Scorched cylinder

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronMike

Reaction score
Newbie here! I had a rear head gasket leaking externally and also a bit of oil in the radiator overflow tank.Don't know if the 2 are separate issues but I started by pulling the heads and #3 cylinder has some bad scoring on the top of the bore. Bike ran great I just want to fix it right and need some advice. Thanks

Does the head gasket show signs of failure? Did you do a compression or leakdown test before disassembly?l

Best bet is to post a few pics, include the head if you can. I'd think there is definitely a connection between the oil in the water and blown head gasket. The head should be checked for warping and cracks. If you're not acquainted with Sean Morley, it's time. Most likely this will interest him as well as others. How many miles on the bike? Has it been apart before?

Sorry it took so long to reply but I'm still trying to figure this sight out. I did'nt do a compression test prior to disassembly. Center 2 head bolts seemed loose and there was only slight oil leak in that area. I purchased the bike with 10k on it and not running. Was told it needed carbs cleaned but turned out to be pick up coil wires were cut and corroded were they pass through a metal loom. Head gasket looks good along with deck surface. Scratches appear to be too deep to hone out but are only at the top and bottom of the stroke. Maybe they flogged it with starting fluid trying to start it with no spark- just a guess.I'll try and get some pics up. Does anyone have contact info for Sean Morley? Thanks for all the help.

Contacted Sean through Facebook and he responded immediately. Thanks for all the quick responses. I am new to this sight and will definitely be visiting again.

Latest posts

Back