Would like some opinions on torque wrenches

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
I have 2 torque wrenches one is ft/lb and the other is about 2 feet long, I never used it, got it from my father in-law years ago. I get the idea how to use them but not how to convert to Newton Meter so I am looking to get one what does have Nm.

My first choice would be Sears but they closed the sears store and K-marts in my area, so I will use my Amazon prime so I don't have to pay shipping.

I was looking at this one,

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24325...493230892&sr=1-13&refinements=p_85:2470955011

What do you guys think? if it is a nay can you suggest a good one without breaking the bank.

***** I just realize this one doesn't go down to 10 Nm which is what I need for my oil plug nut. now I am looking for a good suggestion.

I got a pretty decent one from Napa that does Nm and (ugh) SAE some years back. Cant remember the price, but its been a VERY valuable tool to have in my box.

I got a pretty decent one from Napa that does Nm and (ugh) SAE some years back. Cant remember the price, but its been a VERY valuable tool to have in my box.

Thanks, Although Jan Bee also gave me two options, I am no "mechanic" so Snap on was not an option and Harbor Freight you never know what you are going to get, I have got good stuff and then got trash. I do appreciate all the suggestions.

I need to get one so I can torque my oil plug nut, I was wanting to do it this week but we got 2 inches of snow last night and it's still damn cold here.

Thanks again

So far, this from HF has been working fine for me..
Torque Adapter.jpg

I looked at a few that looked like that one. thanks for the suggestion.

1 ft lb = 1.36 nm
1nm = .737 ft lb.

Be careful with torque figures on oil drain bolts. Most torque figures are for dry bolts unless otherwise stated. A bolt with oil on the threads will be vastly over torqued using dry figures.

Just snug the thing up.

Most torque wrenches do have ft lbs on one side and Nm on the other.

1 ft lb = 1.36 nm
1nm = .737 ft lb.

Be careful with torque figures on oil drain bolts. Most torque figures are for dry bolts unless otherwise stated. A bolt with oil on the threads will be vastly over torqued using dry figures.

Just snug the thing up.

Thanks for the conversion, I wanted to get a wrench that is for Nm so I wouldn't over torque it.

You are saying I should just snug the bolt enough it is snug and no oil leaking.. This is better than torquing to the specific Nm the service manual says.

I'm not debating your answer or disagreeing with it, I just want to be 100% sure before I break a bolt. I have always just tightened the bolts until they felt tight without breaking and so far no broken bolt over the years.

The other day I was reading the service manual and I saw a lot of settings that require torque, So now I am trying to do it right.

Most torque wrenches do have ft lbs on one side and Nm on the other.

The one I have doesn't and the 2ft one I doubt measures Nm That was why I asked for a good torque wrench, now I wonder if torquing is good or bad for the oil bolt like 1FK00 said in his post.

?????????

Dont cheap out too much here, it's a valuable tool and you want accuracy. Snap on is nice but it will break the bank. You might try Matco and some other USA made brands. Craftsman seems to have slipped off a cliff over the last few years so not sure I would feel good about that.

I use a cheapo beam type for most basic jobs and it has served me well but if your breaking into an engine or drive train components then a higher quality click type is what I would go with. Made in the USA means nothing like what it did a few years ago but for tools it's still a pretty good measure.

Something like this would be alright and not to expensive. If you go with a used one make sure to budget for having it calibrated, other than that there is nothing wrong with a used wrench that has been cared for properly.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATCO-3-8-D...839529?hash=item3ae177f9e9:g:NicAAOSw7U5Y~MEq

Dont cheap out too much here, it's a valuable tool and you want accuracy. Snap on is nice but it will break the bank. You might try Matco and some other USA made brands. Craftsman seems to have slipped off a cliff over the last few years so not sure I would feel good about that.

I use a cheapo beam type for most basic jobs and it has served me well but if your breaking into an engine or drive train components then a higher quality click type is what I would go with. Made in the USA means nothing like what it did a few years ago but for tools it's still a pretty good measure.

