Motorcycle Wheel Tiedown for Trailer

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbone

Reaction score
I am looking for a motorcycle tire specific wheel tiedown (net style) to make it easier to move around the rear of the bikes when tied down. I have chocks and front tiedown points for the front but want to clean up the rear and eliminate the number of straps needed. This is for my enclosed trailer BTW.
Here is etrailers offerings: http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Cargo_Control-sf-Tie_Down_Strap-pc-Wheel_Net.aspx
None are specifically designed for motorcycles but does anyone have experience with any of these styles for use on a motorcycle wheel?

might be tricky with the front fender but someone prob has a solution.....

Depending your trailer setup you can do what I have done in the past. I put a simple wedge chock under the rear tire (knock it in with a tap from a mallet) then bolt it down to the plywood trailer floor. It works great and just unbolt on arrival.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sorry I am just a firm believer in 4 straps per bike . I have seen way to many expensive bikes damaged because some one done want to take a few extra minutes for a couple tie downs. Just my 2 cents:biglaugh:

Exactly! If you are using the 1" web strap 2 on each side is a must. If you are using the 2" straps then you can get aways with one on each side. it's still a good idea to strap the rear as well and the 1" straps are good enough back there.

Well I guess I should have said mine is in addition to 4 straps. Two per side, wheel standard moto chock in front and wedge chock on rear.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

What points are ya strapping down Kyle?
Depends on what kind of bike I am hauling. I haul more other kinds bikes than I do Vmax's . If your talking about strictly the Max I run soft ties from each side of the grab bar & I either run soft ties from each side of the handle bar or the forks above the bottom triple. I genrally try & tie them where the forks are not always way compressed but more side to side if that makes since.

Exactly! If you are using the 1" web strap 2 on each side is a must. If you are using the 2" straps then you can get aways with one on each side. it's still a good idea to strap the rear as well and the 1" straps are good enough back there.
I am more paranoid than you its 4 all the time & at least 2 of them are usually ratchet straps. I don't always trust the cambuckles

I use a front wheel chock and 4 straps currently. 2" ratchet straps all the way around. So what I'm hearing is that using a wheel strap in place of the two rear straps is not a good idea.
I may a little overzealous when I first strapped my bike down and pulled the forks a bit too much which resulted in a leaking seal. I have been strapping from the grab bar but will add the soft straps since I have them already.

I use a front wheel chock and 4 straps currently. 2" ratchet straps all the way around. So what I'm hearing is that using a wheel strap in place of the two rear straps is not a good idea.
I may a little overzealous when I first strapped my bike down and pulled the forks a bit too much which resulted in a leaking seal. I have been strapping from the grab bar but will add the soft straps since I have them already.
Yep I would keep doing it the way you been doing it. The soft straps are just personal preference since I learned the hard way to that the rubber coating comes off the hooks sometimes & scratches things

I had a pair of soft ties (canyon dancers) made up approx. 30" long and wrapped with the artificial wool stuff (soft). I put that through the rear wheel, then run a regular 1 1/2" ratchet strap through the loose looped ends of those to pull the bike back and keep the tire from wagging side to side.

i didn't have time to read thru but found this looking for something else brian:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-trailer/motorcycle-trailer-tie-down.htm
I saw those too, they would work for sure. But they basically have the same issue I was looking to get rid of, which was more room to walk around the bike in the trailer.
The bikes are secure in there now as Tom (the Beekeeper) can attest to, so I will leave well enough alone, for now.:biglaugh: I saw the wheel nets (e-trailer post prompted my looking/ thinking:bang head:) for cars and quads and thought I might be able to adapt them to my trailer setup.

What I learned form an old time racer who's constantly moving bikes in trailers was to just tie the rear wheel directly (1 strap through the wheel to the floor works) to keep it from moving side to side. That works better than compressing the rear suspension and is all that's needed.

I am looking for a motorcycle tire specific wheel tiedown (net style) to make it easier to move around the rear of the bikes when tied down. I have chocks and front tiedown points for the front but want to clean up the rear and eliminate the number of straps needed. This is for my enclosed trailer BTW.
Here is etrailers offerings: http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Cargo_Control-sf-Tie_Down_Strap-pc-Wheel_Net.aspx
None are specifically designed for motorcycles but does anyone have experience with any of these styles for use on a motorcycle wheel?
try a seat belt pad and go through rear wheel, run strap low and back, hope that makes sense

Try seat belt shoulder pad, put strap through rear wheel, let the shocks do what there designed to do, and remember low and back, hope it helps

I always tie down with more than is required. I've lost count of the sheer amount of bikes lost due a single tie down and quite frankly buckles, straps and come alongs are so cheap why skimp ? It beats me why folks want to transport valuable things on a trailer held down with a piece of rope. :confused2:

Chris.

I use a ratchet strap on each side of the handlebar with a front wheel chock, then I run a thick heavy duty pull type tension strap through the bottom of my swingarm on the underbrace. You could flip the trailer and the bike isn't going anywhere, you mileage may vary but this works for me.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back