VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oil Preferences?

Was getting ready to change the oil in the '86 V-Max for the first time (first time since buying it) and was inundated with opinion articles relating to the topic of oil selection. I stumbled onto Dale Walker's site and wondered if everyone agrees on his opinion..

KENDALL 20W-50

X-1R -USE 2OZ PER QUART, THE 1ST OIL CHANGE, AFTER THAT YOU ONLY USE 1OZ PER QUART.

Also what about gear oil?

Full synthetic 75-90w hypoid w/ 1.5 oz X-1R added?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Oil Preferences?

Was getting ready to change the oil in the '86 V-Max for the first time (first time since buying it) and was inundated with opinion articles relating to the topic of oil selection. I stumbled onto Dale Walker's site and wondered if everyone agrees on his opinion..

KENDALL 20W-50

X-1R -USE 2OZ PER QUART, THE 1ST OIL CHANGE, AFTER THAT YOU ONLY USE 1OZ PER QUART.

Also what about gear oil?

Full synthetic 75-90w hypoid w/ 1.5 oz X-1R added?

Thanks in advance!

Go to the VMF links above and look for the oil info link and read up...

Shell Rotella T 15W40... I run 75W90 Mobil 1 in the diff.

Read up!:thumbs up:

Re: What Oil Weight & Type?

hello to all : i myself use honda HP4 without moly ,its a semi- synthetic oil . made for racing applications and severe duty usage. its got all the good stuff in it from anti-sheering to leaving a protective film on engine parts like cylinders, rings, bearings,cam lobes and valve guides.no dry starts with this oil. there is information about this oil on the net,which covinced me to try it . i use 10-40 wt. works great in winter and 100 degree plus days in the summer . the downfall is the cost per quart, almost 8.00 dollers a quart. but i think its worth it considering the protection it gives my engine internals.i dont feel guilty unleashing the power when in the mood. best to you all, buckridge P.S. WATCH OUT FOR SNAKEOIL!!!

Go to the VMF links above and look for the oil info link and read up...

Shell Rotella T 15W40... I run 75W90 Mobil 1 in the diff.

Read up!:thumbs up:

Thanks for the link and I had read that article. I read it again just for you! :biglaugh:

It is quite verbose though and still leaves a little room for speculation. I am just looking for someone very experienced to say, "look, use this oil or else.." :)

I am going to go with Dale Walker's comments because they make easy sense unless someone strongly disagrees with them, knows of a very similar alternative, or I am unable to find Kendall oil in Wichita.. :(

http://www.vmaxchat.co.uk/walker-o.htm

Thanks a lot for your help and sorry for posting "needless" questions like a forum noobie! :coolgleamA:

MaxxedNKansas

Thanks for the link and I had read that article. I read it again just for you! :biglaugh:

It is quite verbose though and still leaves a little room for speculation. I am just looking for someone very experienced to say, "look, use this oil or else.." :)

I am going to go with Dale Walker's comments because they make easy sense unless someone strongly disagrees with them, knows of a very similar alternative, or I am unable to find Kendall oil in Wichita.. :(

http://www.vmaxchat.co.uk/walker-o.htm

Thanks a lot for your help and sorry for posting "needless" questions like a forum noobie! :coolgleamA:

MaxxedNKansas

The thicker the oil the more HP lost... No need for 20W50 in your climate especially now. 10W40 since new in both of my bikes and no issues yet. I usually try to go as thin as the Mfg says...:banana: I use 15W40 because it was so highly rated by so many people on other forums and two articles I read.

The pour in additives don't do squat... Just use Shell Rotella T 15W40 and I know you'll be happy...

The thicker the oil the more HP lost... No need for 20W50 in your climate especially now. 10W40 since new in both of my bikes and no issues yet. I usually try to go as thin as the Mfg says...:banana: I use 15W40 because it was so highly rated by so many people on other forums and two articles I read.

The pour in additives don't do squat... Just use Shell Rotella T 15W40 and I know you'll be happy...

Okie Dokie, Shell Rotella it is.. You really think X-1R is a joke? Walker sure has a hardon for it..

MaxxedNKansas

Yeah, but he also sells a metal replacement radiator fan which moves less air than stock...and stage 1 jet kit...and slide diaphragms for $80 a piece....and a power shifter which doesn't work well on a Max.

Mark

Yeah, but he also sells a metal replacement radiator fan which moves less air than stock...and stage 1 jet kit...and slide diaphragms for $80 a piece....and a power shifter which doesn't work well on a Max.

Mark

Oooohhh... credibility issues then eh? Thanks for the "inside" info! :thumbs up:

MaxxedNKansas

He's one hell of a racer...I'll give him that. His exhaust is awesome too. Just shouldn't sell stuff that doesn't work.

Mark

He's one hell of a racer...I'll give him that. His exhaust is awesome too. Just shouldn't sell stuff that doesn't work.

