Just curious

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regular Guy

Reaction score
What would you guys say my bike is worth?

You've seen the transformation done to her since I've gotten her but let me refresh your memory.

It's a 1999 Carbon Edition that has 7900 miles on it. The carbs were cleaned and re-synced right before I bought it. Has a new battery and I have done the following :

Powder Coated both wheels
New Rotors and Bearings on both wheels
New Pads
New tail light (got rid of bulky factory one)
Custom Paint on fenders and faux tank (by CaptainKyle)
Powder Coated the scoops
Powder Coated the sissy bar
New FULL Delkevic Carbon Fiber Exhaust wit new headers
New Carbon Fiber Tuning Fork (Yamaha Logo) Emblems
New Shinko Tourmasters front and back
Rebuilt Clutch Slave Cylinder
New Givi A123 Flyscreen
Phone/GPS Charger/Holder

f1101.JPG

f1102.JPG

f1103.JPG

f1107.JPG

f1104.JPG

That looks really sharp. Very tastefuly done! Im not sure where a gen1 tops out in value but ill bet its worth more than most.

Are you considering selling?

That looks really sharp. Very tastefuly done! Im not sure where a gen1 tops out in value but ill bet its worth more than most.

Are you considering selling?

Not necessarily, but maybe. It's a last resort type thing.

Well, the trick is that it's worth what someone's willing to give you for it. These bikes aren't an investment, because if they were, the prices would have decimated the number of people on here, and it would be much-more quiet, and people would be arguing about the correct torque paint mark on the swingarm fasteners, and whether the assembly line worker who painted them was right-or-left-handed, because of the angle of the paint stripe. Things like that.

Thank-god that's not the case. The VMax has its own place in the book of desireable Japanese bikes, alongside the 1973 Z1, the Z1-R's (especially the Z1-R TC's, American Turbo-Pak kit and paint by MOLLY), the Mach III and Mach IV; the KZ1000J-model, the Suzuki 1000 Katana, the Honda CB1100F, first-year GSXR750/1100's, especially the dry clutch ones; the Yamaha FZR750R, and whatever other bikes helped to steer the marketplace over the last 50 years. I didn't name a 1969 SOHC Honda 750 four, w/sandcast cases, because that's a 'collector's bike' out of the price range of most of us.

And there's a whole slew of smaller-displacement bikes, 250/305 Honda Superhawks, Suzuki X-5 Invader and X-6 Hustler, Yamaha R5/RD 350/400/RC350; Kawasaki 350 Avenger in low-or-high-pipes; Hodaka Ace 100, Dirt Squirt, Road Toad, or Combat Wombat (I think there was a consumption issue among the PABATCO Trading Co's marketing dept, as-in 'what were they smoking?'). Add your own vintage bikes. I'm not even gonna mention the small bikes from all of the Big Four, or the 3-wheelers. That's another story.

So, what's your bike worth? I'm sure you would like to hear, "ten thousand dollars," but the truth is probably more-like $5-6000. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but the market here in south Florida is soft on used bike prices right now, and it's been that way for awhile. I expect your area, GA probably isn't much different. if your local economy isn't strong, used bike prices will be a buyers' market.

Your bike is a clean example and tastefully-done. If you needed to sell it, and wanted to generate some interest, I would advertise it at something a bit below $6K and see what happens. Seling the desireable accessories separately is another way to get more $ overall. But, you have to have the replacement parts.

Well, the trick is that it's worth what someone's willing to give you for it. These bikes aren't an investment, because if they were, the prices would have decimated the number of people on here, and it would be much-more quiet, and people would be arguing about the correct torque paint mark on the swingarm fasteners, and whether the assembly line worker who painted them was right-or-left-handed, because of the angle of the paint stripe. Things like that.

Thank-god that's not the case. The VMax has its own place in the book of desireable Japanese bikes, alongside the 1973 Z1, the Z1-R's (especially the Z1-R TC's, American Turbo-Pak kit and paint by MOLLY), the Mach III and Mach IV; the KZ1000J-model, the Suzuki 1000 Katana, the Honda CB1100F, first-year GSXR750/1100's, especially the dry clutch ones; the Yamaha FZR750R, and whatever other bikes helped to steer the marketplace over the last 50 years. I didn't name a 1969 SOHC Honda 750 four, w/sandcast cases, because that's a 'collector's bike' out of the price range of most of us.

