DIY Oil pressure gauge

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMechEng

Reaction score
Updated 3/12/18:
If anyone wants to DIY the oil pressure gauge:
1. The oil galley plug - I believe this is M20x1.5 thread. So M20x1.5 w 1/8 NPT in middle to accept fitting. These are available for around $10.
Exhaust Temp Temperature Sensor Adapter M20x1.5 20mmx1.5 -1/8NPT on fleebay
2. Marshall makes a nice 1.5" gauge for this. 0-100 psi. $20 on fleebay.
3. To mount on handle bars you can use clamping 2 piece shaft collars welded together. One bushing 7/8in, one 14mm. These are about $8 each. Look on Mcmaster.com
4.1/8" NPT 304 Stainless Steel Pipe Thread Weld Bung Full Coupling Coyote Gear SS
The gauge threads into this and so does the oil line. The 14mm shaft collar also grabs onto this. You can powder coat it or run shrink wrap over it to black it out.
5. Goodridge Sniper 2 are nice fittings and line so you can custom make your own oil line. I used:
(2) Goodridge Sniper 2 Npt 90 Degree Male Adapter Black 1/8 SN822-02-18BDY 03-6703
One threads into the oil galley plug, the other threads into a 1/8 coupling.
Goodridge Sniper II Brake Line Hose 25' Black 36708 MTB~600~02BK~25
Sniper 2 Hose Collars Black 2/pk

Last edited:
1. The oil galley plug - I believe this is M20x1.5 thread. So M20x1.5 w 1/8 NPT in middle to accept fitting. These are available for around $20.
http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=34953
https://www.rallysportdirect.com/pa...-killer-b-motorsport-m20x1-5-to-1-8pt-adapter
3. To mount on handle bars you can use 2 split bushings, welded together. One bushing 7/8, one 1.5". These are about $5 each. Look on Mcmaster.com
4. Any bike shop will make the oil line for this.

Anyways non of this is a big deal but I wanted to post because I read several posts about members drilling and tapping the oem galley plug and having leaking issues because the plug is thin aluminum.

Hope this helps.
:clapping:

1. The oil galley plug - I believe this is M20x1.5 thread. So M20x1.5 w 1/8 NPT in middle to accept fitting. These are available for around $20.
http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=34953
https://www.rallysportdirect.com/pa...-killer-b-motorsport-m20x1-5-to-1-8pt-adapter
3. To mount on handle bars you can use 2 split bushings, welded together. One bushing 7/8, one 1.5". These are about $5 each. Look on Mcmaster.com
4. Any bike shop will make the oil line for this.

Anyways non of this is a big deal but I wanted to post because I read several posts about members drilling and tapping the oem galley plug and having leaking issues because the plug is thin aluminum.

Hope this helps.

Could you post the Marshall as most i have seen top out at 60. Thank you.

Good find on that pre-made oil plug.

I bought a Kawasaki drain plug and had my neighbor drill and tap it on his lathe. Nice thing about the Kawi plug is that is has a groove that accepts an O-ring. Bad thing is that you have to drill and tap it.

Kawasaki P/N 92001-1183. Best price I found on it was from NW Vintage Cycle Parts. That was 5 years ago or so. I believe that site is shut down now due to the owner retiring.

Nice find. The one I ordered set me back almost $30 with shipping. $10 is much better.

Most O2 sensors I have seen are M18x1.5 I guess there are more sizes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It may be for a different exhaust component. I assumed O2 sensor because of the size and it is very common for import turbo tuners to delete one or more O2 sensors and make use of the hole by installing a pyro.

Greetings from Poland. This is my idea for oil pressure sensor.

b31125df5751e93d.jpg

Made on lathe and milling machine (only nut). It is very simple and easy to made part. Rest were bought.

aa1391ee3c9ddfc9.jpg

b605f8f66dddba26.jpg

d01777d8edfdcf51.jpg

adc3f7e3de75f8d2.jpg

Hose was made in company that makes hoses for hydraulic machines (like excavators). Oil pressure gauge bought on Aliexpress. Gauges housing made by my self.

Reactions: JVD
I was questioning this mod but I’m kinda digging it. Does anyone know off hand what the bikes oil psi would read in this install location?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer the look of the mechanical Marshall gauge but your mod is awesome too. Love the option to go electric and how you hid the pressure transducer. Also, I've noticed when ever I see post from Poland it seems like its always about people fabricating stuff. Seems the Polish are very handy. One of my friends actually has a machine shop and is Polish. Anyways nice job.

Looks good redneksoldier. I ordered the last of the parts I need to finish mine. I'm going to edit my original post to show the total parts list. I'll post pics after it all comes in.

Latest posts

Back