Mark

It does work... Maybe not as well as it should but it does work... He doesn't have a credibility issue at all... I have dealt with him with great success and I have the worthless stage one kit in my bike and it runs like a top. Could it run better? I'm sure.

I might have to take a trip to see Sean when the drags are going on and get a better carb setup installed...:whistlin:

Chris, nothing wrong with your stage 1. It's just you can get separate parts for cheaper.

Dales stage 1 kit is $119.

K&N uni filter: $30
main jets: $24 for two sets of Mikuni's
Stage 1 Needles: $50
Total is $104

When I say things that don't work I was thinking of the fan and power shifter.

Mark

Chris, nothing wrong with your stage 1. It's just you can get separate parts for cheaper.

Dales stage 1 kit is $119.

K&N uni filter: $30
main jets: $24 for two sets of Mikuni's
Stage 1 Needles: $50
Total is $104

When I say things that don't work I was thinking of the fan and power shifter.

Mark

Yeah but you know my luck when ordering things... If I order them as one I may have better luck... You don't get needles with his kit... Mains and a washer to space the needle up... Directions of course and the use of his brain if something goes wrong... :thumbs up:

Well, I just picked up a gallon of Shell Rotella T 15W40 Heavy Duty for about 9 bucks at the local Wal-Mart. That was a nice surprise. I was wondering though, do you have any recommendations as to the oil filter? It looks like all they carry for motorcycles is FRAM and some people have frowned on FRAM filters..

While I'm at it.. Spark Plugs?

Thanks!

MaxxedNKansas

Well, I just picked up a gallon of Shell Rotella T 15W40 Heavy Duty for about 9 bucks at the local Wal-Mart. That was a nice surprise. I was wondering though, do you have any recommendations as to the oil filter? It looks like all they carry for motorcycles is FRAM and some people have frowned on FRAM filters..

While I'm at it.. Spark Plugs?

Thanks!

MaxxedNKansas

Sure... http://vmaxoutlaw.com/main.html

I use a Mobil one oil filter on mine. Yours is spin on right? :ummm: If not then you will have to order one. Fram is crap.:bang head:

As for plugs... NGK all the way. Go to search and find the part number. Maleko knows it off the top of his head...

Oh and buy a can of Seafoam and poor some in the tank and run that through the carbs while your at it...:thumbs up:

NGK DPR8EA-9. :cheers:

Mark

Sure... http://vmaxoutlaw.com/main.html

I use a Mobil one oil filter on mine. Yours is spin on right? :ummm: If not then you will have to order one. Fram is crap.:bang head:

As for plugs... NGK all the way. Go to search and find the part number. Maleko knows it off the top of his head...

Oh and buy a can of Seafoam and poor some in the tank and run that through the carbs while your at it...:thumbs up:

Nobody at the Autozone had any idea what Mobil 1 oil filter would fit my bike. I called three motorcycle dealerships and they didn't know either. I just ended up going to a Yamaha dealership and picking up what they recommended. The brand is HIFLO FILTRO.. any opinions on this brand? It is a paper filter so apparantly I don't have the "spin on" type.

I did pick up some seafoam, mobil 1 differential oil, and NGK plugs. :)

MaxxedNKansas

Nobody at the Autozone had any idea what Mobil 1 oil filter would fit my bike. I called three motorcycle dealerships and they didn't know either. I just ended up going to a Yamaha dealership and picking up what they recommended. The brand is HIFLO FILTRO.. any opinions on this brand? It is a paper filter so apparantly I don't have the "spin on" type.

I did pick up some seafoam, mobil 1 differential oil, and NGK plugs. :)

MaxxedNKansas

1996 and later bikes have a spin on... HIFLO is a great filter and ranks on top... FRAM is bad...:damn angry:

1996 and later bikes have a spin on... HIFLO is a great filter and ranks on top... FRAM is bad...:damn angry:

Very good! I was wondering if spark plug wires are another item I can only get at the Yamaha Dealership?

It would be nice if there was a cross reference chart for common V-Max parts for older V-maxes like mine. I saw the other one at Vmaxoutlaw for '96's+ which is really helpful.

Also, NGK DPR8EA-9 is fine for a 1986 right?

Thanks!

MaxxedNKansas

Yep, that's the sparkplug you want!

Mark

Got 600miles, time for service

Hey guys,
I finally put my breakin miles on the bike this weekend.

I run a performance shop, so I'm more than capable when it comes to new cars, but since I don't work on bikes, I wanted to ask.

What's involved when taking my bike in for service?
Are they going to adjust anything or just change the oil?

I read the oil threads and I'll use what you guys recommend for breakin ( i read the bike's not ready for synthetic).

Do I need to take it in to keep the warranty, is it best to so they can look it over?

I hate posting such a novice question, but I just wanted to be sure I take care of this bike.

thanks,
allen

Back