Fork swap!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ktm super duke 48mm - Plug & Play :)

IMG_20160612_143515.jpg

That's awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to buy fork extensions, made to order in the UK, 150 bucks. The GSXR steering stem will need extending 15mm, and the top bearing is a one off from TWR Racing in the states, 40 bucks. I can send you the exact details if you want, I did mine OK.
1000% improvement!

You need to buy fork extensions, made to order in the UK, 150 bucks. The GSXR steering stem will need extending 15mm, and the top bearing is a one off from TWR Racing in the states, 40 bucks. I can send you the exact details if you want, I did mine OK.
1000% improvement!

Yes, please do! And your bike is sweet. Very nice!

Not gonna lie, kinda dig that whitewall tire

Im sure most of you know you can buy the whole triple tree setup, but it aint cheap and I like to do things myself.
So buy the triple trees off flea bay, some bargains off there. I used GSXR 1000 but others will fit. The fork offset is different but I've noticed no handling issues.
The stem on the gixxer is 15mm shorter than the max head stock tube, so you need to extend it. the stem is hollow ally, so cut in the middle, I used a good set of pipe cutters, it gives a nice square cut.
Next, get someone to machine you up a stainless steel bar, 14.5mm dia. if I recall right, with a 15mm step in the middle same diameter as the outside of the stem, with threaded ends, stainless nuts to match.
Put through the middle, and tighten as tight as possible. its important that the bar is machined to be snug in the tube so it lines up perfectly.
Weld the nuts (stainless rods) and dress with a grinder. The result is a very strong, extended stem. I drilled through the stem both sides of the cut and pinned them for added security.
The stop lugs need moving. Cut them off at the base carefully, they are re-used.
The bottom bearing is the same as gixxer original, but the top bearing is a special. Not off the shelf, no Jap bike uses the size. Get from TWF Racing in the states, it is 47x30x15. Costs 40 bucks.
Put the whole assembly together on the bike for a trial fit, don't fit the top bearing yet though.
Mark where the stops need to go, so the forks will not hit the radiator.
I drilled and tapped the original stops in the new position, using 5mm bolts from underneath. Locktite and tighten.
The fork extensions come from Billet Bike Bits in the UK, (he'll sell you the whole triple tree if you want, very nice. Check out his website). I used 85mm extensions so the geometry of the max stays the same. Around 150 bucks, and fit great.
Put back in, torque it down to spec. Took me a day to do, once I had all the bits.
Photo attached. I cut of the gixxer ignition switch piece and dressed it up.
Cheap way to get the new front end in.
You can mix and match GSXR wheel/calipers/discs/forks etc. there is a chart on the interweb than shows all the models and dimensions.

Attachments

• Spindle.jpg
    Spindle.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 16
To me, it's hipster appeal. Not a bad look but I probably would not use one myself. Sure to give the onlookers endless debate.

Thanks for the fork notes.

The bright bodywork and the aluminum engine work well together. I have thought of doing an unpainted engine.

The white wall causes much debate, but I like it.

Latest posts

Back