And there's a whole slew of smaller-displacement bikes, 250/305 Honda Superhawks, Suzuki X-5 Invader and X-6 Hustler, Yamaha R5/RD 350/400/RC350; Kawasaki 350 Avenger in low-or-high-pipes; Hodaka Ace 100, Dirt Squirt, Road Toad, or Combat Wombat (I think there was a consumption issue among the PABATCO Trading Co's marketing dept, as-in 'what were they smoking?'). Add your own vintage bikes. I'm not even gonna mention the small bikes from all of the Big Four, or the 3-wheelers. That's another story.

So, what's your bike worth? I'm sure you would like to hear, "ten thousand dollars," but the truth is probably more-like $5-6000. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but the market here in south Florida is soft on used bike prices right now, and it's been that way for awhile. I expect your area, GA probably isn't much different. if your local economy isn't strong, used bike prices will be a buyers' market.

Your bike is a clean example and tastefully-done. If you needed to sell it, and wanted to generate some interest, I would advertise it at something a bit below $6K and see what happens. Seling the desireable accessories separately is another way to get more $ overall. But, you have to have the replacement parts.

Being the left side of you brain works the right side of your body and the right side of your brain works the left side of your body it is totally clear that a left hander painted this bike. He was in his right mind.:clapping:

Lol! You guys rock! I love the answers, both the simple ones as well as FM's history lesson. Well done! I thank you all for the compliments, I think it is a very nice looking bike and don't want to sell it BUT it may come to that. I won't elaborate as to why. I bought the bike for $3700.00 and have put WAY more money in it than first intended. I get carried away, lol. I could've left that exhaust off but man does it look nice. I didn't need the little fly screen nor did I really NEED to paint it, I just wanted to. Soup to nuts, I have about $2100.00 into on top of the purchase price. So, getting that back out of it would be nice. I don't think I over customized it, I think it would be desirable to most anyone. We shall see if I decide to part ways with her. I will miss her even though I've only had her a short while. Let's just hope she gets to keep her parking space in my garage for a long time to come!!

So I was pretty-close with my estimate of just-under $6K. If you enjoy it for a couple of summers and can get that kind of $ out of it, you are doing better than most, and apart from your labor, which is 'free,' it hasn't cost you anything.

I know I enjoy doing things for myself, and it's something I like to do, working on old crocks, and restoring them to useable condition. With the network of parts availability and knowledge found here, we can have fun, and not spend the kids' tuition $$$ on our hobby.

So your into it 5800. With low miles and the market in my area you could get that, or real close. It's more about who your selling to than what your selling I alwase figured.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

So your into it 5800. With low miles and the market in my area you could get that, or real close. It's more about who your selling to than what your selling I alwase figured.

Very nice bike, in my opinions, by the way

Well my "into it" price just went up, lol. Sean e-mailed me to tell me that some v-stax are coming my way. I had forgotten about those bad boys! So, $6K it is! Damn! :blink000:

Well my "into it" price just went up, lol. Sean e-mailed me to tell me that some v-stax are coming my way. I had forgotten about those bad boys! So, $6K it is! Damn! :blink000:
Ahhh, your doin fine! V max addiction is much safer and cheaper than a lot of other addictions.

This is true. I didnt go too crazy on mine but still invested time and money making her my own. Doubt I could ever get out what I put in. Often with projects and older vehicles the work is an act of love and not profitable. Ill get my money back in use and enjoyment with no problem. My into it price, not counting time and labor, is ~ 5k, probably about 20% more than actual fair market value.

I wont even think about how much less my Samurai crawler is worth vs what I put into it.

I had a quick bout with the duramax addiction. Talk about could-be money pits. I have kept that monkey a bay with the vmax and now just do the usually expensive preventative maintenance.
Guitars amps and instruments, that's been a very busy monkey on my back for a long time. I had to stop going into pawn shops cause I'd always walk out with an amp or something.
Like I heard someone say at some point "he who dies with the most toys wins"

Latest posts

Back