Vmax Battery replacement 101

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My battery arrived finally today. At 11.11 volts . It's on the charger now. I'm looking 12.8 on new battery and am trying not to get discouraged yet.13 even better. We'll see. I'm telling you I'm in a mechanical Sh*t zone lately. It must be the planets aligned wrong or something or other.
Steve

My battery arrived finally today. At 11.11 volts . It's on the charger now. I'm looking 12.8 on new battery and am trying not to get discouraged yet.13 even better. We'll see. I'm telling you I'm in a mechanical Sh*t zone lately. It must be the planets aligned wrong or something or other.
Steve
I have 12.86 on mine right now Steve-o and it has set for 3 days.

Steve
Re-torque that elbow.:rofl_200:

Mine is always at 12.8 to 12.9 even after sitting for a few weeks.
I do put my trickle charger on it every few weeks but it's always fully charged.

Mine is always at 12.8 to 12.9 even after sitting for a few weeks.
I do put my trickle charger on it every few weeks but it's always fully charged.
No disrepect D. I have just never used a trickle charger. Not cold here.

No disrepect D. I have just never used a trickle charger. Not cold here.
No problem.
I actually keep my Snow blower battery on my trickle charger and just hook up my Vmax every few weeks during the winter to be sure it is fully charged.

After charging and sitting overnight to remove the surface charge, my new battery is at 12.73. I'm not thrilled. Meanwhile, the 7 year old black USB battery is firing up my welder like a champ. It must be me. Cursed by a black voo-doo wrench hidden among my tools. Apex tells me it's an exact replacement. I have to believe they're telling me the truth. I'll put in and see what happens. If it cranks nice that's all that matters.

I put the new battery in, she fired right up. With the choke of course. It's a beautiful thing to hear. It's not riding weather today, unless you have chains on your tires for the snow.
But yea!

I put the new battery in, she fired right up. With the choke of course. It's a beautiful thing to hear. It's not riding weather today, unless you have chains on your tires for the snow.
But yea!
I have some chains I can send to you as I won't be needing them anymore-:rofl_200:

Re: I Reckon I'm lookin fur a Batry

I have had very good luck with the Odyssey PC680 battery. I don't ride my '85 all the time and wanted to ensure the battery was fully charged for those times I do ride. I decided to purchase the Odyssey Optimizer Charger (Xenotronix SX-90-1). When I return home I connect the charger to my quick disconnect and it maintains the battery at full charge. I have not had any problems since I installed the battery over a year ago.

Jeff

vmax_lineart.jpg

So I found 2 Odyssey PC 680 batteries. One black with a red top and one completely red. So which one is the correct nattery for a gen 1 max?

Just a quick battery question? I've been having a 'no spark' issue so I've been working on the bike the last few days, trying to resolve it. I have just fitted a brand new maintenance free sealed 12V 18amp battery. Unfortunately, I left the key in the ignition and my darling little 3 year old daughter turned it on. I didn't discover this for several hours, by which time the battery was completely flat. I've just put it on a charger, but will it recover? or is that $100 down the drain.

Won’t be the first time a battery has discharged shouldn’t be a problem being new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a quick battery question? I've been having a 'no spark' issue so I've been working on the bike the last few days, trying to resolve it. I have just fitted a brand new maintenance free sealed 12V 18amp battery. Unfortunately, I left the key in the ignition and my darling little 3 year old daughter turned it on. I didn't discover this for several hours, by which time the battery was completely flat. I've just put it on a charger, but will it recover? or is that $100 down the drain.

A 10 amp charge for an hour or two should bring it right back.

Just want to say thank you to everyone for the advice on this forum especially Sean Morley for the battery mod advice. I was looking to buy a new battery and stumbled across this forum. I bought a goldwing agm battery and modified the box and it fit perfect. The bike hadn't been running for over a year and after fitting the battery fired up first time so am very happy. Thanks again :)

Attachments

• 20190512_162135.jpg
    20190512_162135.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 20190514_174432.jpg
    20190514_174432.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 46
Hello Everybody,

Has anyone run or known of anyone running a Shorai lithium battery ?
I am using one and am so far really happy with it, amazed actually that
the little size packs the punch that it doe's. I have been riding since February
when it would get to maybe 55 or so by afternoon, but would be maybe 30 degree's when I took off in the morning. The website say's to turn the key
on for a minute or so to "wake" the battery, that was hard to do at first because my way of thinking is that I need to hit the key immediately before
I lose whatever charge its got. Well 30, or even at twenty degree's here in Colorado it would FIRE Right UP! Now on the 20 degree morning we just wanted to see if it would even crank, and when it started I had to go on and let it warm-up but couldn't ride in that cold, but were surprised the little battery seemed unaffected at that temp. They warn in the instructions NOT to ever let it completely drain.
I'm running the shorai, second summer now. Love it except for the price and requiring a specific charger.

I'll be needing a new battery's for my 85's here soon but didn't have a good experience with a odyssey PC 310 for my DRZ400. It went bad in only two years, but I wrote it off because it was stored in a hot shed. But I just read.. "It seems the Odyssey batteries are not lasting as well as they used to. The original Enersys batteries seemed to be much more powerful than after the buyout."

Buy-out? When was that?

So maybe I'll go back to a Deka/EastPenn lead acid. But does Deka make a AMG that fits the Vmax? I only see the YB16AL-A2FP listed on the eastpenn site.

The Apex UB12220 looks like the cheapest AMG

Last edited:
I'm running the oversized battery in my ''85. Simple mod, and absolutely worth the effort.

Latest posts

Back