Oil filter cover

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbraz7

Reaction score
I have a 1990 V-max 1200cc as I was changing out the oil filter, it wasnt on right and I broke off one of the 2 little ears.... It snapped off and took a about of 1/4 inch of the outter gasket surface with it... I just kinda sat the peice back on and bolted it all together and started it cautiously watching that spot and no leaks or anything. My question is, if I JB weld it do you think it would be alright? Im going to attach a drawing of what it looks like the red line represents the gasket.

Attachments

• vmax.jpg
    vmax.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 148
Sean,

I have a similar situation. The oil filter cover is fine but something happened to the big chunk of metal it attaches to. If I e-mail you an address do you think you could sent one out?...laughing. Nice gesture on Sean's part though, try buying one from the dealership and you will be amazed at the price of one of those covers.

Todd

I have plenty of covers but if you broke the part that it attaches to that is the lower case half and it's not a good day for you.

The oil filter cover union bolt is 23 ft pds.

23 ft lbs, right where my elbow clicks. They don't have to be cranked on too tight. Another option is a spin on filter adapter, but it's not very cheap. The cross brace above the filter needs to be modified or replaced with a later Gen 1 type. there's a huge selection of filters once it's done.
Steve

23 ft lbs, right where my elbow clicks. They don't have to be cranked on too tight. Another option is a spin on filter adapter, but it's not very cheap. The cross brace above the filter needs to be modified or replaced with a later Gen 1 type. there's a huge selection of filters once it's done.
Steve
I do it the same way but he asked.

Thanks, I just did the change for the first time, mine is from 93 but on the manual was only showing the torque but for the engine with the other kind, which i supposed to be lower than mine with the external cap, but I didn't find any info about the torque for it.
I don't see any problem with this internal filter, if it's better than the recent versions after 95 that I don't know, but at least wanted to see if was applying the right torque. But I noticed that it was well tight and last time was made on a shop.

Not sure it's any better either. Just thought I'd through it out there to make some that didn't know it's available.it is easier to find a spin on on a weekend,that's for sure. The old style may even cool better.
Steve-o

Ok, head's up to all who have never done this, the bolt on mine is very tight through the filter cover, so tight it brought the cover with it when loosening until it hit that cross frame piece before coming free from the engine. Ugh so now I had to move that to get the cover/filter off, oh and to get outta the way I had to take the horn off, I should say most of this is because I had never done this before to Max and I didn't want to do something stupid, so to some it up, That bolt fits really tight in my cover, all good now no leaks

The oring is tight but not keeping the bolt from sliding out, after getting into it I tapped the bolt from the inside and got it to move, I was going to change the oriing but when I got to the threaded part of the bolt I would have had to unscrew it to get it out, I bailed out, it wasn't leaking so I left it alone. The oring is on the outside under the washer is that correct???

The oring is tight but not keeping the bolt from sliding out, after getting into it I tapped the bolt from the inside and got it to move, I was going to change the oriing but when I got to the threaded part of the bolt I would have had to unscrew it to get it out, I bailed out, it wasn't leaking so I left it alone. The oring is on the outside under the washer is that correct???

This should help out with how things should be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR7C0EBi6Tk

Latest posts

Back