Starting problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Trogdor

Reaction score
So i got a new to me 96 with roughly 30k miles on it. Found myself unable to start it the day after I bought it. The previous owner made a comment about how he just put a new battery but didnt charge it up. I check it sitting at 12.6 volts then drops down to about 8 while cranking.

I got a new battery hoping the old one was junk. Anyway the new battery is installed and when I push the start button it kinda sounds like a dying cat screaming at you. Haha. I can hear the engine turning over it just sounds real slow. I ran jumper cables to my truck battery (truck off) and tried again and it makes the same noise just a bit higher pitched. I was able to push start the bike and had no power loss issues or anything like that.

Now ive been doing some reading on this and it seems everybody has had issues with the starter clutch at some point but im not sure if its that or the starter motor. It does not have the "bucket of rocks" sound that people seem to get most of the time. Any sagely advice out there? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Maybe some one else can chime in but mine has always sounded slow (compared to almost every other bike I have owned)when the starter is hit, but it always starts. And I did also buy another battery but it never turned over any faster. So now I have a spare battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt Trogdor,
First thing for you to know is there are two types of starters, a 2-pole and a 4-pole. The 4-pole is the better, faster spinning starter. If you can take some pics & post them of the starter we might be able to ID it for you. The few other things I would recommend is to inspect the full length of the starter cable as it might be melted to the exhaust pipe or grounding out. Another thing is to inspect/test is the starter solenoid (located under the seat) for proper function of passing current etc. Lastly are you using a NON-Motorcycle synthetic oil?

It does not have the "bucket of rocks" sound that people seem to get most of the time. Any sagely advice out there? Thanks in advance.

I've found that the "Box of Rocks" sound, is the 1st hint that the starter clutch needs to be addressed. When the starter clutch has gotten so loose, that it no longer engages, it sounds like a high pitched whine, or, as you've so eloquently described "like a dying cat screaming at you" lol.

Capt Trogdor,
First thing for you to know is there are two types of starters, a 2-pole and a 4-pole. The 4-pole is the better, faster spinning starter. If you can take some pics & post them of the starter we might be able to ID it for you. The few other things I would recommend is to inspect the full length of the starter cable as it might be melted to the exhaust pipe or grounding out. Another thing is to inspect/test is the starter solenoid (located under the seat) for proper function of passing current etc. Lastly are you using a NON-Motorcycle synthetic oil?
Today the new starter showed up and i installed it. It looks nearly identical to the old one. I'll get some pictures when i get home. Also i just did an oil change and put in the rotella 15w-40. I wasnt sure what the previous owner was running so i put in the semi synthetic.

I've found that the "Box of Rocks" sound, is the 1st hint that the starter clutch needs to be addressed. When the starter clutch has gotten so loose, that it no longer engages, it sounds like a high pitched whine, or, as you've so eloquently described "like a dying cat screaming at you" lol.
Sounds like that could be whats going on. You can hear the engine trying to turn over and it will every so often but not at a constant rate. I could imagine it slipping on an extreme scale as a cause of this. I suppose im going to be diving into this infamous starter clutch next.

Problem located. Starter clutch. The problem now is that it looks like somebody already tried to r&r the thing and severly damaged the flywheel rotor. It took some SERIOUS doing to remove it. But now i need a new rotor. New they are very pricy. Anybody got any ideas?

Problem located. Starter clutch. The problem now is that it looks like somebody already tried to r&r the thing and severly damaged the flywheel rotor. It took some SERIOUS doing to remove it. But now i need a new rotor. New they are very pricy. Anybody got any ideas?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I'd think Sean would have a used one. What happened that it's not useable? They are pretty indestructible.

As SDT354 mentioned,, that flywheel is a pretty tough piece of hardware. You might want to post some images before making any purchases. Just to make sure its something that must be replaced..

The problem now is that it looks like somebody already tried to r&r the thing and severly damaged the flywheel rotor.
Also note: any mods to the Regulator / Rectifier (R&R) does not happen under the stator cover.
If your setup is stock, and anything like my 91, the R&R sits under the left passengers foot peg.

As you can see in the videos below, Sean shows how to remove and inspect the starter clutch, which involves removal and inspection of the flywheel.

Flywheel Removal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePW96hG2Ojw

Starter Clutch Removal and inspection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf33AGRTZ6s

I am assuming I have a 2-pole starter. Is there a way to identify with out opening it?
Also when buying a new one are the 4-pole starters listed as such?

2-pole have a large head phillips screw on the body.

977873660c2ccc1ac1658f687d23c0d4.png

Latest posts

Back