucked in postion afterwards.
Leave the clip ons for the road racers.

Attachments

• Japster.jpg
    Japster.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 56

Latest posts

Back