seat question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have opportunity, try the seat out before you buy it. There are guys on here that love a corbin seat, and just as many that hate it.

Ufortunatly i can't try before i buy,i might just put a cover on my stock seat seat.Can't make my mind up,the corbin seat looks like it might fit me.

I have a corbin.I am 6'1 and 260 and I have had back surgery.I really like mine,yes,it is firm ,not soft but I find it is much better than the stock seat for longer rides.I can ride 200 miles on a Sunday afternoon and be fine.It doesn't sit lower as the other after market seats do,which I like since I am over 6 ft but that might be an issue for you.It is wider than stock so it provides a lot more rear end area for you and passenger.

I have a corbin, the newer design with the chess block covering the filler. That is it the old style like my brothers. Both are "tough" but support my 6'3" 220lbs well for extended rides upwards of 300 miles.
Now if only it would solve the occasional dreaded hip cramps that the Vmax riding position can cause.

I have a corbin.I am 6'1 and 260 and I have had back surgery.I really like mine,yes,it is firm ,not soft but I find it is much better than the stock seat for longer rides.I can ride 200 miles on a Sunday afternoon and be fine.It doesn't sit lower as the other after market seats do,which I like since I am over 6 ft but that might be an issue for you.It is wider than stock so it provides a lot more rear end area for you and passenger.
Your a giant,i think i'll give it a try.I can always resell.Cheers.

I like mine, and put 4000 miles on it in about 10 days of riding on a trip two years ago. You gotta like firm support to like the seat, though.

If you have opportunity, try the seat out before you buy it. There are guys on here that love a corbin seat, and just as many that hate it.

+1 to try one first. I put a Corbin seat on my 89 and didn't like it. Back support wan't great and it was wide. For me anyway. Seats do get compressed after years of use. My riding position has changed to a more forward, straight back position. I can ride a lot longer like that. and have better control of the bike.

I've been sitting on a Corbin since Americade 1990. Wore out the cover, had it redone, deleting the flap over the gas cap. You really don't have to bolt on the seat, it won't fall off. If the seat ever got wrecked, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat..

It's a hard set absolutely! I'd purchase another for certain.
The design is well thought out though to cradle the arse and loins. There are probably "more cushy" seats, but I find those have their own issues of sweating, and that's a different burn.

When I bought my 1992 bike in 1993,from the Ft. Lauderdale Yamaha dealer, I tried a Corbin but thought it wasn't what I was looking for at the time, especially since they wanted full price for one.

Years later, I'm heavier, and have found the Corbin more to my liking, (I use one now) but I prefer a firm seat cushion anyway. No, I don't use the bolts, but I'm thinking I might try a ball-detent pin in the threaded hole, it might delay a seat theft.

When I had the seat redone, I asked the guy not to perforate the mounting bolt holes. Of course that won't help a bit if someone wants to swipe your seat..

6'1+ 210lbs. Hated the Corbin. It was good for 2 hrs tops before I cant take anymore. I have less ass padding than most. I found it not firm but downright hard and shaped wrong for my narrow backside. Also the width was awkward with feet down, especially if moving the bike, its really effin heavy too.

I have a maxgasser and thats really nice. Never again with Corbin though, maybe the worst seat I have ever experienced.

Probably uncomfortable:
ClickHandler.ashx

Wasn't happy with the original stock seat. After a couple of hours my tenders were aching. Felt like sitting on a bare saw horse. Checking around I read about Corbin seats and thought it was worth a shot, so I invested in a Corbin. I have the newer style with the plug for the fuel instead of the older flap version. I am 5' 8", 205lb. and I really liked the way the seat pan was shaped.
Hard, most definitely, but wide and round seems to fit my body shape. Even at my height I have no problem reaching the ground with both feet firmly. The only disappointment with the Corbin was with the original seat, I had the ExactRep sissy bar installed. With the Corbin, due to the way the ExactRep bar mounts, it has a bracket the runs right between the seat and the stock grab bar. I was not able to keep the sissy bar on it with out modifying the seat. Didn't want to do that! Pretty sure the Corbin would work with the factory sissy bar no problem.
In Aug last year, I was fortunate to purchase a MaxGasser. Finally got it shipped and installed about two weeks ago. Really like the look and feel of it. It also allowed me to put the after market sissy bar back on. Again, really liked the Corbin, but really wanted my sissy bar back on the bike. When my 11yr old rides with me, it makes me feel a little better off knowing there is something else there to hold him on. So, I might have a Corbin for sale in the near future.
As you stated, if you bought a Corbin and don't like it, you can always sell it. Like several have pointed out, you either like it or not.

Give it a try, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Here a few shots of mine with Corbin and MaxGasser with ExactRep bar.

Attachments

• Corbin left side.jpg
    Corbin left side.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Corbin right side.jpg
    Corbin right side.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Corbin rear view.jpg
    Corbin rear view.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 26
  • MAXGASSER with sissy seat.jpg
    MAXGASSER with sissy seat.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 25
  • MAXGASSER with sissy seat2.jpg
    MAXGASSER with sissy seat2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 26
Wasn't happy with the original stock seat. After a couple of hours my tenders were aching. Felt like sitting on a bare saw horse. Checking around I read about Corbin seats and thought it was worth a shot, so I invested in a Corbin. I have the newer style with the plug for the fuel instead of the older flap version. I am 5' 8", 205lb. and I really liked the way the seat pan was shaped.
Hard, most definitely, but wide and round seems to fit my body shape. Even at my height I have no problem reaching the ground with both feet firmly. The only disappointment with the Corbin was with the original seat, I had the ExactRep sissy bar installed. With the Corbin, due to the way the ExactRep bar mounts, it has a bracket the runs right between the seat and the stock grab bar. I was not able to keep the sissy bar on it with out modifying the seat. Didn't want to do that! Pretty sure the Corbin would work with the factory sissy bar no problem.
In Aug last year, I was fortunate to purchase a MaxGasser. Finally got it shipped and installed about two weeks ago. Really like the look and feel of it. It also allowed me to put the after market sissy bar back on. Again, really liked the Corbin, but really wanted my sissy bar back on the bike. When my 11yr old rides with me, it makes me feel a little better off knowing there is something else there to hold him on. So, I might have a Corbin for sale in the near future.
As you stated, if you bought a Corbin and don't like it, you can always sell it. Like several have pointed out, you either like it or not.

Give it a try, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Here a few shots of mine with Corbin and MaxGasser with ExactRep bar.

The factory sissy bar will work technically but sits too far back for passenger (IMO),but corbin has a couple different ones available that fit thier seat.

Yup Corbin does have about 3 options.
I purchased the smallest available.
Whether carrying a passenger, luggage, helmet or beer... it fits what I do well.

Attachments

• backrest.jpg
    backrest.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 18
  • luggage.jpg
    luggage.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 14
  • helmet.jpg
    helmet.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 14
  • beer.jpg
    beer.jpg