How screwed am I?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMaxx

Reaction score
So I went to do a tune up on my bike - pea-shooter, change plugs, change oil...in that order. I pulled off the air box and ran the bike BEFORE doing the pea-shooter. Noticed that the crank case breather hose was steaming slightly and had some white sludge inside...thought oh crap that doesnt' look good. I opened up the trap inside of air box and it was caked with white sludge. I've only put on a couple hundred miles so far this season and haven't noticed a drop in coolant yet. Also, the oil looked fine. Are the head gaskets just slowly leaking? Pics of the air box and the plugs. The plugs were wet with some oil...

1st and 4th plugs are rich, I've heard of the sludge often- crankcase breather blow-by condensation. Are you running a K&N filter?Quite common-check your oil level too.

During VBoost and higher RPM, the vacuum from the air box can draw oil up into the air box from the crankcase breather. The white is probably from condensation in the air box mixing with the oil.

Thanks, well that's certainly a relief! I was afraid it was an early sign of head gasket failure, but the condensation makes sense. Yes, I have a K&N filter. I've only put 1000 miles on the bike since owning it, so I'm just starting to get my baseline for all the maintenance.

2 of the vacuum slides are very sticky to move by hand, 2 move nice and freely.

The tuning is definitely out of whack a bit. All the mixture screws were at 3.5 turns which was way too rich. I'm going to tear the carbs apart next winter and see what's been messed with. It has some mystery Stage 1 jet kit apparently. Not sure if that means the needles were tampered with too.

I use wd-40 on the slide only. I know you didn't do many miles but a freshly oiled K&N will lose some of its oil too.

Ok, I'll have to try that. Yes, the K&N appeared to be over-oiled!

If you are not loosing coolant then, as previously suggested, the most likely cause is condensation.
This will happen if the bike is used for short runs, i.e. before the motor gets up to operating temperature. Depending on ambient temperatures this can take up to ten miles.
Also starting the bike 'to warm it up' without running it will also contribute to the condition.
The moral is not to use the bike for short runs and (almost) never start the bike unless you intend to ride it.

Considering that my commute to work is only 10 miles and it's only 1/2 way up the temp gauge, this all makes sense. In those 1000miles I've put on, I've never heard the fan kick on.

I use wd-40 on the slide only. I know you didn't do many miles but a freshly oiled K&N will lose some of its oil too.
+1. I also lightly mist a lint free rag and clean the slide bores.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

1 and 4 are the rear cylinders and run a bit hotter thus causing a rich condition. Lean these out a bit with your mixture screws.

Thanks, I didn't realize that. I've set them all 1/2 turn leaner for now. I have a feeling it's the Dynojet Stage 1 kit, because I believe that's the only kit that gives you bigger pilot air jets, which requires messing with the mixture screws. Around 3500-4000rpm it seems to pick up more power, so I'm going to pull the slide diaphragms out and see if it's the dynojet needles. I want to get Morley's jet kit, but I think I read it was originally intended for stock needles.

1 and 4 are the rear cylinders and run a bit hotter thus causing a rich condition. Lean these out a bit with your mixture screws.

^+1 meaning turn in. I do 1/8 turn at a time-run it then see if it needs more.

Thanks, I didn't realize that. I've set them all 1/2 turn leaner for now. I have a feeling it's the Dynojet Stage 1 kit, because I believe that's the only kit that gives you bigger pilot air jets, which requires messing with the mixture screws. Around 3500-4000rpm it seems to pick up more power, so I'm going to pull the slide diaphragms out and see if it's the dynojet needles. I want to get Morley's jet kit, but I think I read it was originally intended for stock needles.
Morley's kit also has paj's. I used stg 7 needles with his kit. You can use whatever you want including Factory Pro.

Mark

Seans kit actually comes with stage 7 needles, NOW, there are some people that have experimented with stock needles, but you have to run a bigger main fuel jet.

Latest posts

Back