Was about to do the shotgun and...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
I decided, what the heck, it's been about 9 years since I did anything inside the carbs on my 85 so I yanked the carb bank and proceeded to disassemble and clean. Like last time, I did the repair without breaking apart the carb rack (the rail screws are stuck anyway).

Symptoms were poor idle, some backfiring, etc., and eventually, the bike would only run with the choke on. Finally, it got to a point where trying to use the throttle at all would cause the engine to die, every time.

The problems were right where I expected them to be. All of the jet needles had a little clump of varnish on them. And sure enough, the smallest jets inside the jet block were all varnish plugged.

I used a tiny wire, carb cleaner, and compressed air, as usual. The good news is that the jet block plugs and gaskets I replaced 9 years ago were still in good shape. I did however replace the 32 year-old float bowl gaskets this time as well as the jet needle plug and drain screw O-rings.

When checking idle mix screws, I noticed one is missing the washer and o-ring. I'll have to find replacements. With mix screws set at 2 turns from seated, the bike started, idled, and purred like it did 9 years ago. Nice....

Reconnecting the push-pull throttle cables was as annoying as I remembered it to be...

I will use the carbtune to adjust vacuum balance another day but for now, the idle is back and the power is back as well. I'm gonna have to be better about using the non-ethanol fuel around here. We have a place in town that apparently sells it.

My wife and I started using non ethanol gas in our bikes. Especially during winter months when they tend to sit for longer periods. The bowls get that gel like build up, it's a white/cloudy substance that gums everything up. We still use sea foam every couple tanks. I bought my 97, 4 years ago with a stuck float. I drained all 4 bowls, shot some carb cleaner down the supply line. Drained the bowels again, and ran a can of sea foam in every tank for 3 months. I just cracked the carbs over the winter, was no need. No varnish, no buildup, they were clean. Jet block, float, needles, gaskets, o rings, all looked brand new. And it sat for 2 years before I bought it. Po said he parked it because it was pushing fuel out of the over flow/vent hose that goes on top of the float bowl, and didn't feel like taking the carbs off. Figured after two years he would sell it.

I decided, what the heck, it's been about 9 years since I did anything inside the carbs on my 85 so I yanked the carb bank and proceeded to disassemble and clean. Like last time, I did the repair without breaking apart the carb rack (the rail screws are stuck anyway).

Symptoms were poor idle, some backfiring, etc., and eventually, the bike would only run with the choke on. Finally, it got to a point where trying to use the throttle at all would cause the engine to die, every time.

The problems were right where I expected them to be. All of the jet needles had a little clump of varnish on them. And sure enough, the smallest jets inside the jet block were all varnish plugged.

I used a tiny wire, carb cleaner, and compressed air, as usual. The good news is that the jet block plugs and gaskets I replaced 9 years ago were still in good shape. I did however replace the 32 year-old float bowl gaskets this time as well as the jet needle plug and drain screw O-rings.

When checking idle mix screws, I noticed one is missing the washer and o-ring. I'll have to find replacements. With mix screws set at 2 turns from seated, the bike started, idled, and purred like it did 9 years ago. Nice....

Reconnecting the push-pull throttle cables was as annoying as I remembered it to be...

I will use the carbtune to adjust vacuum balance another day but for now, the idle is back and the power is back as well. I'm gonna have to be better about using the non-ethanol fuel around here. We have a place in town that apparently sells it.

Sometimes the mixture needle o-ring sticks in the tunnel and is difficult to see. The straw from a spray can can usually fish it out.

Sometimes the mixture needle o-ring sticks in the tunnel and is difficult to see. The straw from a spray can can usually fish it out.

It's particularly difficult to see when the washer hides it.

Ethanol is bad stuff, but around here there are places where even the premium is ethanol tainted. Sometimes no choice. I do run a couple cap fulls of SeaFoam with and after the ethanol. The last few rides of the season are non ethanol so I can be sure it's flushed out, this spring I did nothing to her, no shotgun or anything, she lit right up ready to ride.

That tiny wire you used you can put a bend at the end to get the a/f washer and oring out if it is still in there. Are you removing throttle cables at the junction box behind the left scoop? It is easiest.

Orings-----
http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=40954

Just took my first 100 mile ride since cleaning the carbs and getting a new SLA battery from Apex. Half of the ride was 45-55 type riding. On that segment, which included some hefty mountain elevation riding, I got 50mpg!

Can't say I rode it slow (who rides a VMax slow?) on the next hop back on the interstate. I haven't pushed it for many years and forgot all about the 5th gear roll on satisfaction. I don't think I stayed out of the boost for probably 30 miles. That won't be good on the gas mileage but I'll post back results.

Clean carbs and a new battery. What a nice way to start the riding season.

Forgot to mention that a buddy riding next to me on a $14k BMW got 57mpg on the same segment.

I have a carb tune but haven't used it yet but the bike is back to tire burning pull...

Latest posts

Back