Headlight Replacement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxviewnet

Reaction score
Hey guys. I wanted to throw another "Thank you!" out here to my friends on the forum. I took some advice on replacing my stock headlight with a H4 LED lamp that was on Amazon for about $40.00. BlaxMax recommended it too and said it was a quick and easy install...very true. Really makes a difference in night driving and much brighter than the factory lamp. Great for a tight budget for sure.
Just to let you know, Amazon has them on sale for $18.90 right now if anyone is interested. Here is a link. https://www.amazon.com/Factory-Whol...00UX5WRBM/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Thanks again guys! :eusa_dance:

Hey guys. I wanted to throw another "Thank you!" out here to my friends on the forum. I took some advice on replacing my stock headlight with a H4 LED lamp that was on Amazon for about $40.00. BlaxMax recommended it too and said it was a quick and easy install...very true. Really makes a difference in night driving and much brighter than the factory lamp. Great for a tight budget for sure.
Just to let you know, Amazon has them on sale for $18.90 right now if anyone is interested. Here is a link. https://www.amazon.com/Factory-Whol...00UX5WRBM/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

He will be missed.

Just got one off Amazon and it went in pretty easy. It's way brighter than my Slynania-something 65w bulb, and my ch whiter. The mini fan sounds cool. I hope at 32 watts it helps out with my battery charging in traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been running one for a while now, I flipping love it. I've managed to get several other riders in my area to install them as well, nobody can claim "I didn't see you there" when a pack of us are coming down the road, it's like the surface of a white star coming at you.

Do we need to splice in the wires to the existing wire harness for the lights?

Do we need to splice in the wires to the existing wire harness for the lights?

Never mind, I see it has the same 3 prongs so should be plug and play. Will give it a try.

I went over to Amazon, and took a look at that light. If it works as well as you guys say, it might be a good idea for those GEN1 owners with less than robust charging systems. I'll bet it really would rip if you ran it off relays with a good charging system.

For the led bulb with the little fan, anyone know whether this still draws fewer amps than normal bulb even when the fan is running?

I just ordered one. Ill report back on how it looks with being ran on an Eastern Beaver headlight relay.

I went over to Amazon, and took a look at that light. If it works as well as you guys say, it might be a good idea for those GEN1 owners with less than robust charging systems. I'll bet it really would rip if you ran it off relays with a good charging system.

I ordered the bulb tonight. I would like to know more about running it off relays. Is there a string that talks about how set this up with the necessary relays to get more out of it?

Go to www.easternbeaver.com for info. You can buy parts to make up your own harness, or buy a plug and play pre wired unit. Believe me, it was well worth the money and effort to add the relays.

When adding a relay you will run new, heavy gauge wires direct to the headlight. This alone can make your headlight brighter because the headlight will receive full power from the battery.

You typically experience some amount of voltage drop with OEM wiring due to wire size (smallest that will work) and length. As your machine ages the quality of connections degrade and resistance in the circuit often increases which further degrades light output due to additional voltage drop.

If you measure voltage at the battery and compare to voltage at the headlight connector (with it on if possible) you may notice a big difference. A relay can prevent this. Every volt counts when you only have 12 to give.

There are other reasons for relays but this is why they make your headlight brighter

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When adding a relay you will run new, heavy gauge wires direct to the headlight. This alone can make your headlight brighter because the headlight will receive full power from the battery.

You typically experience some amount of voltage drop with OEM wiring due to wire size (smallest that will work) and length. As your machine ages the quality of connections degrade and resistance in the circuit often increases which further degrades light output due to additional voltage drop.

If you measure voltage at the battery and compare to voltage at the headlight connector (with it on if possible) you may notice a big difference. A relay can prevent this. Every volt counts when you only have 12 to give.

There are other reasons for relays but this is why they make your headlight brighter

Do yall have a link to the specific relays? Thanks

I don't have any on the vmax but, i've used them in the past and just bought a generic one at the auto parts store for around $5.

There is no specific relay required. Like most things in life, you can get cheap ones and expensive ones.

Cheap ones don't come with a socket. You just crimp some 1/4" female disconnects (spades) on your wires. Connect you wires and tape it up.
For a headlight, you don't need anything larger than 20 amp. What you find at the auto store will probably be 30 or 40A. It doesn't matter, thats just how much current it's capable of handling. You will be installing a 10 or 15A fuse so a 20A or higher relay is acceptable.

Expensive ones can come with a weather resistant socket that is pre-terminated with wires to suit and maybe even an in line fuse.

Personally, I don't see the need to buy something like that as I have access to fuse holders, terminals, crimpers, soldering irons, heat shrink,and wire so I buy the basics and build the rest. If you don't, it's probably easier to buy the most complete kit you can from a place like eastern beaver. They do sell quality components.

Eastern Beaver is the place to go! They sell really small relays for a good price, or you can buy plug and play setups too.

Back