starter clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
85-89 does have the dual pickups. I am not sure if one runs the fronts or the sides. Maybe someone can look at the wiring schematic and let us know.

The service manual I have doesn't mention which cylinders the pickup coils pair with but by just looking at the firing order; cylinders 1&3 are 180 degrees apart, 2&3 are 250 degrees apart. So it makes sence to pair 1&3 and 2&4 then space the pickups 70 degrees apart

Also from the service manual: PICKUP COIL RESISTANCE TEST
- Remove Seat
- Disconnect 5-pin connecter (Black,White/Red,Orange,White/Green,Gray)
- Measure pickup coil resistance (O-B) (O-Gy) (O-W/G) (O-W/R)
110ohm +-15% @ 20C (68F)

Note: The instructions above indicate that the Orange wire is common, but according to the wiring diagram (and common sence) the Black wire is common, I would measure resistance as follows
- Measure pickup coil resistance (B-O) (B-Gy) (B-W/G) (B-W/R)

Well, my starter clutch failed too. The best way to remove it and without alot of effort is the way that Morley Muscle man did it. Put on the pully setup, where as you use 3 bolts that will screw into the flywheel, with that crows foot piece.
Wrench the bolt onto the flywheel, snug it up, the flywheel may turn over on you, but very minuscule. Then, take a heavy hammer, tap the big bolt that is inserted in towards the flywheel, as you hit it, be gentle, the flywheel is on a tapered shaft, believe me when I say this, the flywheel will pop off quick! Practically fly off! And! dont lose the woodruf key.

Attachments

• puller.jpg
    puller.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 26
ok,
I fixed my starter clutch issue, now, it wont start. turns over, but no fire. I believe I jacked up the position of the crank when I was turning it to line up the woodruff key, I positioned the key slot top dead center, so I can eye ball it as I lined up the flywheel. As for the timing marks, did not pay attn from before. So, how do I line it up then? I know there is a site hole with a metal like pointer for it to line up on the space lines next to T1, but not sure if thats the rite position. Am at a loss fellows. pls advise.

after rethinking in what I said, as long as the woodruff key is lined up with the flywheel, it should not matter what position the crank is rite? the bike ran fine prior to pulling the flywheel, only a week ago. hmmmm...

Could something have happened to the stator when the cover was off ? Wires pinched or something ? I'd also check the side stand switch since you were in that area. Good luck.

Just did one and noticed the key laying on the ground when we got done. Bike would not start. Ended up the flywheel had rotated out of position. The key does establish the position.

Just did one and noticed the key laying on the ground when we got done. Bike would not start. Ended up the flywheel had rotated out of position. The key does establish the position.

Yikes. Did that do anything to the shaft or flywheel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fixing the Vmax one is pretty straight forward. I do have a picture of a FW puller if anyone wants to make one and can supply dimensions.
Please PM me with the flywheel puller picture and dimensions? Thanks, I'm preparing to replace a starter clutch on a VStar 1100 and it has the exact same design as the Max.

Found the problem! da herk!! pinched wire the black and copper colored leads. also lined up the T1 mark too. All is well. Mang!

I just replaced my starter clutch and now my 2004 Vmax is "Kicking back" when trying to start. Had it running, but it doesn't run near as well as it did before I did the starter clutch replacement.
I'm wondering if one of the wires on the flywheel pickup got damaged or disconnected while the stator cover was off?
Found a resistance spec on one of these forum threads that matched (110ohms)(mine was 104ohms), All the way back to the connector near the battery.
I'm new to the Vmax and this forum. Please pardon multiple posts...
Still gives a nasty loud knock when trying to start the bike. I don't want to run it too much for fear of damaging something??
My battery is only 4 weeks old.

I should probably confess that when the flywheel came off the crankshaft, it fell on the cement floor. Only from the height of the crank with bike sitting on double stand. Pretty sure the puller hit the floor first. No visible damage.
Is there anything fragile on that flywheel that may have been damaged?
I found threads on this forum, after the fact, that mentioned roping the flywheel for removal or cushioning the fall.. :/

Fully charge the battery. Then let it sit without the charger until the next day, What is the battery voltage then? When you start the bike what is the battery voltage at idle after a few minutes? Start there. It'd be unlikely for the flywheel to be damaged if a visual inspection was ok. I had gotten two defective batteries in a row and a friend had the same experience with the green USB batteries. Flywheel bolts were thread peened or lock tighted?

Maybe a silly question, but, for any reason, did you happen to replace, or disassemble the pulser pickup wires leading from the stator area, that connects under the seat?

Latest posts

Back