Click Click WT#?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trondyne

Reaction score
I am really concerned... I was getting on the highway earlier and not sure what gear I was in at the time... Bike was in gear and I grabbed a handful of throttle ... The bike starts to go but then I hear CLICK, then a sudden power loss to rear wheel (0.3-0.4 seconds) then power resumes then CLICK again, power loss again for same time and then power resumes.... This has never happened before...

I am really concerned about this, I have very little money now for a disaster repair and I need the bike to get around... I tried giving power again after that and it did not repeat...

Can anyone tell me what this most likely is? I am assuming drivetrain but not 100% sure... Is there anything I can do?

Thank you...

Did you lose electrical (lights) when you lost power? Or was it as it was fuel starved? I'm sure the experts will be replying soon so the more info you can provide the better they will be able to help.

Did you lose electrical (lights) when you lost power? Or was it as it was fuel starved? I'm sure the experts will be replying soon so the more info you can provide the better they will be able to help.

Since it was light out I can't be sure of no electrical loss but my gut says no.... My feeling was that it was mechanical but I really can't be sure... As if a gear popped or slipped a tooth but the loss of power was so brief that I can't be sure and it was just one click -- no power -- power -- click -- no power and then back to normal..I don't recall hearing any change in the motor sound as you would expect with a no spark or no fuel...

What was unusual at the time is that I was doing low revs (not that low but not high) and then grabbed a handful of throttle which I would think, would place more load on the drivetrain (max throttle no downshift and something gave way).... The sound seemed to come from below me... I was thinking differential but again I really have no idea... I have never heard or felt anything like this in decades of riding....

CLICK, like, you can hear this CLICK noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLICK, like, you can hear this CLICK noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes very much so... It sounded like something snapped or popped but yes CLICK... it sounded mechanical but I have no idea and now 10 hours later even less certain... I took it out again on the highway and no issues... I didn't push it as hard though....

Best guess I have after riding again and it happened again is a pop out of gear and then back into gear... When I ride with my sneakers sometimes my shifts are weak because of the location of the shifter and soft shoes... At times a shift doesn't happen because I didn't get enough force on the shifter... This never happens except with my soft sneakers...

So perhaps the last shift was so weak that it wasn't fully in gear? Then popped out and back in again? The last time it did sound more like a click or pop and then teeth clicking very briefly until it went back in gear...

I am going to try again with my regular riding shoes and see if it happens again...

I hope it's just something stupid like a weak shift on my part...

Any particular gear? Sounds a little like the worn out second gear. My old 85 with bad second would do something similar at 5-6k rpm. I don't recall much of an audible click as it was just a loss of power though. Try to power through second gear a few times to possibly rule out bad second gear.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Any particular gear? Sounds a little like the worn out second gear. My old 85 with bad second would do something similar at 5-6k rpm. I don't recall much of an audible click as it was just a loss of power though. Try to power through second gear a few times to possibly rule out bad second gear.

Yeah, I had heard something about that... I will give it a try now, with my riding shoes...

How expensive is it to fix that second gear problem if that was the case?

It never popped out of gear before and doesn't now under normal driving stresses...

Well I took her out and made some solid shifts with my leather shoes and it ripped through all gears with no problem... Then I get off the highway thinking everything is okay and something happened similar to the problem yet a little different like some kind of small lurching power on/off thing to the rear wheel but it was so brief I couldn't tell what happened really...

Then on the way home I tried to get it to do it again but nothing, just smooth in all gears with varying throttle...

All I came away with was a reminder of how much I love this bike... It has flaws and things I wish I could afford to fix but this remains my favorite vehicle among all I have owned...including a beloved Corvette...

I hope whatever the problem is it's not too serious and I hope that at some point I can afford to get the bike in tip top shape and the way I want it to be...

I've had missed shifts, and engine revs line no other....... Red line and past because I was shifting near red line, and missed a gear. I swapped over to the GP style shifting, no more missed shifts ever again. Only thing I can think is it popped back threw the carb. Would be a very audible click, or pop noise, and also a loss of power for a second. I'd think if it was drivetrain related the engine would Rev, not lose power. I snapped a shaft going into second gear. Lost driving power, but the engine was fine.

Yeah, I had heard something about that... I will give it a try now, with my riding shoes...

How expensive is it to fix that second gear problem if that was the case?

It never popped out of gear before and doesn't now under normal driving stresses...
In my area the only mechanic I would trust to have worked on my bike quoted me $2200-$2800 for new second gear and assumed to replace the other parts associated with the problem. I did not get the fix done. I traded bike for a riding lawnmower with full disclosure to the other party of the issue.
If you do the work yourself and get parts from this forum I believe you could be as low as a few hundred. Morley sells all you would need to upgrade but I don't recall price.

