What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm replacing the forward valve cover rubber gasket. Had to wait a few months after I replaced the rear cover gasket, which was very painful. Not much room to work with getting the cover up and over the timing gear/chain.
I removed the carbs for more clearance, and while accessible, I replaced the rubber carb-to-head mounts. I damaged a cover bolt grommet, so now waiting on a new set to be delivered.

I'm replacing the forward valve cover rubber gasket. Had to wait a few months after I replaced the rear cover gasket, which was very painful. Not much room to work with getting the cover up and over the timing gear/chain.
I removed the carbs for more clearance, and while accessible, I replaced the rubber carb-to-head mounts. I damaged a cover bolt grommet, so now waiting on a new set to be delivered.

Hey everyone, long time..

I remember Sean saying he removed the engine, anytime he wanted to take valve covers off..

I'd call that another desirable Kyle paint job. Looking great. He makes it easy, give him a set of tins and he sends you freshly-painted ones. Bolt-on, go!

To me, British racing green is more of a dark green, solid color rather than a metallic. I think I would call Kyle's color more of a 'teal.' The standard for British racing green to my thinking is what Lotus used on their Formula 1 cars in the early-mid 1960's before all the advertising showed-up. I have Kodacolor pics of F1 Lotuses driven by Jim Clark and Graham Hill I took during their racing careers. If anyone needs a Ferrari color comparison, I have some of John Surtees and Lorenzo Bandini at the same venues as Clark and Hill. I actually prefer a bit-more 'bright' red, maybe something with a bit of yellow.

You gotta stop posting this paint work, every time I get to feeling good about my paint job you come along and knock me down a few pegs!:rofl_200: Seriously, I always enjoy seeing your work. Love the BRG!

I'd call that another desirable Kyle paint job. Looking great. He makes it easy, give him a set of tins and he sends you freshly-painted ones. Bolt-on, go!

To me, British racing green is more of a dark green, solid color rather than a metallic. I think I would call Kyle's color more of a 'teal.' The standard for British racing green to my thinking is what Lotus used on their Formula 1 cars in the early-mid 1960's before all the advertising showed-up. I have Kodacolor pics of F1 Lotuses driven by Jim Clark and Graham Hill I took during their racing careers. If anyone needs a Ferrari color comparison, I have some of John Surtees and Lorenzo Bandini at the same venues as Clark and Hill. I actually prefer a bit-more 'bright' red, maybe something with a bit of yellow.

Thank! The green is called dark Caribe Metallic Dodge color if I remember right. Pretty dark & has tons of metallic in it. I am always looking for kind of off colors I do not see everyday on a bike.

Just replaced the older brake fluid in the front.. It was a little brownish.. Now I'm waiting for some rear caliper piston seals.. While painting my extremely aged looking calipers the other day, I noticed that one piston was not moving freely. Then I noticed a tiny bit of rubber seal, peeking out at the top of the stuck piston.

This is not what I want to hear!

Me either..

I wrestled with my back cover one time and gave up after scratching it up. And what good is it, only getting to the front valves?

Not my bike but John H. he is a new guy I have been trying to help out with some issues on his 02. He has a stage 7 kit, with pods, but stage 1 needles. For some reason he said his bike surges at 6K and again around 9K. First think I looked at was his slides. Only one of them seemed to work smoothly. I pulled them out did a light coat of WD40, and reinstalled them. They all seemed to work better, then it started again at high RPM surging again. I went back last night and tightened down two of his diaphrams, that spun freely on the slide. He rode it and once again he said it sputtered at 6 and 9 K... Not sure of what all else to look at. Bike also has stock coils, nology wires, I believe it has an aftermarket electrical for the spark, but I don't know too much about it. Oh and the springs are the shorter stage 7 springs, slides have been drilled, I didnt see or feel any cracks...

Well not today but over the last 2 weeks I pulled the front end apart and fitted new fork seals,ATF instead of fork oil,new steering head bearings and repainted the mudguard,fork brace,upper and lower triples and the faux tank cover.And added red paint to the recessed letters.I also fitted a VDO tacho with shift light,new bar end mirrors and made a rising sun decal for the faux tank.Not the best job but it does stand out.Next on the list is a bikini fairing and a bellypan.I haven't downloaded piccies of the decal yet.The handling has improved and I used Sean Morley's videos to make sure I did the job right.There is still some damage that needs to be fixed from an accident I had a 2 months ago and I haven't straightened or replaced the handlebars yet but it is rideable .So nice to be back on the road again.Cheers Kevman.

Attachments

• IMG_20180607_145634964_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180607_145634964_HDR.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20180607_174503064.jpg
    IMG_20180607_174503064.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 36
Well not today but over the last 2 weeks I pulled the front end apart and fitted new fork seals,ATF instead of fork oil,new steering head bearings and repainted the mudguard,fork brace,upper and lower triples and the faux tank cover.And added red paint to the recessed letters.I also fitted a VDO tacho with shift light,new bar end mirrors and made a rising sun decal for the faux tank.Not the best job but it does stand out.Next on the list is a bikini fairing and a bellypan.I haven't downloaded piccies of the decal yet.The handling has improved and I used Sean Morley's videos to make sure I did the job right.There is still some damage that needs to be fixed from an accident I had a 2 months ago and I haven't straightened or replaced the handlebars yet but it is rideable .So nice to be back on the road again.Cheers Kevman.

Nice work, glad to hear your back on the road!

Spent about 2 hours trying to get my rims to look nice again..... I tried Meguire's Hot rims, and white diamond... they still need Jesus...lol I guess I should have kept them up. I used to spend a good couple of hours 1-2 times a year on them.... Gotta clean out the trailer and pack for Thunder....

Latest posts

Back