Anyone else in the houston metro or gulf coast area

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CNN SUCKS DONKEY

Reaction score
I suspect my bike has a lower temp tstat or a stuck open - no tstat at all , being the temp gauge only moves 10% at full operating temp at highway and heavy traffic speeds needle never goes more than just a bit 5-10% instead of 1/2 way wich I would think is norm op temp of course the fan dosent come on- it does work I checked it. Their are variables though one Ive never owned a vmax before two weeks ago thus I dont know if this is typical and two the weather here has been cool 60-68° or so. Wich is why I wanted to ask another local if they have similar temp readings.

Typical temp readings are on the high end of the gauge, very close to the red when sitting in traffic for most, stock vmaxes. Its not uncommon for the fan to come on in 60-70 degree temps when sitting still.

Its a subject of contention as many guys feel their bike runs too hot but others feel that Yamaha designed it this way so, it should be fine.

Most that I've heard from that have done mods to lower them temp get to the halfway mark.

What if any negative comes from the bike running with what now seems like a low temp ? despite it being full of coolant.

If you have a infared thermometer you can check temps at several locations, such as radiator in, radiator out, or at the fill cap manifold. You could even compare those temps to that of the cylinder and heads (around the spark plug area).
Let us know what values you get if you are able to test.

I'd also check the connection to the sending unit (the small bullet one on the coolant junction under the right scoop)

Sean made a good point. My temp gauge was acting wonky, turned out all I needed to do was slightly squeeze the connector to the sender to tighten it up a bit, and all was well..

If you have a infared thermometer you can check temps at several locations, such as radiator in, radiator out, or at the fill cap manifold. You could even compare those temps to that of the cylinder and heads (around the spark plug area).
Let us know what values you get if you are able to test.

Harbour freight has the temp guns pretty cheap, and they work very well.

Got the temp gauge to move today. As shown I took temp readings from top and side of heads. Gauge went to halfway, the highest since Ive had it. Not every piston was the exact same temp but all 4 within 11°F of each other.

Attachments

• 20170316_193521.jpg
    20170316_193521.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20170316_193555.jpg
    20170316_193555.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 2
  • 20170316_193455.jpg
    20170316_193455.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back