My 1988 Vmax build follow along....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
Ok, well this is my 7th Vmax. I honestly don't know what I am going to do with this one. One thought is to give it to my son after I do a mild build on it. Another is to build this one different than I have my other 6.

I am thinking bright and colorful on this build and the factory paint is good for that.

I am thinking clear covers, and as I sit here typing this I have a waterpump cover in my hand and about 2 hours of free time tonight.... LOL

I am not sure about the clutch cover.... I have a Michigan Vmax Hooligan, the last insert I machined and last one I will machine , left and I was thinking of installing that on the bike possibly.

I am not 100% sure if I am doing to do the double d clutch mod or not. I am debating on whether this bike will ever see any track use. I might make a few runs just for old time sake. But there really isn't much sense. It'll run high 10's low 11's like all the rest did. So I am thinking strictly a street machine most likely.

I believe I will either try my hand at chroming another set of Vmax scoops, or I might powder coat them. I said I would never plate Vmax Scoops again LOL, as its a pain with my plating setup currently.

The front wheel.... I have something in mind for that also :biglaugh:

I am debating, I ve never done USD front ends on any of my Vmax's and maybe its time.... If I do that, there is really no sense in machining the stock front wheel. But maybe I ll machine the wheel so I have something different until I have the decision down for USD or not.

I think I might machine a set of case guards. Most likely if I do, I will just use the current design ones and copy them for the sake of ease ability.

Handle bars, I am not sure if I am going to go with drag bars again, and of course if I do USD I ll go with clip ons.

Exhaust, I believe I might go with Voodoo exhaust 4-2 or UFO 4-2 megaphone style this time. Though I might go back to marks if I can get a better deal this time on the exhaust. The last one set I had the quality just wasn't there really. But I really liked the sound.

Carbs.... I ll just run them as is for now. Stage 7 setups never really impressed me that much more, but we'll see.

Maybe I ll do radials on the bike this time... Not sure.

I am kind of undecided what I want to do and where I am heading with this one. So right now as it sits.... next to my 14.

11130256_946022958764743_3521795230341887675_n.jpg

I dont think I ll do much distance riding on this bike, since Vmax's aren't the most touring setup bike. My 14 will probably maintain its primary role and the Vmax will be for screwing around town with my girl and stuff like that.

I was looking at the CL ads before you bought this one, and I saw it. I know it's the same one because it has that sticker on the exhaust. That thing is almost too-clean to mess-with! From the pics anyways. Have you ever run a VMax w/radials? I cannot recall if any of the prior VMax-Todd's fleet had them, but it does make a big difference.

No never ran radials on them.

Here is my first quick and simple change....

Bungee shock caps I make....

Step 1

Remove original factory shock caps.

549282_946627095370996_6327496137341657430_n.jpg

Install two nice chrome silver powder coated caps!

21325_946627075370998_8438664503917568555_n.jpg

10941368_946627122037660_8902775721499382206_n.jpg

11096419_946627145370991_8834146803897276382_n.jpg

Now on to step 2..... hmm.....

Off with their heads..... er cylinder head cover...

Stock UGLY... who was the guy that allowed this bullshit to be colored and installed on the bike?

11150546_946641682036204_7274908283702890261_n.jpg

I had this extra set laying around, I ll machine something new and replace these. But I just had to take those God awful ugly looking factory ones off....

11115671_946641702036202_295948063812711649_n.jpg

11133687_946641712036201_5784018358880537463_n.jpg

As you can see the block needs alittle love touch up paint also.

I am not sure what I am doing next here. I am thinking a Vmax Triple tree clamp top mint replace the original one that has a little oxidation...

One more tie-down ring on those shock caps and they will resemble brass knuckles!

Go wild Todd. You can use that one to innovate a bit and get some new stuff. I mean using your free time to do so and have fun with some different from the ordinary

Well.... I took it to the track.

And now I need clutches. The originals are slipping. In third and fourth gear it would slip and I am sure coming out of the hole it was slipping as well. It didnt bog, but took off nicely lol, thats how I knew they were bad! On the way home I dropped down to 35 mph in 5th gear and hit it, yep... slowly reved up and vroommmm..... up go the revs and the speedo doesn't move haha!!

But for an untouched bike with absolutely nothing done to it at all.

[email protected]

That was my second pass. First pass ran a 11.76, and after that 11.69 I progressively got slower and slower. Till it was running 12.0's at stupidly low mphs like 109.

I am willing to bet this bike bone stock can run 11.4x's.

My r/t's were terrible. I cut a .012 light, my best of the day. Most were red lights. I thought it would launch faster and but its no ZX14. So I tried to baby my last yellow a bit.

I also said I wouldn't do a double d clutch on this, but I might just pop one in, remove that half friction and replace it, scuff up my steels, and see how my frictions look, I have a good used set here, so if I do the double d, then I ll just toss those in.

11072124_948510101849362_2687326847892389046_n.jpg

Also this weekend I put around 340 miles on it. Ran good. It sputters at lower rpm from a load in higher gears.

Brakes require ALOT of lever. I guess they aren't bad, but you have to squeeze the living shit out of it to make it stop. I am just used to having super awesome ZX14 brakes I guess. So I ll be doing something about that probably.

Riding on the highway, very uncomfortable. I forgot the pains of the stock seat. I have to constantly shift my weight around on it. My girl got on it and we went for a quick 30 min ride and she said its different, not as comfortable as the 14. Very rough riding and herky jerky. She liked it because its quiet LOL! I thought its going to be loud soon. But now I am starting to rethink that. She said its such a small bike. I thought it really does feel small.

Bottom line, I think this will most likely be an around town bike. Something you don't get on the highway and don't ride far. My back is already hurting lol.

Well I dug up a chrome drag bar. Waiting on a double d spring, and bar end mirrors as my next installment.

Hopefully I can finger out the front brake lever wire problem soon.

Have a small oil leak also, need to fix that as well.

Looks like your up to a lot. I would suggest get a better seat, and if she plans on riding with you get a sissy bar. I put highway pegs on my engine guards last year made it better for road trips. More options of moving around to get comfortable.. plus the breeze up the pants helps...I paid and got a muscle seat last year, with the improved rear for my wife( who will not ride on it...) lol oh well...I also put UFO 4-1 on make is a little louder, well I don't notice it killing my ears with the megaphone vs. the drag slash cut.. Even with earplugs it hurt on longer rides... Getting a better seat is a must. I regret not doing it years ago...

I can't remember what seat I had on my 02. I ll see if I can find some pictures.

I am thinking I cut my seat down and add some memory type foam like Dman did and maybe that will help. I dont remember the seat being so bad, but then again, my zx14 seat is so awesome compared to this. But it is what it is I guess.

The exhaust, I have a feeling I am going to put the Voodoo slash cuts on it and then maybe make a set of cans myself if I find time.

Crash guards with pegs I planned on making a new style on my last Vmax, never got around to it. But I do need that extra option if I am going to have my girl ride on the bike, because 90% of the time I m on the back pegs leaning forward.

Plus I have to reroute the hydraulic lines.

My son really wants this one. So I am not sure how much farther I will take it. But I am thinking exhaust system and busa brakes up front and then let him do whatever he wants.

I had those same mirrors on a broomstick bar, lol. Love the view, hated that they started moving at 120 mph, lol.

Latest posts

Back