Passing Other Bikes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hijacker

Reaction score
Just thinking about last year's rides and upcoming rides for this year.

Whipped this up to keep myself entertained...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZdgzrm0ChA

Was talking to a riding buddy I work with (the HD rider in that video) about whether it is acceptable to pass other bikers that you do not know in the same lane.

My thought is: No, never. I don't know what they are suddenly going to do, how they ride, what they'll do if I piss them off, etc.

His thought is: if they are staying on the outside of the lane then it's ok.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
:rofl_200: :punk: Looked about right to me.

As for Passing other Bikes in the same Line, I only do it if I can get the other riders attention to let them know I'm going to pass.
Otherwise I just change lanes to pass them.

If its not someone I'm riding with, I go out into the other lane to pass. I would expect the same courtesey. If it would be inconvenient to pass in another lane (i.e. a line of opposing traffic) I think it would be acceptable to pass in the same lane as long as the rider being passed knew what was coming.

If I am riding with someone I know and we are comfortable riding together its a totally different story.

I wouldn't. You never know when the guy in front is going to switch from one side to the other of the lane. when you go by him, you"ll scare the crap out of him. That's based on a stranger in a regular passing situation. Maybe a little different with buddies in a group situation. Still about the awareness of the guy your passing.

Not ever! I ride close to the center lane to give myself the maximum amount of running room in either direction, should I need it. I don't like having my 'margin' used up by another bike and give other riders the same courtesy.

I may not strictly adhere to the 'passing/no passing' designations....figuring they are probly there for the slower bikes and don't really apply to a VMax...:biglaugh:....but I always pass in the other lane.

I ride in the left 1/3 of the lane so if they try to pass me it would have to be on the right - totally not a good thing. I move to the other lane to pass and like Danny said I would pass in the no passing zones as well.

This exact thing happened happened to me yesterday. I was on the far left side of the left lane cruising past traffic at about 75mph. Out of nowhere, a bike blows past me in my lane on my right. I never saw it coming and we are both lucky that I didn't change lane position. That being said, I would never do that to another rider. I will pass in the same lane, but only if it's someone I'm riding with and only if I'm sure that they are aware of my intention to pass. Otherwise, I just use another lane.

This exact thing happened happened to me yesterday. I was on the far left side of the left lane cruising past traffic at about 75mph. Out of nowhere, a bike blows past me in my lane on my right.

How does that make you "feel" :hmmm:

I've experienced it myself, and it sucks.:bang head:

Being passed didn't bother me. Some people just have more money to fork over to the state than I do. Having the shit scared out of me does bother me a little.

This exact thing happened happened to me yesterday. I was on the far left side of the left lane cruising past traffic at about 75mph. Out of nowhere, a bike blows past me in my lane on my right. I never saw it coming and we are both lucky that I didn't change lane position. That being said, I would never do that to another rider. I will pass in the same lane, but only if it's someone I'm riding with and only if I'm sure that they are aware of my intention to pass. Otherwise, I just use another lane.

I had that happen to me years ago, just cruisin' on a nice sunny day, 2 lane country road, drifting mentally, you know....out of nowhere some raggedy ol' pos harley blew by me on the right....oil flying, smoke billowing, flat out what,...105 or so :confused2:! Scared me so bad I nearly jumped off my fuckin' bike!!

I swore, if I came on him up the road, all crumpled up in the ditch I was gonna drive right by....fuck him!! :double angry bird:

He wants to throw his life out there on the table, fine by me....but don't put mine out there with it!

+1, if i dunno the bike, i change lanes to pass. imho, its plain rude otherwise, not to mention rather unsafe

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

No not ever.

A lot of other riders, especially those "guys" that group ride in formation and stagger left right and believe its bad form to not stay "your" left or right portion of the lane think its ok to pass in the same lane because they think everyone else rides the same whether with a group or not.

Guys I ride with all know that every bike OWNS their entire lane because they might NEED that whole lane to negotiate the best line through a corner.

