Installing stock exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ga2wheels

Reaction score
Have the engine back in, went easier than I thought. Only tough area was getting the driveshaft to line up with the linkage when installing the swing arm.
But a little stuck on the exhaust. Have the mufflers loosely hanging and the right rear pipe on and can’t seem to get the rear left to snake up from the bottom and meet up with the flange( not even close). Is it easier if you install the left one first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd try installing the mufflers last. Get all the pipes in and loosely hanging, and then work the mufflers on one pipe at a time.

Got it, just forced it a bit more to get past and over the swingarm boot.
And I have already drilled out and tapped a 6mm bolt for the pipe cover and the heat shield....both of which broke on tear down.

45851c9b044a3bc9f9bb0bcd090b017e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The vanity cover for the rear exhaust spigots off the cyl head often have the screws snap upon disassembly. They are thin, and probably there is some galvanic corrosion and heat-soak that over time, cause a seizing/galling of the screws.

The vanity cover for the rear exhaust spigots off the cyl head often have the screws snap upon disassembly. They are thin, and probably there is some galvanic corrosion and heat-soak that over time, cause a seizing/galling of the screws.

OMG.. I hope not.. My original bolts broke off also - I ended up having to get replacement adapters,, they were that messed up... I put the replaced adapters in, with some black bolts from Lowes, but this time, I put Anti-Seize on them..

The heat burned off any coating the bolts had on them within a week.. Of course now, I have some surface rust on the heads..

I DO hope they come out without a problem. I have a set of stainless steel ones, I'd like to put in there.

I think Sean would agree, even with anti-seize, you don't want to use stainless steel. I think grade 8 cadmium-plated bolts is what you should use.

Maybe chromed heat-treated bolts, I dunno.

Latest posts

Back