Something like this would be alright and not to expensive. If you go with a used one make sure to budget for having it calibrated, other than that there is nothing wrong with a used wrench that has been cared for properly.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATCO-3-8-D...839529?hash=item3ae177f9e9:g:NicAAOSw7U5Y~MEq

I have 2 one craftsman that is Ft/Lb and a K-D Tools in/lbs that my father in-law gave me years ago. I have never used either but I looked and of course the ft/lbs doesn't have Nm, nor does the K-D Tools.

I am looking at this one,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...C5ZL0RU&linkCode=as2&tag=bestprodtag110393-20

If you only use it once and awhile it's probably fine but not sure you will find anyone to calibrate it. If you plan on using it regularly I strongly suggest something a little higher up the food chain.

If the Craftsmans are older I'll bet they are decent. so a simple conversion from ft/lb to nm upon use and pocket the money to buy your buddy Tony a steak dinner :clapping:

If you only use it once and awhile it's probably fine but not sure you will find anyone to calibrate it. If you plan on using it regularly I strongly suggest something a little higher up the food chain.

If the Craftsmans are older I'll bet they are decent. so a simple conversion from ft/lb to nm upon use and pocket the money to buy your buddy Tony a steak dinner :clapping:

Like I said the Craftsman I have never used I am about to read the manual to see what it does. I honestly forgot I had bought it about 6years ago. The link I included on my last post wasn't the right one that one only started at 13.8 Nm not 10 which I need for the Oil drain bolt.

I double checked the Craftsman and it does have Nm but the lowest setting is 33.0

I already own you a steak dinner !!

Thanks

I've never used a torque wrench on a oil drain plug and I think this is what Jedi is saying. I feel for the crush washer to crush as my gauge.That being said, if you are not sure a torque wrench should be used. I'm not sure what the spec is on the oil fill bolt but I think the Amazon wrench is too highly rated at min 10 ft/lbs.
This one might work better for a lot of bolts on a motorcycle: https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24320...rd_wg=IY9I7&psc=1&refRID=Y3CXV7GSW5W4V7SB5X7Z

I wondered about these when they came out and glad it works for you. I might check one out. I can't say I care for the H.F. micrometer adjusting torque wrench The beam type ones sold at parts stores are more accurate.

I have to agree, I wouldnt trust H.F. with precision anything. I dig the beam type torque wrench, it works well enough for things outside the engine. For engine work I have click type. I've turned enough wrenches that I feel comfortable doing caliper bolts, oil drain plugs and stuff like that by feel. I applaud Ron for caring enough to make sure the job is done correctly, I wish the last owner of my bike cared that much. I think I would give that Craftsman torque wrench a go with this. I used to have a printed out Nm to ft/lb conversion table printed out and fixed to the inside of my top chest lid.

I've never used a torque wrench on a oil drain plug and I think this is what Jedi is saying. I feel for the crush washer to crush as my gauge.That being said, if you are not sure a torque wrench should be used. I'm not sure what the spec is on the oil fill bolt but I think the Amazon wrench is too highly rated at min 10 ft/lbs.
This one might work better for a lot of bolts on a motorcycle: https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24320...rd_wg=IY9I7&psc=1&refRID=Y3CXV7GSW5W4V7SB5X7Z

Thanks, Yes I have been getting all kinds of suggestions and the service manual says to torque it to 10 Nm. I did order the exact torque wrench you sent me a link to yesterday. I was trying to find the same brand in 3/8" with a Nm that went down to 10 but could only find the 1/4"

So far 2 of you said you don't torque the oil bolt and one other just said I don't need a torque wrench and that was it so I assume that he meant he doesn't think I should torque it as well.

I'll try to tighten it to snug and not torque it and then double check often to make sure there is no leaking. I do not want to screw up and break a bolt off, Thanks for your reply and thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions in this thread.

Latest posts

Back