Fuel Pump Replacement Option?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
I discovered that the plastic center piece on my fuel pump is cracked and leaking. I temporarily repaired it with some special rubberized tape, but the pump must be replaced.

Will any of these work as a replacement? I'm trying to save money. Not sure what PSI is required.

This was my first choice (Holley Universal, 4-7 PSI):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holley-12-427-Universal-Gas-Diesel-32-GPH-Fuel-Pump-/151406339002?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23408563ba&vxp=mtr

Others:

4-7 PSI
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mr-Gasket-12E-Electric-Fuel-Pump-/311256168687?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item48785038ef&vxp=mtr

Or this?

2-3.5 PSI
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mr-Gasket-42S-Electric-Fuel-Pump-/310383132123?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item484446bddb

Bosch universal?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BOSCH-UNIVERSAL-FUEL-PUMP-69405-FOR-CHEVROLET-DODGE-AND-TOYOTA-1952-1993-/360897045296?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item540723e330&vxp=mtr

EDIT:
After searching this out, I found that Sean made a comment to find one with around 3 PSI, with auto shutoff. Not sure if the ones above have auto shutoff.

Why did they use a 5/16" in and 1/4" out pump on these things?!?! So aggravating when fixing stuff.

Plus one would think the volume coming out of a 5/16 line to a small carb /needle seat set up on the vmax would be too much....but Danny's right,gotta keep the supply there for you know.....throttle twist time lol

Does the factory pump have a huge Mitsubishi logo on it? Mine does, I thought that was a little weird.

Does the factory pump have a huge Mitsubishi logo on it? Mine does, I thought that was a little weird.
Yes it does have a mitsubishi logo on the back. The one in the ad above will put the stock one to shame. Get the lifetime warranty.

Have had fuel pump issues with the diaphragms popping out. I replaced the diaphram and checked how much fuel came from the pump, then hooked up the mr gasket 42 s which put out twice the fuel, I am going to try it out in a couple weeks, when i have time to put on the hardware which will reduce the length. Has anyone done this and how did your bike work after installation? Message me if you have done this. I will let you know what happens after installation. I am going to try to fit it under the passenger seat.

HELP! I just purchased a 2001 Vmax with a stage 7 jet kit, vboost removed and aftermarket Kerker exhaust. I was having some problems with keeping the bike idling properly (or at all for that matter) especially once it was hot. It always needed to be run with the choke on. So I decide try messing around with the idle adjustment and seeing if ghat would help. All seemed well so I go on a drive (still leaving the choke partially on). Every time I go to take off the bike surges so bad it’s like it’s trying to come out from underneath me until I get it rolling. So I gave it less throttle at the start and kept going. Ran like a beast after you get rolling and go throughout the rpm’s but I can still tell it wants to die if I let it idle. So I start to turn around and head home but I’m forced to stop at a light and what do you know the bike dies on me from what seemed to be low fuel. Took me 20-30 minutes trying to run it on choke before I got it running long enough to wack the throttle and get to a gas station where it died as I pulled in. I filled it up. Tried to let it cool down for a few minutes and it still would not start easy. I eventually get it going and take off fast making sure not to let the rpm’s fall all the way down. But now it’s popping as I let off the throttle on deceleration. I eventually get home and it dies immediately after idling. So I could only assume at this point the carbs needed a full tear down and cleaning, witch I did as well as drain and clean out the fuel tank. So I filled it up and go to fire the it up and NO FUEL PUMP… primes every time you flip the key or hit the kill switch but won’t pull fuel into the filter. Guess I’m curious on how to be sure the pump is bad or it’s not some weird fluke like it needs to be primed. It feels as tho there’s no suction when I put my figure on the fuel line and cycle it on. Maybe the pump was my problem all along?? Any thoughts?!?

Latest posts

Back