Seated Carbs?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirHuthALot

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm having trouble getting a good reading on my carb sync tool. Someone suggested that if the carbs weren't seated, they would give me bouncy reading. I took a picture or each carb and was hoping if someone with a better eye than me could tell me if they are seated correctly.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_3813.jpg
    IMG_3813.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3814.jpg
    IMG_3814.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3816.jpg
    IMG_3816.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3818.jpg
    IMG_3818.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 41
You can use a little lube on the rubber. that can help. I know fire medic recommends KY jelly. You can also check for leaks by spraying a little shot of starting fluid or carb cleaner around the boots. If there sucking air the motor will rev a little.

When I got my Venture home and pulled the carbs I found that one side the carbs were fully seated and the other side they were half way seated.

They can be very stiff, I put a clean rag over them and give them a solid press downward with the palm of my hand. I used a super thin film of Vaseline around the lower lip of the carbs and it slipped in with not to much grunt.

I can not tell from pictures 2 and 4. The casting seen on pics 1 and 3 clearly show it touching the rubber of the boot. The other carbs need to be viewed from the same angle.

Your #1 carb in pic #2 is not seated--also check your seating on the airbox.

+1 I also notice that the rubber gaskets look like they may have cracks in them. It might be a good idea to get a new set or ask Sean if he has a good set. I'm not saying that is your problem but it could be.

I can not tell from pictures 2 and 4. The casting seen on pics 1 and 3 clearly show it touching the rubber of the boot. The other carbs need to be viewed from the same angle.

If you look to the left of the drain screw on pic #2 you will see a line above the boot-needs to be pressed down.

Loosen the screws on the bands until they are VERY loose. Spray some WD-40 down into the boots, when the carbs seat, you will know it. There is an indention on the inside of the boot that the lip of the carb will fit into.

See post #6: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=35378&highlight=seating+carbs

Use your seat to seat 'em! I'm 220 lb+ and w/the airbox on-top of the carbs, you can seat the carbs and the airbox by sitting on the airbox. Even if you are running Stage 7 pods, then just remove the airbox and install your pods.

But, whatever works for you. My mechanic friend uses the water-soluble jelly for all-kinds of things, wiring, seating tires onto wheels, anything where you need 'em to slide a bit.

Latest posts

Back