Where to get 1985 "Dark Amethyst" paint?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCVmax

Reaction score
Looking at buying an '85 that has been painted some god awful blue color. It needs to be put back to the Original Dark Amethyst color. Only problem is, I can't find it... anywhere.
Just wondering if you guys have any idea where I could get some?

I found the code (00KW DA) but no online sources for it. I wonder if I could take that to a paint shop and have them mix it? Hmmm....

Most modern paint shops can match original paint if they can get a sample. Did the previous owner paint the inside of the faux tank? when I had Zilla painted Black Cherry, I asked the painter not to do the inside surface. That left me a sample of the original color, just in case.

Colorite does not offer the color anymore. I Looked for it for a while. I finally borrowed a piece off of Gleasons takin it t the 9s bike & I think I have a close match. I am trying to get some other stuff out of the way so I can paint a set & see what it looks like. I am sure it will be off a little but should be close.

My '85 was a red one (the fast color!). Funny thing it was exactly the same color as my '73 RD 350.

This is my '85 XJ700X which is Deep Scarlet....but there was a blue-ish one called Deep Violet. Seems like it was pretty close to the VMax color....wonder if that is a similar deal as Bill's RD?

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 15
Colorite does not offer the color anymore. I Looked for it for a while. I finally borrowed a piece off of Gleasons takin it t the 9s bike & I think I have a close match. I am trying to get some other stuff out of the way so I can paint a set & see what it looks like. I am sure it will be off a little but should be close.

I thought that was an 86 model? Didn't think they made them with dark amethyst in 86.
Is that actually the DA color, or some sort of custom repaint?
I'd definitely like to see pics once you get something painted.

You can't get it ready made. A good paint shop will make it if you give them the paint code. They have a guide as to what colors to use. I had my '86 faux tank repainted i 'Sparkle maroon' and they got it perfect, including the colors of the metal flake. I've attached the chart. and pic of mine!!

Attachments

• VMAX paint codes and names (1) (1).pdf
    25.7 KB · Views: 13
  • maroon.jpg
    maroon.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 24
Back