Normal operating temp range

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93max

Reaction score
Hey guy's, I finally got me a MAX!
I was told by my lovely wife that there will be no street bikes till the 3 boy's were older.
Well 2yrs ago SHE bout a Scout !
So that that!
After looking at several Max's I bought a 93 with 10600 miles on it from the second owner.
She was sitting for 2 years and when she started it smoked really bad but negotiated a price and bought it.
Well the smoking stopped and I'm enjoying it!
I do however have a question tho.
What is the normal position for the temp gauge while moving?
I do understand it will creep in traffic BUT will go back down when moving again.
Yesterday it was in the mid 80's and I went for a ride with my son and in traffic it would go a little over 1/2 but didn't kick the fan on and while moving would come down to the screw in the gauge.
A little below 1/2.
Does this sound normal?
The fan does work as I found out while It was smoking in the sellers driveway.
Any thoughts would be appreciated .

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_2357.jpg
    IMG_2357.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 25
The OEM fan sensor trips fairly late. Over 200 deg. Your temp on the gauge sounds fine, like Bill said. There are lower deg opening T-stats and fan sensor upgrades. I prefer my fan on earlier. I wouldn't change the T-stat unless you have to. There are lots of threads here on the subject. And, Welcome to the forum.
Steve-o

The OEM fan sensor trips fairly late. Over 200 deg. Your temp on the gauge sounds fine, like Bill said. There are lower deg opening T-stats and fan sensor upgrades. I prefer my fan on earlier. I wouldn't change the T-stat unless you have to. There are lots of threads here on the subject. And, Welcome to the forum.
Steve-o

Thanks!

Thumbs up on your new addition!
My 06 temp gauge just slightly below the halfway point on the screw, if this helps you. I ride around Central Ontario Canada where temps reach about 75-86 F or 24-30 C in the summer usually.
Had the PO put a by-pass switch so you can start your muffin fan earlier?

Thumbs up on your new addition!
My 06 temp gauge just slightly below the halfway point on the screw, if this helps you. I ride around Central Ontario Canada where temps reach about 75-86 F or 24-30 C in the summer usually.
Had the PO put a by-pass switch so you can start your muffin fan earlier?

Thanks, and no he didn't. Do you have or know the thread for it?
I'd like to install it if I see I'll be sitting in traffic a while.

Hey guy's, I finally got me a MAX!
I was told by my lovely wife that there will be no street bikes till the 3 boy's were older.
Well 2yrs ago SHE bout a Scout !
So that that!
After looking at several Max's I bought a 93 with 10600 miles on it from the second owner.
She was sitting for 2 years and when she started it smoked really bad but negotiated a price and bought it.
Well the smoking stopped and I'm enjoying it!
I do however have a question tho.
What is the normal position for the temp gauge while moving?
I do understand it will creep in traffic BUT will go back down when moving again.
Yesterday it was in the mid 80's and I went for a ride with my son and in traffic it would go a little over 1/2 but didn't kick the fan on and while moving would come down to the screw in the gauge.
A little below 1/2.
Does this sound normal?
The fan does work as I found out while It was smoking in the sellers driveway.
Any thoughts would be appreciated .

Chris
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=19437

Basically it is the rubber heat shield with the tabs.:clapping:

Thank you!
Wait a minute, if I'm working on it that means I'm NOT riding it!
It's going to have to wait till Sunday morning.
After that. Me and my wife and 2 of my sons will go for a ride!

One of the things you may want to consider is upgrading your charging system; before I did mine, my bike would get hot and if the engine died it would be hard to restart sometimes....

One of the things you may want to consider is upgrading your charging system; before I did mine, my bike would get hot and if the engine died it would be hard to restart sometimes....

He "said" he had something replaced. I think he kept calling it a board but he might have meant rectifier.

Normal temp when moving hangs out around 180-185, which corresponds to about half way up the stock gauge.

The fan kicks on around 220*, which corresponds to just shy of the red zone.

With a manual fan switch on, mine would never go much above 200 even sitting in traffic in hot weather.

Latest posts

Back