Stripped air mixture screw

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tmelita

Reaction score
Can someone direct me to options to remove a stripped air mixture screw? I was given a set of carbs and I'm unable to remove one of the air mixture screws. Someone prior really smoothed the head, nothing there to bite into. Thanks. Tom

Removed it....1/4 inch drill to shave the top, 1/8 inch drill on center of top of jet enough to place a No:15 torx screw driver in and twisted it out.....the top of the threaded portion did snap off from the needle but a 1/4 hose placed down the recess and a little suction lifted the needle portion out.

That's good, when I get stuff like that, I usually give it to my machinist. Not cheap, but he can save the part, where I might bodge it up, and ruin it. I'll usually try something, and then give it to him if my effort wasn't successful

One like that I had recently, the unthreaded tip protruding out into the air passageway was able to give me enough space to use a socket to force the tip back-outwards enough, that it fell-out the screwed side, which was drilled-out to the bottom of the threads, with no threads left holding it in-place. Chasing the threads gave me a functional carb body air bleed screw again. That one I was lucky. The next one, I just gave to the machinist. It had to be drilled-out.

If you can get a 1/8 hole drilled, the torx 15 screw driver worked great this time. What is the secret, small impact screw driver with a long flat head bit, the impact breaks the screw loose quickly, I did the other 3 that way but this one bugger had a stripped head, wasn't many options at that point except to drill the 1/8 hole. Thanks for your comment.

Be very careful using an impact driver on your carb body! The metal is a soft alloy, it isn't very strong, and you could end up with a cracked carb body. :confused2:

I've removed a few and usually use a tapered easy out and tap it into the drilled hole then put the easy-out in a vice and twist the carb body. The needle end usually doesn't seize. My mini-mill works well for this, but I've done it with a hand help drill before too. The 1/4" drill gives a perfect center for the small drill bit.
Steve-o

Latest posts

Back