Strange "vmax" noises.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killjoy

Reaction score
Apparently clutch basket rumble/chatter, and God awful clunky shifting are just the norm for a 32yr old vmax with 17k milrs. Just had to say this thing shifts with ass punching notchieness. I guess the newer ones didn't have this problem. Just changed the plugs. Felt like bitching after my first week of riding it to work daily. Lol

+1 to MaxMidnight,
I also have found the removal of the 1/2 plate etc. can cause clunky shifting, and a hard to find neutral. You might want to start with replacing (evacuating) your clutch fluid, re-fill & re-bleed the system. 17K on a clutch basket shouldn't be your issue unless someone was beating the hell out of it.

The very last one that sits all the way in the back against the clutch basket. Its only got friction material on one side and is a little thinner than a plate with material on both sides. Swapping it for a plate with material on both sides will help give the clutch more grab.

The 1/2 plate, is also known as a half disk. Stock from the factory, yamaha put in a half disk, so if you beat on the bike, the first thing that will slip, is the clutch (to help avoid breaking something else). It pretty standard practice to replace the 1/2 disk, with a full disk to help to clutch to grab better.

Going from a half disk to a full disk is ONE of the steps that is outlined in doing to DD mod.

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/clutch.htm

OK , thanks!
They do make a noise when we shift tho.
Like when Your at a light and put it in 1st to leave.

Neutral is hard to find, and I was told it had a DD clutch mod. And I did bleed the clutch, brakes, and replaced all fluids when I got it. Only other weird noise I get is a strange rubbing/scraping noise on cold starts, and a strange tick from the front cylinder head around 2500-3k just cruising. Probably timing chain tensioner. And this thing vibrates like hell. Much more than I would expect from a counter balanced engine. I'm trying to give myself a reason to tear it all apart this winter. Lol

What oil are you running? A lot of people (myself included) find that neutral is easier to find with fresh oil, and fresh rotella 15-40 ontop of that.

Are you starting it up in neutral.....and letting it idle that way? These bikes are very noisy. Pull in the clutch and you can see the difference in the noise.

Check out simple stuff first, for vibrations. Are the tires in good shape, are the tires balanced.....and balanced well?

Have the carbs been syncd lately? Do you know the last time the valves were done? What do the plugs look like?

I replaced the plugs, old plugs looked great.

I rebuilt and synched the carbs, no vacuum leaks, runs excellent.

I run the same oil I have ran in every motorcycle I have ever owned, Castrol 10w40 conventional, non energy conserving.

I start in neutral. Clutch is quirter with lever in (disengaged).

Metzler marathon me880 tires are in great shape aired up to factor spec.

Just vibrates a lot. Feels like there is a rumble from the final drive but it was full of fluid and I replaced it anyway with no change in symptoms.

Maybe it's just normal vmax stuff.

What's the 1/2 plate you guy's are talking about?

The half plate is #7 but the arrangement also includes #4 (retaining wire), 5 (seat plate) and 6 (clutch boss spring). The purpose (i'm assuming) is that the spring acts (#6) as a shock absorber when changing gear and when in neutral.

It is possible to replace the above with a full plate which should reduce clutch slip but the down side is that the shock absorption provided by the spring is lost.

picture.php

Thanks guy's. I went on the link also and it's pretty clear now.
Kind of a built in safety.

Back