Cobra Slip ons w/stage 7 kit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stobrien

Reaction score
Looking at buying an 85 vmax, the owner put a stage 7 kit in the max without changing the exhaust. it idles fine but you must choke it to drive.
The price is right. do you think it just needs an exhaust system?
Would it work run with cobra slip-on's I have?

It needs the pilot jets cleaned if it won't run without the choke. Skip the cobras and get some stock jets and needles in there. Cobras actually make less power than a stock exhaust regardless of jet kits, as the scavenging is worse and the restriction is at the head pipes, not the outlets.

Looking at buying an 85 vmax, the owner put a stage 7 kit in the max without changing the exhaust. it idles fine but you must choke it to drive.
The price is right. do you think it just needs an exhaust system?
Would it work run with cobra slip-on's I have?

With stage 7 you would need full exhaust-correct.
No stage 7 will be too rich for slip-ons.

A stage 7 kit will run, with slip ons.....but not that well. You will either need to get rid of the slipons and go full exhaust, or go back to basically stock jetting in the carbs (including airbox etc....)

^ All the above is good advice.
With ANY slip-on exhaust a Stage 7 kit will make the bike run worse not better.
The problem is that the OEM head pipes are very restrictive, so a FULL aftermarket exhaust is needed in conjunction with the Stage 7 kit.

With Cobra slip-ons (or any slip-ons) the stock air box and jetting (or even slightly smaller main jets) work best.

I have Supertrapp slip-ons with the stock air box and jetting and my Vmax still runs slightly rich.

Thank you all for your Advice.

Looks like I am going to take on the 85 project.

The following has already been done or have been checked
New fuel pump
New front forks seals
New front break pads
New battery.
Compression is good
Second gear seems to be good
Fluids are good

I will need to do a major cleaning (my favorite), replace the seat cover, (any suggestions) and lastly get it to drive without the choke. It idles great

Would it be best to leave the stock pipes on the bike and rebuild the carbs back to stock set up?
Where is the best place to buy a Carb re-build kit for an 85?

I love working on these bikes.

The BEST place for total rebuild is BRC carb shop, (the banner at the bottom, or at the top of the page.) Sean Morley [email protected] (his email....best way to get him, will swap out rebuilt carbs). If you looking for a kit.....STAY AWAY from keyster. Several members have had issues.

As far as going stock pipes, or back to stack carbs.....what are you looking for? In stock set up, the Vmax is hard to beat. I didnt like the stock pipes and mufflers, because I would ride next to someone, and I couldnt hear my own bike. I now have Seans muscle jet kit.....which is like a modified stage 7 kit, and a kerker 4-1......and am very happy with it, and get 40 mpg as well, so it all comes down to what you wanna do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jIpfPeo8Sw

I would love to send it to Sean, as we are in Canada the freight and the border become a problem for us.

Latest posts

Back