Straight like riding we observe the same rule as well.

We always ride staggered when in a group, or even just be and a buddy. One will stick to the left side of the lane, the other right. If we need to communicate the person in front slows down until they're along side. This way you see them approaching, rather than the person in back speeding up and "surprising" the person in front. I've been riding with the same person for years, we pretty much know each other's habits.

I won't say I've never passed another biker in the same lane when in hooligan mode, actually made a riding buddy doing this. Last summer I believe it was like 1am and me and a buddy were hauling ass on this primo stretch of straight, downhill highway. Spotted another bike up ahead, in the left lane, obviously going much slower than we were (130+). I slid into the right lane and absolutely smoked by him, buddy did so a second or two later. It was a R6, the guy on it hammered it and caught back up to us until we stopped at a light. Wanted one of our phone numbers so he could ride with us "Everyone I know rides a harley and drives slow!". He actually knew what a vmax was also.

In general, especially if they're riding center of lane, or moving about in the lane, we wait for a passing lane opportunity. Sometimes they will see us behind them and give a little "come on by" wave, which is polite if you know you're holding up bikers behind you. We about killed this douche on a harley once, got to this prime twisty mountain stretch and of course instantly got stuck behind him, taking every corner at 30. Just one bike. He clearly knew we were behind him, since he flipped us off after flashing the brights at him. Easily could have just slid to one side and motioned us by, but instead was a dick and weaved around the lane constantly. Once it straightened out me and a buddy passed him on either side simultaneously.

I make sure i ride all over my lane if a bike follows me. I have moved over and blocked a pass. the way i see it if you want to pass me you will have to take it. I go around alot of bikes on us 12 but never in the same lane. Well unless its a fellow hooligan.

Years ago (in the early 80's) a group of us were riding to the motorcycle road races in Henderson, TX. We have been riding together since 1969 and have a routine. We were staggered and cruising about 80 or so. All of a sudden a Yamaha 650 Turbo passed all of us on the shoulder! Startled me completely as I never expected someone to do that on the shoulder. Must have been going 130 or so. Of course everyone got on it and chased him down as we were young and dumb in those days. :biglaugh:

Just as we pulled up to him, he pointed skyward and there was a Dallas police helicopter chasing him. We all hit the brakes and let him go.

Some time later we saw him pull in at the races and went over and asked what happened. Turns out he ran out of gas and was parked on the side of the road smoking a cigarette when local police pulled over. They were in radio contact with the police chopper and asked what they Dallas police wanted them to do since they hadn't observed any traffic violation and couldn't do anything. The Dallas police didn't want to send a car all the way from Dallas so they let him go. They even took him to a gas station to get gas for his bike. Had to be the luckiest guy in the world. :worthy:

To me passing someone on the right that you dont know....is a good way to get hurt. If I dont know the person, I will pass in the left hand lane.

No not ever.

A lot of other riders, especially those "guys" that group ride in formation and stagger left right and believe its bad form to not stay "your" left or right portion of the lane think its ok to pass in the same lane because they think everyone else rides the same whether with a group or not.

Guys I ride with all know that every bike OWNS their entire lane because they might NEED that whole lane to negotiate the best line through a corner.

Straight like riding we observe the same rule as well.

+1, the staggered formation also allows you to see further in front of you for any obstacles you want to avoid; like dead animals/ pot holes/ etc..
There are a few people I would feel ok riding with side by side. My brother and I talked about this quite a bit about what we would do if there was something in the road; the person on the left always had lane priority so if something was in the lane the person on right would fall behind and follow. Corners is single file only in my book.
Pointing out objects on the road is a must in group riding and makes the staggered riding full lane rights the only option for this reason.

I don't pass on the right but will pass on the left given enough room..if you don't like it get out of my friken way next time..lol. some of the hog guys and slower riders wont get out of your way even when it would be easy. But for the most part they give me room. I always move out of the way of faster riders if I see them coming...

Back