Steering Damper

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COP RUNNER

Reaction score
I HAVE READ THE THREADS ABOUT THE DEATH WOBBLE'S & THE FURBER FIX , ( HEAD SHAKE ) , DOES ANYONE USE A GOOD STEERING DAMPER & DO THEY WORK ON THE V-MAX ? :ummm:

I'm using an Shindy damper, I'm not sure that it really helps but it does look cool. Since I got every thing else sorted out I just leave it on the lowest setting.

Here's a pic of it.

Rusty

Attachments

• DSC00609rs.JPG
    DSC00609rs.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 176
Yeah I think you'd be better fixing what causes it, rather than sticking a band aid on it.

Radials go a LONG way towards a fix as well as correctly setting your neck bearings and stiffening the frame.:thumbs up:

My next purchace is going to be a dampner. On the roads we have up here, they are a big help.

Eventually I'm going to go with radials, but thats looking like more of a over the winter type of deal. Unless Guido gives me a call and tells me Chris aint watching over his bike.:whistlin:

My next purchace is going to be a dampner. On the roads we have up here, they are a big help.

Eventually I'm going to go with radials, but thats looking like more of a over the winter type of deal. Unless Guido gives me a call and tells me Chris aint watching over his bike.:whistlin:

Chris never watches over his bike... He's always got it locked in the garage or with a lock around the wheels to the frame if out traveling...:whistlin: I need to be careful with those wheels. They may go missing on me.:icon_rolleyes:

Correct.

Those dampers that are on the top like the sportbikes and track bikes run are much higher quality than my style, but I think they are hard to fit and WAY more expensive.

Rusty

I would make sure the steering head bearings are adjusted properly & drop the forks 1" into the triple trees before adding a damper. Try the stuff you can do for free first.

FUNNY THAT YOU SAY THAT , I DON'T HAVE HEAD SHAKE YET, AT LEAST NOT MY V-MAX"S HEAD ! "LOL" :rofl_200:BUT I LOWERED MY FORKS A INCH , 2 WEEKS AGO SUNDAY , I REMEMBERED WHAT SEAN MORLEY SAID A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO ON THE PHONE, HE SAID IT WOULD QUICKIN UP THE STEERING ! I HAVE'NT RIDEN IT ENOUGH TO NOTICE A DIFFERENCE , BUT WITH THAT FAT MAX BELLY PAN AND BEING LOWERED , IT LOOKS BAD AS HELL ! LIKE SOMETHING YOU TAKE OUT TO THE SALT FLATS, TO BREAK A LAND SPEED RECORD ! :cheers:

FUNNY THAT YOU SAY THAT , I DON'T HAVE HEAD SHAKE YET, AT LEAST NOT MY V-MAX"S HEAD ! "LOL" :rofl_200:BUT I LOWERED MY FORKS A INCH , 2 WEEKS AGO SUNDAY , I REMEMBERED WHAT SEAN MORLEY SAID A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO ON THE PHONE, HE SAID IT WOULD QUICKIN UP THE STEERING ! I HAVE'NT RIDEN IT ENOUGH TO NOTICE A DIFFERENCE , BUT WITH THAT FAT MAX BELLY PAN AND BEING LOWERED , IT LOOKS BAD AS HELL ! LIKE SOMETHING YOU TAKE OUT TO THE SALT FLATS, TO BREAK A LAND SPEED RECORD ! :cheers:

I can't imagine making the steering quicker to be a good thing. Mine wants to turn in before I want it to anyway, as if I have to counter steer more than any other bike I've ridden/owned. I want the steering slowed down! :icon_rolleyes:

I'm using an Shindy damper, I'm not sure that it really helps but it does look cool. Since I got every thing else sorted out I just leave it on the lowest setting.

Here's a pic of it.

Rusty

Rusty....I like the look of your bars. Are they broom handles...what are the specs?

FINALLY the thread i've been looking for. Rusty, can you put some pics up of up close of how it mounts to the frame? i'm tossing the idea of one trying to get rid of my 48 mph decel wobble...

did u have a decel wobble? if so did it help/fix it?

It could be a while before i get really detailed pics, kind of pre-occupied right now.

I didn't have to cut that much out of the neck cover, and I have two switches mounted on the left neck cover that are not in the way of the damper.

The damper I don't think is needed at all on a well set up bike, mine is more of a play pretty.

I think too much damping masking a wobble simply drives the wobble forces back into the frame and creates a feel of oscillation through the frame instead of a front end wobble.

I will say that if you have a low speed decell wobble that you neck bearing are probably too loose, assuming your tires are good and inflated properly.

I'd fix your wobble and then think about a damper.

Make sure the neck bearings are good, get the front wheel of the ground and slowly move it lock to lock and make sure there are no "detents", this isn't the bounce test.

My neck bearings were tits up at 9300 miles when I bought the bike.

Make your rubber is GOOD and well balance with no wierd wear pattersn.

Adjust your neck bearings tighter bit by bit till the bikes tendency to "self correct" to run straight at 30-40 or so begins to go away, you'll notice this as a barely perceptible weave when running at that speed because the steering is tight enough that the bikes geometry doesn't "fall to center" naturally, when you find this point then back it off/loosen it a little till it self corrects again and the neck bearing should be about right.

You can do the "bounce test" also but i've not had so much luck with that

Something else to consider is that the very top nut on the steering really does matter as to how tight it is, I don't understand why but it does, but after setting the bearing tension, then set the top nut.
I use a 1 1/16" wrench and get it good and firm without really tightening the crap out of it, it's probably at around 45-50 ft/lbs or so, which is probably more than the book calls for but it works for me.

Anyone is welcome to contest my theories cause I ain't all that, but it worked for me.

Rusty

thanks for all the info rusty. i've been fighting with my wobble for a while now and have another method to try along with yours now! i also am gonna try a new rim/front wheel when i get a chance and am in the albany area. let me know if u get some close ups i'd still like to take a peek. thanks again man!

Hey rusty couple questions about your way to test this...

1. you are saying to tighten until the self-correcting at 30-40mph is gone. is that a hands off decel to check if the self correcting is gone? or is it even with hands on. i gotta imagine depending if your hands are on o roff the bars depends how bad the non-self correcting is.
2. the factory torque on that nut is 80 ft lbs, so i think your 40-50 should be good. i use a 27mm gear wrench to do it myself, but same idea.

the bounce test has made things better for me but hasn't fixed it. i have another idea to try as well. its a pretty minimal wobble and only decel. stable as a rock on accel all the way to mid 140's

save your money on the rim. My 06 has the same issue try a little more or less air pressure in the front tire also. I bumped mine up to 40 and it is alot better. I have done the furbur fix the only thing that every make s a difference is when I install a new tire. The old one is not worn out just cupped.

save your money on the rim. My 06 has the same issue try a little more or less air pressure in the front tire also. I bumped mine up to 40 and it is alot better. I have done the furbur fix the only thing that every make s a difference is when I install a new tire. The old one is not worn out just cupped.

its happened since the tire had at least 150 miles on it... tire may be a little out of whack tho. I'm not gonna buy a new tire/rim, danny's gonna let me try his so that isn't a problem..

but i want to try everyone else's suggestions first before pursuing the steering damper idea, as most say it doesn't do anything, even bandaid the problem.

Thanks Rusty. I've been saying that on the max with the rake we have this would be nothing more than an adhesive bandage to cover up the real issue.

Maxes don't have the issue when setup right so my goal would be to figure out what's causing it. I know you've tried...

Chris

Latest posts

Back