Smelly, and stalls

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gulrok

Reaction score
Alrighty, I thought I'd post here since there wasn't another section that encompassed this.

Having a slight problem with the bike stalling out even after it is warming up. It also smells pretty smelly, like a heavy exhaust / unburnt fuel smell.

I'm thinking maybe it is a stuck float problem, or possibly a set of bad plugs. I haven't checked them yet. Any other suggestions?

The best thing you can do is read your plugs.
If one is fouled you know it's that cylinder.
Tap the fuel bowl to unstick the float-if that doesn't work then your carbs need to come off and a good thorough cleaning is in order.

Also check the battery with a volt meter, with the bike idling, warm, and fan on. If the R/R is starting to go out the volts drop, and the ignition system doesnt work like it should.

Also check the battery. With the bike not running, and headlight on, you should be greater than 12.55 volts. If not the battery could be on its way out, and then weird things start happening.

I ended up doing the shotgun carb clean today...

It seemed like nothing changed when I started it back up though. Maybe idling a little bit better but not really a lot changed.

and I changed the spark plugs.

The old spark plugs looked like they were from WW1.. it was bad. They were just overall in poor condition.

Started it back up and it was much much more smooth this time. It still needs a little bit of choke to idle right now but it isn't completely warmed up either.

Back