1997 VMax Un-molestation

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it looks OK being the same color, left in-place. It reminds me of the 1970's AMG Mercedes-Benz cars that were all one color, usually white or black. Stealth identification.

ClickHandler.ashx

I fucking love AMG. "Biturbo V12" ftw. I miss my S600, not an AMG but had AMG exh, turbos and comps. I love the Germans!

If you only have a base coat it would be no real big deal to remove the sticker, wet sant and re spray? Im no pro but just thinking that by the time you have primer, base coats and clear coats it might loose enough definition under the thickness that it may not look quite right. Again not a pro, the guys on this forum walked me through a very nice paint job and its the only one Ive done. Either way it should look cool

Photo time.

P1000304.jpg

P1000305.jpg

P1000306.jpg

P1000307.jpg

It came out amazing.

However it was soooo tempting to clear coat over this.

5f330663-5823-449e-adc0-f6b365b64c16.jpg

I absolutely love the rat-rod paint look.

I'm also going to be waiting a few days before wet sanding it, and then using cutting compound. I want the parts to have a few good days of cure time before I make sure everything is smooth for the final time.

How did I do it? Well.. there will be a video coming out for it soon.

To start off, I got my how to do it from a really good friend. He manages a bodyshop, and has been for 5 + years now. He started in bodywork when he was fresh out of high school and has been doing it since. He was slowly promoted from with in... so it isn't as if he's a Walmart manager who moves into a repair shop and thinks he knows what he's doing. The shop is well known for the great work that they do...

So, I brought him the stuff wanting him to paint it, and he gave me the cold shoulder saying how I should do it myself.. and yada yada. So he didn't paint in. Instead he gave me instructions.

He said, sand with 600, primer over 600 sanded. Sand primer with 600, then 800, then 1600. Paint base coat over 1600. Then paint clear on. Wait a few days and wet sand + cutting compound. He said if I couldn't get 1600, 1200 would work.

So.. I did everything except I didn't use 800, and I substituted 1600 for 1500 since Sherwin Williams in my area didn't have what I needed. It was too nice and warm outside to waste the opportunity... it was the best it is going to be for the next month.

I went to advanced auto and got the primer, base coat and clear coat from duplicator. Worked great.

Took me 1 day of prep, and 2 days of part time painting.

The worst part is I spent $20 on wax and grease remover from sherwin Williams. They promised me it was paint safe, plastic safe.. everything. They instructed me to use it before primer, and before base coat. It wasn't, and ended up melting the paint on the tank. I had to wait for it to cure, and then resand and contour everything. I was mad.

Its looking great. I spent a fair amount on paints, primers, clear coat and materials. The finest grit I had was 1000, 1600 must be super smooth. Waiting is the hardest part.

A8CE7CB0-AC90-4CAF-8070-01D7A4D97288.jpg

A97266B1-4D6D-4B8C-BB49-402501D9712E.jpg

So.. shes getting the CBR600 tail light mod done.

Uhh.. and I have to put mirrors on it.

Tires will need to be replaced at some point.. there was a little bit of weather checking on them.. so I wont bother rubbing the red paint off of the tires.

I've decided that at some point I'm going to disassemble the front end again and have the triple tree, forks, and fork brace all powedercoated. I've already had a few spots chip. It is easy to touch up, and i'll bare it for the reason. Long term I'll just have it done properly. The rustoleum/valspar parts already have a slight fade to them. I guess I shouldn't have expected too terribly much from a $6 can. Upset at myself for wasting so much time with it... but it is a learning experience I guess.

Hello Gulrok,

I am in Vancouver, Canada. Where should I go to get new/used parts for my Vmax 97?

Any good online dealers here in Canada or the US?

Thank you for your time.

Gladiator208

Hello Gulrok,

I am in Vancouver, Canada. Where should I go to get new/used parts for my Vmax 97?

Any good online dealers here in Canada or the US?

Thank you for your time.

Gladiator208

Sean Morley comes to mind. His email is [email protected]

He ships to Canada.

Also Capt Kyle (here on the forum) also has a lot of used parts.

I would definitively go for members here first. Sean Morley, and even others floating about will give you the best deals and service you'll get here.

The Facebook group "vmax club" is another great alternative for parts too.

Lastly I would look at EBay... there's things you won't find anywhere else but there.. primarily aftermarket is what I use eBay for.

Partzilla and Boat.net I've ordered new parts from as well.

It seems I haven't updated my build thread in awhile.

Here is my bike today.
36474385610_bd79fcd4c0_b.jpg

I also picked up a used seat today which is pretty solid for the most part. There aren't any tears in the vinyl.. but it is more of a gray colored seat. I haven't decided if I'm going to cut down the seat, or do a trade in and get the sportmax seat.

The corbin seat will be for sale, so if anyone is interested let me know.

I also found an exhaust I was interested in. However its $700.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-V-Ma...ash=item3adfb212fb:g:8EMAAOSw44BYWsEM&vxp=mtr

It is a 4 into 1 exhaust. I personally like that style a lot better because I feel it looks cleaner.

Last edited:
That exhaust would go great with your paint!
Looks really good!
I'm a traditionalist, I like the stock' ish 4 into 2 but that's me.
The most I'd go would be the Delvic slip on's. LOL!

I haven't updated in awhile. But I decided to name the bike Marceline. Why not?

I also had done a COP upgrade, and changed the seat to a stock seat reskinned in black.

Jeeze. Anything else? Oh yeah. A marks exhaust. I'll have photos soon, but while I wait I'll just do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3mj0zTDO0I

Got the bike to start again.. had an issue with a harness plug pulling out. I also dielectric grease, and that will be going in all the electrical harness plugs I can get to. Might as well...

Probably going to shoot an email to the BRC Carb Shop, to let him check stuff out on it. He is the expert right?

Also ordered a new rear fender, and front fender to get painted along with the tank, and tachometer cover. Just cleaning stuff up and preparing it for spring.

I ordered vmax knee plates but in black..

s-l500.jpg

( Just the photo listing on ebay )

Because I have a bad habit of touching the engine head/valve cover with my knees and burning them. More to come.

Latest posts

Back