best tire and size for stock rims

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ordered the Bridgestone Battlax BT-45V Sport Touring Front Tire (110/90V-18).
It was just under $86 including Shipping (using a 5% off Coupon) @ MC Superstore.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...-Battlax-BT-45V-Sport-Touring-Front-Tire.aspx

I read this review where it was rated higher than my current Metzeler Lasertec Tire which costs $129:
http://translate.google.com/transla...zubehoer/reifen/test-youngtimer-reifen/101744

So I figured for $43 less and a good review, I'd give it a shot.
I'll post back eventually and let everyone know how It feels on the Max.

Last edited:
Didn't know the Battlax line came in bias ply. Be interesting to see how it does.

I keep hearing it's a no-no to mix treads front to rear, it can adversely affect this and that and the other thing....but it seems like plenty of people do this and aren't skidding into fiery explosions.

I kind of want to try the new Michelin Commander II rear tire, since my ME880 rear probably won't last the season. They're claiming double the tread life of the 880's....now I just wonder if they're as sticky or handle as well. Reviews are raving about them...but they're all on mid-powered cruisers...harleys, 1300s, ect. The Vmax demands a little more from a tire than a typical harley.

Battlax BT-45V BIAS Info:
http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/bt45.html

I currently Run a Metzeler Lasertec 110/90V-18 Front and Shinko TourMaster rear and they have Very different tread patterns but I've never had a problem.
The BT-45's tread pattern is much closer to the Shinko 230 TM.
I think my next rear tire might be the Michelin Commander II as well,
just to see how it feels/handles and lasts compared to the Shinko 230 TM.
At twice the price I would expect twice the Mileage out of it though ($152 vs $78).
I really do like the fact that the Shinko Sticks like Glue in the twisties and would like to see how the Michelin compares.

PS
Checked my Date/Mileage for my Shinko TM 230 Rear Tire, so far it's been 9 (Fall/Winter) Months/3,000 Miles and I have about 1/4 the Tread left.
So it seems to be holding up as well as just about every other V Rated Tire I have ever used on the Rear (Bridgestone, Michelin, and Dunlop)

Attachments

• Shinko_230_TM_Rear.jpg
    Shinko_230_TM_Rear.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 63
  • Bridgestone_Battlax_BT-45V_Sport_Touring_Front_Tire.jpg
    Bridgestone_Battlax_BT-45V_Sport_Touring_Front_Tire.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Metzeler-Lasertec-Bias-Sport-Touring-Front-Tire.jpg
    Metzeler-Lasertec-Bias-Sport-Touring-Front-Tire.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Just got a flat yesterday on the Metzler rear I am running. Ordered a Shinko 170 today.

Just out of curiosity, is anyone using the matching Shinko 230 front wheel? I noticed several people saying that they were using the Metzeler Lasertec in front and the Shinko 230 in the back. I'm just wondering why - can anyone tell me?

There are some people running the Shinko TM front and Rear but many people have said the Shinko TM Front is not a very good tire.
I just put a Bridgestone Battlax BT-45V Front on mine (And I like it so far) with a Shinko TM 230 Rear.
I did run the Metzeler Lassertec Front previously though and was happy with it.
I personally like to be sure I have a Quality Tire up front just to be safe.

There are some people running the Shinko TM front and Rear but many people have said the Shinko TM Front is not a very good tire.
I just put a Bridgestone Battlax BT-45V Front on mine (And I like it so far) with a Shinko TM 230 Rear.
I did run the Metzeler Lassertec Front previously though and was happy with it.
I personally like to be sure I have a Quality Tire up front just to be safe.

OK, that makes sense - thanks!

I tried the Shinko TM front tire and didn't like it. It was cupped by 3500-4000 miles. I changed it out to a Metzler me880 and it has been great.
I'm switching up to radials this next week and trying Shinko Verge 011's firts time around. Unless they are all that and then some for the second set I'm going to try the Metz ME880 Radials. Sizes will be 120/ 70zr-18 front and 200/ 50r-18 rear.

I tried the Shinko TM front tire and didn't like it. It was cupped by 3500-4000 miles. I changed it out to a Metzler me880 and it has been great.
I'm switching up to radials this next week and trying Shinko Verge 011's firts time around. Unless they are all that and then some for the second set I'm going to try the Metz ME880 Radials. Sizes will be 120/ 70zr-18 front and 200/ 50r-18 rear.

