What has been your personal best upgrade / project / mod and why?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Max2012

Reaction score
I'm sure that different people have different things they've done to the Max, (and are still doing, for that matter :biglaugh:), but what has been your personal best upgrade /project / mod and why?

For instance, In my case. My 91 was neglected, barely covered, left out in the elements, Almost NEW flame tread tires at time of purchase, but had age cracks in the rubber, so I had to change them out right away. Failed coil pickup after riding her for less than a year. Busted center stand. Forks leaking, Terrible lag, around 4-5K. Terrible rust in the fuel system.

So, after doing everything myself to remedy these issues, SO-FAR, I've found that my best "Project" was to attack the fuel delivery system.

I removed the tank to clean out, and coat it. Since the coating instructions recommended 4 day cure time, I gave it a full week. During this time I removed all fuel lines to clean internally. Broke down each carb for ultrasonic baths. Broke-down - cleaned-up the fuel pump. After all this, and getting any micro foreign matter out of my carbs by using Seafoam, it's been the best project I've worked on,, so far. Bike pulls STRONG and I'm a big guy.. As I work on bringing down my own weight, I'm sure the bike will feel even better. :eusa_dance:

P.O banged up the exhaust pretty bad. I got much better looking set, from one of the members here, for just the cost of shipping no less. So, slowly I'm working on the aesthetics now that the mechanical is working well.

Top 3..
1. Series Regulator upgrade. By a long shot the best thing I ever did to Zilla.
1b. Headlight relays. With the upgraded R/R, the light output is amazing!
2. Delkevic slip ons. Worth the money just for the sound. They look good too.
3. COPS. A good upgrade for old coils.

Funny thing is, in the first 25 years, all I ever did to the bike was replace the seat with a Corbin. Since being on the forum, I've read a lot, learned a lot, and all the mods I've done to the bike have made it a better and more reliable ride. Look at a picture of the bike around 2003, and now. You'd not believe it's the same machine.

Radial tires.

I bought a replacement rear wheel from CaptainKyle, and that encouraged me to ask a friend to make me others in either 17" or 18" once I saw what a difference it made.

You can use the front stock wheel for radial fitment, not optimal, but it works.

Those who complain about the VMax handling can see their concerns solved, I would maintain, for the cost of the mod, probably about $800-1,000, maybe a bit less if you found a deal on a used rear wheel.

Where I found the biggest noticeable difference was at higher speeds, on curves. It made the bike much-more precise, for the duration of the tire's service, like riding on a premium set of just scrubbed in brand-new bias ply tires, but for the 3-4,000 miles you get out of a rear, for example.

Im with Fire-Medic, radials. But i went with Carrs for the rims. Worth every penny... just dont tell my old lady what they cost, lol.

Front end modified with springs, emulators and lowered 1" ( Much better handling and keeps the front end on the ground)

High end Progressive 440 rear shocks (Stabilizes the rear end, especially in a drift condition)

Aftermarket Marks or Kerker exhaust... (better HP and Torque)

I guess what it all comes down to what you are looking for?

If you want the bike to be a canyon carver, springs, frame braces, aluminum MM, and radials.

If you want HP, Seans muscle jet kit, and kerker 4-1.

General upgrades, 90/130 headlight, turning the reflector behind the seat into a 3rd brake light, and LED bulbs in the rear turn signals.

I think the best thing I did for it was just taking the time to get it tuned correctly. Not really a mod unless you count the Muscle jet kit. Either way that and the progressive fork springs. I'm keeping mine largely stock.

Latest posts

Back