I've had missed shifts, and engine revs line no other....... Red line and past because I was shifting near red line, and missed a gear. I swapped over to the GP style shifting, no more missed shifts ever again. Only thing I can think is it popped back threw the carb. Would be a very audible click, or pop noise, and also a loss of power for a second. I'd think if it was drivetrain related the engine would Rev, not lose power. I snapped a shaft going into second gear. Lost driving power, but the engine was fine.

Power loss is to the wheel.... Engine doesn't drop out if anything it sounded like it revved up slightly but this happens very quickly...

If it gets worse it will be easier to explain and perhaps video...

In my area the only mechanic I would trust to have worked on my bike quoted me $2200-$2800 for new second gear and assumed to replace the other parts associated with the problem. I did not get the fix done. I traded bike for a riding lawnmower with full disclosure to the other party of the issue.
If you do the work yourself and get parts from this forum I believe you could be as low as a few hundred. Morley sells all you would need to upgrade but I don't recall price.

Yikes, no way I could do either option... Not now anyway... Maybe it's that segment/indexer thing...?

Most of the time it runs fine through the gears... I don't know if that means anything or not.

Power loss is to the wheel.... Engine doesn't drop out if anything it sounded like it revved up slightly but this happens very quickly...

If it gets worse it will be easier to explain and perhaps video...

Gotcha, yeah intermittent problems are a pain. Until it actually starts doing it more often, it's gonna be a guessing game unfortunately.

Had weird things happening under power and going over road snakes and other small rocks. Tire slips just for a moment. I've also wondered about the tire slipping on the rim. Noticed the other day that the balance marks are but lined up on the rear tire anymore.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Bias ply vs. radial tires seem to exaggerate the slipping across tar snakes. The tar snakes should be outlawed when they cover more than half the lane or in corners, they are unsettling to say the least.

Okay, well I have more of a handle now on what it's doing... Not sure if it's doing more or if I am just tuning in to what it's doing...

It appears to be the clutch... :(

It was really a quick slip so short I couldn't tell what happened at first but now it is clearly slipping for a fraction of a second and then grabbing again... My other bikes acted a little differently when the clutch was going...

Now, it does slip mainly when taking off and usually in 2nd gear... It's a clean slip then grab, then slip then grab...all under a second or 2... The odd thing is that when I would expect it to slip like suddenly opening the throttle in high gear and low RPMs it doesn't... So it will act normally 98% of the time and then out of nowhere slip... I don't know if this means anything in particular or not...

I assume this means a clutch rebuild with springs? Money is a problem right now so if there are any cheaper options or stop gap measures I would be interested to hear about them...

It did slip at least 3 or 4 times this morning but she kept up with some spirited sport bikes without complaining and I chased a Mustang that was flying.. Then when I decided to let him go he broke out again and passed another car but now briefly flashing his police lights... Oops... LOL... She is still a pleasure to break the speed limit with... :D

Your clutch is more likely to slip when lugging 5th gear vs. Riding in 2nd.

Vmax has a diaohragm spring. Its most likely not bad.

Clean the steels with scotch bite, light sandpaper, bead blast, etc. As long as thickness is in spec and they haven't been overheated (they discolor/blue) they can be reused.

Check the frictions. Are they within spec? Are they burnt? OEM yamaha is the best replacement.

Read up on the DD mod. I would replace the half disk in the stack with a full. You can double up the springs too but im not sure i would do that again unless i was making a bunch more HP than stock

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Your clutch is more likely to slip when lugging 5th gear vs. Riding in 2nd.

Vmax has a diaohragm spring. Its most likely not bad.

Clean the steels with scotch bite, light sandpaper, bead blast, etc. As long as thickness is in spec and they haven't been overheated (they discolor/blue) they can be reused.

Check the frictions. Are they within spec? Are they burnt? OEM yamaha is the best replacement.

Read up on the DD mod. I would replace the half disk in the stack with a full. You can double up the springs too but im not sure i would do that again unless i was making a bunch more HP than stock

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

+1 the clutch is the weak point, and for good reason. It's got enough torque in stock form to snap a shaft. I did the DD mod, attempting a rolling burnout from first to second and the shaft couldn't handle it. $30 and a week later I was motoring again. No more rolling burnouts lol.I got everything from Sean when I replaced the clutches, and did the DD mod.

Well after the feedback here I went out again tonight and now I really don't know WTF to think...

Here's what I have now..

Slips only in second...

Slips only in second on upshift... 1 to 2 not 3 to 2

Slips briefly then is ok...sometimes repeats...

Slips only when running lowish RPMs and then hitting the throttle... (based on limited testing)

Has not slipped when doing a hard run all the way through 1st or close to it and then running through 2nd...

Slip feels like a clutch but it makes no sense that it is only in 2nd so I assume it may be popping out of gear and then back in but revs only jump up by 2K or less with no mechanical gear sounds when grabbing again....

Never had this trouble before,,, Got bike end last year and has about 38K Miles on it....

How screwed am I?

Latest posts

Back