How to Remove the Rear Wheel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikedave99

Reaction score
This will be part of a mini series on removing the rear wheel, exhaust and swingarm, replacing some bearings, swapping on a Venture diff, and changing the tire. First up is just pulling the rear wheel.

Ok, put it on the centerstand, and brace the front if possible:
Picture093.jpg

Next, pull the cotter pin on the left side of the rear wheel going through the axle shaft:
Picture094.jpg

Loosen up that big nut:
Picture095.jpg

Move over to the right side and loosen up the pinch bolt:
Picture096.jpg

Now, you do not need to remove the shocks in order to remove the wheel, but I will be removing them as I will be pulling the swingarm later. They are easy to remove however, and the extra room is always welcome. Remove the bolt holding the top of the shocks in place:
Picture097.jpg

Remove the bolt holding the bottom of the shocks in place:
Picture098.jpg

Lift the rear tire slightly with your foot or other hand, wiggle the top of the shock off its stud and swing down, then pull the shock off. Repeat on other side:
Picture099.jpg

Loosen these two bolts holding the rear brake caliper to the bracket:
Picture102.jpg

Then pull the cotter pin on the brake arm where it is attached to the caliper bracket and remove the bolt:
Picture100.jpg

Lift the brake arm up out of the way:
Picture101.jpg

Remove the bolts on the caliper and lift the caliper off of the disc:
Picture103.jpg

I like to bungy the caliper out of the way onto my peg so I don't kick it around or bang up the brake hose:
Picture104.jpg

Ok, now you look like this:
Picture105.jpg

Finish pulling the nut and washer off the axle shaft on the left side:
Picture106.jpg

Now, I sit on the ground behind the tire and wedge my foot under the tire to lift it slightly, then just tap the axle shaft with the palm of my left hand:
Picture107.jpg

With my foot still holding up the tire, I pull the axle out the rest of the way:
Picture108.jpg

And then I reassemble everything as it was on the bike, on the shaft so I remember:
Picture109.jpg

The tire will most likely still be suspended there on the differential. Just gently lift the wheel and wiggle to the right and it will slide out:
Picture110.jpg

Oh, and don't forget to take off your licence plate! I always bend mine up trying to jimmy the tire off!:
Picture111.jpg

And there you have it, now hopefully, the stealership won't charge you so much to change the tire!
Picture112.jpg

Nice job Dave.
Not sure about other guys out there but I have never taken the shock off to remove the wheel. I'm sure its easier when its removed but on my bike the muffler (aftermarket exhaust) would have to come off to get the shock off so I typically just hold the caliper with my right hand and use the left hand a and foot to get the wheel off once the axle and caliper bracket are removed.

Nice job Dave.
Not sure about other guys out there but I have never taken the shock off to remove the wheel. I'm sure its easier when its removed but on my bike the muffler (aftermarket exhaust) would have to come off to get the shock off so I typically just hold the caliper with my right hand and use the left hand a and foot to get the wheel off once the axle and caliper bracket are removed.

Good point Mike, I may need to edit that in. I am removing everything as I will be pulling the swingarm. But I do need to try and mention what parts do not need to be removed when just pulling the wheel. Thanks for the insight!

yea to remove the rear wheel i usually don't remove any of the brake stuff, just slide the caliper up off the rotor...

Very helpfull the max is my first shaft drive bike and i think i found it's biggest advantage haha quiker rear tire removal.

Nice job with the write up. I remember the one time I took off the stocker tire. Wish is was still this easy with the 180...hahahaha.:bang head::bang head::bang head:

It's funny I just did this yesterday and forgot how easy it was to take off to the tire coming out any way.

That was nothing short of Fantastic... Great Job and the pictures are priceless....

Thanks for the write up bikedave99 I have never change / removed a shaft drive before and with your photo's I was able to breeze right into the job at hand.

Thanks for the great and detailed write up. First time I am attempting to remove the rear tire on my MAX....and you made it seem easy enough. Well done.

Wow thanks for posting this info. I will be removing rear tire soon to have it powder painting. Is it better to paint rims or powder paint them?

"O" how do remove the rear swing arm like to have that painted to...
I'm ready to start pulling stuff apart.

Thanks

Attachments

• P1000531.jpg
    P1000531.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 65
Paint on the wheels have tendency to chip quickly. I'm having mine PC glossy black.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Wow thanks for posting this info. I will be removing rear tire soon to have it powder painting. Is it better to paint rims or powder paint them?

"O" how do remove the rear swing arm like to have that painted to...
I'm ready to start pulling stuff apart.

Thanks
Swingarm removal thread
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=13945
Powder is more durable than paint. Unless you intend to DIY paint its probably cheaper too.

Thanks, Mike and Diablotin. for putting me on the right track.

Latest posts

Back