Notched swing arm?

Hmm.. I have Metzler 880s on mine. The rear is fairly new, but the front is pretty old. Was on the bike when I got it. Showning some slight cracking, but some decent tread, so I'm going to replace it. Was thinking about a lasertech, but may go back with an 880. The thing steers like a truck right now. Just looking for a tire that will improve the slow speed handling. A new 880 might make a big difference over this old one. Comments?

GP

What do you mean by 'steers like a truck'? Heavy? Max is never gonna be a lite bike that's for sure.

I used Shinko TM front and rear on my '86 and was happy. When the rear got worn I put a Dunlop (which I happened to have handy) on and crashed in the first (slow speed) corner I took. Never again.

On my new 2000, I went for Shinko front and back again - those are properly grippy tires.

What do you mean by 'steers like a truck'? Heavy? Max is never gonna be a lite bike that's for sure.

I used Shinko TM front and rear on my '86 and was happy. When the rear got worn I put a Dunlop (which I happened to have handy) on and crashed in the first (slow speed) corner I took. Never again.

On my new 2000, I went for Shinko front and back again - those are properly grippy tires.

Yes, heavy. The slower I go the heavier it gets. I know the Max will never steer or handle like a sportbike. Just wondering out loud if a different front tire in combination with the ME880 rear will improve on it.

GP

Hmm.. I have Metzler 880s on mine. The rear is fairly new, but the front is pretty old. Was on the bike when I got it. Showning some slight cracking, but some decent tread, so I'm going to replace it. Was thinking about a lasertech, but may go back with an 880. The thing steers like a truck right now. Just looking for a tire that will improve the slow speed handling. A new 880 might make a big difference over this old one. Comments?

GP

Try going to a 100/90/18 front....little shorter tire.....quickens/lightens up the steering a lot, just fine/stable at highway speeds (80-90 for me)
and no probs in triple digits.
I use the old school looking pirelli Routes, no complaints.
I did the same on my FZ1....went from a 120/70 to a 120/60.
they do get a quicker steering, but also a firmer ride.

Also a lot of the Max owners tend to replace their shocks and go down 1 inch and not do anything to the front...that will also make your steering heavier...changing the rake.

The Suspension is stock, so no problem there. Sounds interesting trying the next size smaller than stock on the front. May have to try that.

GP
Before you go changing tires and spend money, lower your forks about an inch in the triple trees, that should make it turn in a little quicker. It's free and not that hard to do.

Before you go changing tires and spend money, lower your forks about an inch in the triple trees, that should make it turn in a little quicker. It's free and not that hard to do.

Yes that will work also, but the ride with the shorter/thinner tire is still different and more nimble.

I have run the Shinko 230s this year and have put more than 15,000 kms and they still have a few thousand left. I have run from Canada to Sturgis and then down to Mexico City and on 4,000 kms road trips to Cancun. They worked perfectly on the great roads of Canada and United States but the line in the center likes to follow the ruts on the bad roads down here, especially on the ripped up roads after they remove old pavement and leave the rutted base for new roads. Literally like surfing on that shit. I would highly recommend them to anyone using good roads. I just bought a Shinko SR734 for the rear and am looking for a good match for the front since that model only comes in a Shinko SR733 :punk::band:130/70-18 size and I think it will be too big for the fender. Anyone run this set up let me know what you thought or a good replacement. If the tire is too tall, I think the fender could be shimed higher. I have been using the 170/80-15 on the rear with the Shinko 230 and the SR734.

^ You could try a Metzeler ME880 front 110/90-18 (or ask other Vmax owners if the 120/90-18 fits).
It doesn't have a center groove so it should work better on bad roads and is H rated so it will last longer also.
And A Vmax Bias Tire Spreadsheet is here:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=26416
It can give you more options too.

I'm getting ready to order again, this time on my new 3 1/2 by 17" front. The 130/70
looks inviting. But so does the lower profile 120/70/ The 120 is a lot lower. 180/55/17 works great out back and leaves 4mm clearance on the left still. A 130/80R/17 is almost stock height. But selection is limited. I like the Z6 Metzlers. I've hit road grooves at 100mph and not even come close to loosing it.

Latest posts

Back