carb tuning

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirHuthALot

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just got my carb tuning tool in the mail and hooked it up. The reading is bouncier than i expected, but I think I got them pretty close. I attached a video. Do you guys think it looks about right? I also turned up the idle screw so it was idling right at 1000 after the video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-KfNYuAXQA

Hello all,

Just got my carb tuning tool in the mail and hooked it up. The reading is bouncier than i expected, but I think I got them pretty close. I attached a video. Do you guys think it looks about right? I also turned up the idle screw so it was idling right at 1000 after the video....

Video is unavailable.

I got the video but also noticed your red light was on ( low on fuel) could that be contributing to the issue you are having ( just a shot in the dark ) I was always 100% successful fixing my carbs on my Gen 1's. I just sent them to Sean :rofl_200:

Hello all,

I haven't been able to view the video yet, but do you have restrictors in the hoses for your sync tool? They settle down the readings a lot.

I haven't been able to view the video yet, but do you have restrictors in the hoses for your sync tool? They settle down the readings a lot.

I did add the restrictors. I just figured they would b basically steady. Don't know if the bounce i was getting was normal. The idea sounds right to me, but I don't have the best point of reference.

I believe they are..... The instructions said cut the hoses approx 10 CM back from the engine and cut the clear plastic restrictor tube into roughly 4 equal pieces and insert into the cut hose. It came with 5mm & 6mm brass fittings, but I don't see how they hook up to the bike. I just slid the tubes over the existing fittings after sliding the caps off.

Not sure if this will help or not but wanted to at least mention it to you. when I had my 2007 I did the same thing with the same carb measuring tools. I finally found that the carbs that were off, were not seated 100% even a very little caused me the same readings. I sent pics to Sean and he is the one who told me that they needed to be seated 100% and all 4.

This may not be your issue but I wanted to share what I learned back then.

Not sure if this will help or not but wanted to at least mention it to you. when I had my 2007 I did the same thing with the same carb measuring tools. I finally found that the carbs that were off, were not seated 100% even a very little caused me the same readings. I sent pics to Sean and he is the one who told me that they needed to be seated 100% and all 4.

This may not be your issue but I wanted to share what I learned back then.

Thanks for the info. How would I know if they are seated? That could be the issue. Pardon my ignorance, all my engine experience is on a cummins truck engine. No carbs there lol

Thanks for the info. How would I know if they are seated? That could be the issue. Pardon my ignorance, all my engine experience is on a cummins truck engine. No carbs there lol

Here are some pics from my 2007 while I was syncing. all three pics show my carbs not 100% seated even though they may look it. Once I got the seated with a mild tap with a rubber mallet they seated and my sync was perfect.

carb1.jpg

carb2.jpg

carb3.jpg

I have to give all credit to Sean he helped me on this and found that they were not seated.

Hope this helps you

Thanks a bunch! I'll check that out this afternoon. Also, I noticed in other videos that people had taped up where they put the restricters in with electrical tape. I'll do that to mine and see if that makes a difference.

Are those rubbers hard as cement? Make sure, no cracks anywhere. It's ok to put some WD-40, or similar,on the inside of the rubbers. In fact if you douse the whole rubber in WD-40 it will soften them and they'll be easier to work with. They have to be rocked a little with downward pressure until all 4 seat completely. The boss for the drain screw should be flush with the top of the rubbers. I can't view your pic.
Steve-o

Latest posts

Back