VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spellsinger

Reaction score
Hi guys:

I just restored an 89 vmax, and took it to Ca DMV to get registered. I had to have the numbers verified, they were good. But there is supposed to be a sticker on it that shows something about whether it is a 49 or 50 state bike, and neither I nor the verifier could find one. Without this sticker, or being able to find it, chances of getting it registered here is very low.

So do any of you genius guys know where this sticker might be located? Or, alternatively, any place to get a sticker if I dont have one?

Or someone with a sticker that I could copy and get a new one made?

I put a lot of money and time in this bike, and it is so dissappointing not to be able to ride it without risking getting it impounded.

Thanks a lot, Tom

It's on the under side of the airbox cover.

With great excitement I took it apart. Nothing anywhere in airbox.

I called Yamaha, and they said it was on left hand side of tank or on frame, no nothing there either.

I asked them for new decal, they said they could send me a letter that gave the same information, and so perhaps that will work.

Meanwhile, if anyone has found such a sticker, I would very much appreciate a copy. The verifier is good guy, but it gives some code for engine family and so forth, and he needs this information. Even a copy is good enough, I can stick it anywhere, and he is good with that.

Thanks again.
tom

I thought it was on the neck on the frame . Starts with CA for the cali bikes but another reason to flee that state too ..

That one is fine, gives vin and so forth. 4th Letter is E which means it is a 49 state model. That is not the one they want, it is some sort of smog sticker somewhere else. I had the motor out, and painted the frame, so no stickers anywhere, or I would have see it.

My guess it was just glued on, and fell off. So, still searching for anything close to 89 with any sort of sticker on it.

tom

Sorry if I wasn't clear on description. The fake gas tank cover, not air box.
0517181723b.jpg
[/url]

[/IMG]

Ah, yes, that is the beast. Mine does not have one. Perhaps now I can find an 86 tin with that sticker intact.

Greatly appreciated.

tom

Back