Preferred oil type

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shifting better and finding neutral is very noticeable after an oil change, with Rotella. Rotella has additives like zinc which lube gears very well. It's good, it's cheap, and has worked well for a lot of us. But, whatever oil used, change it and the filter at the right interval.

Not only the clutch I found is affected by the wrong choice of oil. I have found the started clutch on my old 1984 XJ750RL and 2006 Vmax doesn't like synthetic. So anything old school oil type for my bikes, including my 2013 Royal Star Venture.

I've been using Rotella 15-40 dino diesel oil, works great in both bikes. I know it's a popular choice but you will get some different schools of thought as on any oil thread. Good luck and enjoy.

I used Mobil1 20w50 full syn (last oil change). Clutch has started slipping since. Never again.
So you say Rotella DIESEL 15w40 conventional will work better?
Thanks in advance

Did you use the 4T motorcycle oil? I have used the Mobile 1 and Castrol both Full Syn and 4T motorcycle oil with no problems. As I understand these motorcycle oils are designed and blended specifically to function properly with wet clutchs. Std motor oils are not.

I will say my clutch has a little more grab with the Castrol then Mobil 1

I would not run that Rotella 15-40 in these bikes. If you have an old machine. 60's 70's even 80's vintage I don't think there would be a problem. I use this exact Rotella in 2 of my diesel tractors. There it's Good. Stuff.

As I ride, 99.99% of the time I do not get on the throttle hard until I'm moving and the clutch is 100% engaged.

I had the same problem when I got my max 15 years ago, we can't use conventional car oils with detergent.
Been using the Rotella ever since in all my bikes, and the Castrol 4T is just as good....Best prices at wally mart.
Where in Miami are you, Your bike looks just like mine....Year?
I just use the yamalube in the 95 and the 17

Not being much of a pleasure rider, I am extremely abusive to my bikes. Over the decades like everyone else I've tried most (except for Royal Purple since they were testing their new stuff on the public and ripping them off) of the high end oils as they came to the market. I learned the hard way in the 90s on my ZX11s not to use synth if your bike your bike burns a lot of oil. So now I get paranoid about oils and additives at high speeds. But since Lucas has done so much for my other vehicles (my truck has a quarter million hard miles and it still impresses mechanics during oil changes) I gave their high performance motorcycle oil a shot. So far I'm very impressed. It should have thinned out by now but the engine is still noticeably quieter, hard shifting and pulls are still noticeably slick and thankfully no issues YET. Has anyone tried it on older bikes and\or heard any horror stories like Royal Purple? Everything is awesome till something catastrophic happens.

Not being much of a pleasure rider, I am extremely abusive to my bikes. Over the decades like everyone else I've tried most (except for Royal Purple since they were testing their new stuff on the public and ripping them off) of the high end oils as they came to the market. I learned the hard way in the 90s on my ZX11s not to use synth if your bike your bike burns a lot of oil. So now I get paranoid about oils and additives at high speeds. But since Lucas has done so much for my other vehicles (my truck has a quarter million hard miles and it still impresses mechanics during oil changes) I gave their high performance motorcycle oil a shot. So far I'm very impressed. It should have thinned out by now but the engine is still noticeably quieter, hard shifting and pulls are still noticeably slick and thankfully no issues YET. Has anyone tried it on older bikes and\or heard any horror stories like Royal Purple? Everything is awesome till something catastrophic happens.
I have started to use Amsoil. I'm very impressed with it. After the side by side test again Royal Purple, I use only Amsoil in all my bikes (85 Vmax, 09 Vmax and 2018 YZ450) I've put on 165k on my 85 and now 80k on my 09. No issues.

I live in Brazil, here the climate is tropical, I'm using Militec 1 on the engine and Shaft + Motul 7100 10W50 on my Vmax 2010. The bike has 10,000 miles, but so far so good.

Any oil that goes into a wet clutch bike needs to have the JASO designator on the label. Then no slippy clutches, synthetic or petro.

w
I have started to use Amsoil. I'm very impressed with it. After the side by side test again Royal Purple, I use only Amsoil in all my bikes (85 Vmax, 09 Vmax and 2018 YZ450) I've put on 165k on my 85 and now 80k on my 09. No issues.
what weight?

Amsoil is the best. Been using it since the mid 80s. Once someone makes a better oil I'll switch. But, not holding my breath.

Latest posts

Back