Metzeler me888

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shredder

Reaction score
Any one running the triple 8's? I know the 880 is pretty popular. Just wondering if the triple 8 is better or worse.

Yes, the 888 is the only tire available in the 170/80-15 now since the 880 discontinued that size.

I've never used an 888 rear but I did use an 880 rear once and it was only OK in the curves.
It's a harder tire so it's no where near as sticky as the Shinko TM 230 or even the Bridgestone Exedra Max I have on now.

I've never used an 888 rear but I did use an 880 rear once and it was only OK in the curves.
It's a harder tire so it's no where near as sticky as the Shinko TM 230 or even the Bridgestone Exedra Max I have on now.
In running bridgestone exedras right now. I like to beable to hit the curves pretty hard without worrying about my tire slipping out.

I guess shinko will be the way to go but id like something that will last also. I know they are known for wearing fast.

The Shinko TM230 rear's last me between 4,500 and 5k miles which is the same as every other V rated rear tire I have ever used.
The H rated Metzeler 880 rear lasted me about 7k miles and was no where near as sticky as the Shinko.
If you give it too much throttle while in a curve the Metzeler can slip out, the Shinko won't.
I ride mostly on twisty, hilly back roads and my favorite combo so far in a Bridgestone Battlax BT-45V front with a Shinko TM 230 rear.

PS
The stock Bridgestone Exedra and Dunlop Qualifier rear tires are Horrible in the curves.
I actually leaned over far enough to catch the lip on the OEM Exedra once and my Vmax skipped across the road like I was on a pogo stick, it scared the crap out of me.
The Bridgestone Exedra Max is better (rounder profile and softer compound) but not as sticky as the Shinko TM230.
I have about 3k on the Exedra max rear and it is about 1/2 worn, so it should last between 5-6k.
When it is dead I will definitely be getting another Shinko TM 230 rear tire.

4 to 5k dont sound too bad. Sounds like everything i hear is shinkos are the way to go as long as you dont do burnout. Which i dont cuz i dont like to buy tires alot. Lol why not run a shinko in the front also? What makes you run the battlax?

The Battlax front just seems to handle better than any other front tire I have tired so far (And I've tried pretty much every front tire that fits the rim.)
I used to run the Metzeler Lasrtec but I like the Battlax even more.
The Battlax has a pretty steep profile, is fairly soft for good grip and the pattern is very similar to the Shinko TM 230 pattern.

I have never tried a Shinko TM 230 front though so I' thinking I might try one next time I need a front tire.

Attachments

• Shinko-TM230-Rear-Battlax-BT45V-Front.jpg
    Shinko-TM230-Rear-Battlax-BT45V-Front.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 29
The Battlax front just seems to handle better than any other front tire I have tired so far (And I've tried pretty much every front tire that fits the rim.)
I used to run the Metzeler Lasrtec but I like the Battlax even more.
The Battlax has a pretty steep profile, is fairly soft for good grip and the pattern is very close to the Shinko TM 230 pattern.

I have never tried a Shinko TM 230 front though so I' thinking I might try one next time I need a front tire.
The Shinko is nothing to write home about with the grip but it does last. I have them on front and rear. Hence the TOUR Master. I have 2500 miles on my set and they still look new.

The Shinko is nothing to write home about with the grip but it does last. I have them on front and rear. Hence the TOUR Master. I have 2500 miles on my set and they still look new.
Alot of guys seem to love the shinkos. But i just feel like well they are shinkos. You get what you pay for. I always like the bridgestone battlax s20s on my last bike. Really wish i could run those on my max but of course dont make the right size.

Alot of guys seem to love the shinkos. But i just feel like well they are shinkos. You get what you pay for. I always like the bridgestone battlax s20s on my last bike. Really wish i could run those on my max but of course dont make the right size.
I pay $400 a set for my 3 gsxr 1100's tires but then again it's a gsxr and handles completely different than a Vmax.------Can you say that on this site-gsxr?:ummm:
I guess that's why I buy Shinko Tourmasters for the cruiser.

I pay $400 a set for my 3 gsxr 1100's tires but then again it's a gsxr and handles completely different than a Vmax.------Can you say that on this site-gsxr?:ummm:
I guess that's why I buy Shinko Tourmasters for the cruiser.
Yea its a cruiser.... but on steroids. I guess the shinkos are cheap enough to give a try. I just like to hit it hard in the twisties. I ride with alot of rocket guys who had a hard time hanging with me on my fz1. Id like to see what they got against a max lol

Yea its a cruiser.... but on steroids. I guess the shinkos are cheap enough to give a try. I just like to hit it hard in the twisties. I ride with alot of rocket guys who had a hard time hanging with me on my fz1. Id like to see what they got against a max lol

I had shinkos on mine, and loved them. They even hooked well in the rain.

Latest posts

Back