HOW TO: Errors in official manuals preventing proper HOW TOs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrestle

Reaction score
This is where to put errors found in official manuals and your interpretation of what they should have/could have said. For example, the position of camshaft lobes to check valve clearances cannot be done the way VMAX Service Manual LIT-11616-14-12 says to do it. My post points out the error and what I think they meant to say.

VMX12N(C) 2001 MODEL SERVICE MANUAL (LIT-11616-14-12) explains "Adjusting Valve Clearance" on pages 3-7 to 3-11 but page 3-8 in section 8.b. has an error that prevents you from using the procedure it describes. Section 8.b. says to position the crankshaft at top dead center (TDC) on the compression stroke of the engine to measure valve clearance at the proper location. I believe this to be true. However, there is a NOTE in that section that says "TDC on the compression stroke can be found when the camshaft lobes are turned away from each other." - NOT TRUE https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8cVSJsyIwlfUkwyR3E4dVRoRTg/view?usp=sharing. The lobes are turned away from each other at the beginning of the Intake stroke - not the compression stroke. The intake stoke is where the exhaust valve has just closed and the intake valve is about to open. Trying to measure clearance there, prevents your thickness (feeler) gauge wholly fitting under the cam. The compression stroke begins 360 degrees of crankshaft angle later when it is at TDC again. At this later position, camshaft lobes are pointing toward each other, your thickness gauge can be pushed all the way through the gap, and both intake and exhaust valve clearances of a cylinder can be measured without having to spin the crankshaft. I believe this is how valve clearance is meant to be measured. This happens to make VMAX measurements similar to Suzuki and Kawasaki as I have done with past bikes.

Thats probably what started the stickies and the how to's on this forum. Either easier ways to do stuff.......or to correct mistakes.

Latest posts

Back