beware LED instrument bulbs.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intruder

Reaction score
Hi, my last post had me pondering on the verge of pulling out my gas tank to fix the permenantly on reserve fuel light and switch, HOWEVER!, I read a thread on here saying that the fuel res light is part of the circuit, so I thought about it and wondered if the voltage difference using led lights vs stock bulbs would cause problems.
I bought a full pack of 10 bulbs as I had the neutral light had blown as had the high beam also my indicator bulb was only flashing when I used the left side indy (how odd) . I changed all of the bulbs over to originals and what do you know!, the indicator on bulb flashes both sides, the others all work and the problem with the fuel reserve switch has fixed, the light is out untill reserve is reached and now the on/res switch works.
I dont have to rip out the tank and replace the level pick up switch and wonder how many people have changed to led lights and have problems.
I bought the bike from an import dealer fresh from Japan, its a full power model and had leds everywhere, the front head light is Zenon but all other bulbs are now original fitment and that is the way it will stay.
Hope this helps in anyway to others who may have strange electrical gremlins.
Cheers.

Seems to be related to the hyper flash with LED turn signals. Unless you get a flasher relay designed for the LEDs, you need to install a load resistor to mimic the draw of a filament bulb.

Good bit of advice. I've got LED in every bulb of both bikes, except the dash lights. Needed resistors on Max signals, and put a new flasher in the Roadstar. Problem with these relays is you lose self cancelling.

I didnt realise the bike had bulbs changed without fitting the voltage thingy, I could have put one on but now that its back to standard I will leave it as they work as they should, the brightness is not as good as the LEDs but they are fine at night. Next step is to get some forward controls as these bikes arent that long and Im 6, 2" lots of nice ones out there but the prices are nuts for a few bits of steel. Could import cheaper ones from US but the shipping screws that up.

Hi, my last post had me pondering on the verge of pulling out my gas tank to fix the permenantly on reserve fuel light and switch, HOWEVER!, I read a thread on here saying that the fuel res light is part of the circuit, so I thought about it and wondered if the voltage difference using led lights vs stock bulbs would cause problems.
I bought a full pack of 10 bulbs as I had the neutral light had blown as had the high beam also my indicator bulb was only flashing when I used the left side indy (how odd) . I changed all of the bulbs over to originals and what do you know!, the indicator on bulb flashes both sides, the others all work and the problem with the fuel reserve switch has fixed, the light is out untill reserve is reached and now the on/res switch works.
I dont have to rip out the tank and replace the level pick up switch and wonder how many people have changed to led lights and have problems.
I bought the bike from an import dealer fresh from Japan, its a full power model and had leds everywhere, the front head light is Zenon but all other bulbs are now original fitment and that is the way it will stay.
Hope this helps in anyway to others who may have strange electrical gremlins.
Cheers.
Can you confirm that the reserve light on turns off the fuel pump and the reserve switch on turns the pump back on problem no reserve light on when low fuel and pump runs until the tank is empty with the switch in on position. LED bulbs require a compatible driver [email protected] Thanks for the info[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited:
The fuel system relies on a known resistance to work properly which also includes a functioning bulb. If the resistance is too low (LED bulb or Blown standard bulb) then the reserve light will not function. This in turn will not allow normal operation of the fuel system and the pump will not work normally. Moving the switch to the "RES" position simply overrides it all and forces the pump on regardless of the amount of fuel or light functions.

Latest posts

Back