How to change your water pump seals

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya know I was trying to figure that out which side it was on I couldn't remember stupid me why would you lib with antifreeze lol.. yea just see how much one would be and go from there.. if u can't find one cheap run it.. but it is definetly where a seal rides? Or bearing? If its not exactly where the seal rides I would leave it

Not too sure on the bearing but being as it runs in oil you should be ok there....but I'd replace the empeller/shaft if it was my bike. Probly run $45 - $50 w/shipping. Part # for your '03 1FK-12450-00-00

Listen to the waterpump after assembly, should be just a whooshing sound....no mechanical noise. Stethescope is just the ticket...H/F maybe?

thanks guys! i messaged sean as well as he has good used ones in stock for the right price!

If you don't have a stethoscope u can use a long screwdriver..... old school trick young guy knowledge

If you don't have a stethoscope u can use a long screwdriver..... old school trick young guy knowledge

I used to use a piece of TV roof antanae rod with a baby nipple on the end! :clapping:
Always made me a little nervous around rotating parts tho....one slip and that rod comes out the opposite ear!! :bang head:

Does this bearing look fully seated?

Doesn't want to seem to go any lower.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363238010960.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363238010960.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 92
Yes I believe that's right. One way to tell is once you install impeller and shaft if everything isn't seated properly you wont be able to get snap rings in.. its been awhile since I did this but I know it wasn't hard to install bearing so I believe its seated

Yes I believe that's right. One way to tell is once you install impeller and shaft if everything isn't seated properly you wont be able to get snap rings in.. its been awhile since I did this but I know it wasn't hard to install bearing so I believe its seated

yea that was my thought as well. i'm just waiting on that new to me impeller.

Well, that was quite the adventure for me, The Noob Wrencher. I'd been hesitant to open up the engine before, but I had all the parts and figured I'd save a few hundred dollars doing it myself. It wasn't too hard with the Haynes book and this how to guide.

I had to find and buy a 26mm socket to drive in the mechanical seal. I could not find a phenolic gasket scraper anywhere, so I had to settle for some gasket dissolving spray and very carefully using a metal scraper thing(awl?)

I also flushed and changed the coolant. Nothing leaking now, so it seems I did it right. :)

Well, that was quite the adventure for me, The Noob Wrencher. I'd been hesitant to open up the engine before, but I had all the parts and figured I'd save a few hundred dollars doing it myself. It wasn't too hard with the Haynes book and this how to guide.

I had to find and buy a 26mm socket to drive in the mechanical seal. I could not find a phenolic gasket scraper anywhere, so I had to settle for some gasket dissolving spray and very carefully using a metal scraper thing(awl?)

I also flushed and changed the coolant. Nothing leaking now, so it seems I did it right. :)
Good deal, I doubt you used and awl.Here is your scraper.
http://www.jusntyme.com/products/scrapers.html

I could not find a phenolic gasket scraper anywhere, so I had to settle for some gasket dissolving spray and very carefully using a metal scraper

I typically use a razor blade even thought its not recommended. Works just fine if you are careful.

I follow up with a scotchbrite pad if needed. You need to be careful though because its easy to remove the paint just at the edge of the casing when using the scotchbrite.

I have fashioned a plastic scraper from an old cutting board. I just take it out of the kitchen and tell my wife its time to buy a new one. It doesn't last long though. You need to sharpen it often.

Oil with water like cream from the overflow on the garage floor after a 100 mile run. no lose of power. Head scratch how there is no water in the sump. Could only be from the water pump seal leaking? This forum confirmed my guess. Thanks for the confermation and confidence to do the repair.
"If you ride a bike, a big bike, it's awesome."
Regards Paul, Yarram Australia.

Typically it's from the waterpump seals/bearings going bad. There are other places you can get it from with orings and misc but that's where i'd start.

This write up was very helpful. The only thing I need now is the o-ring for the drain valve, it started leaking after I turned it to drain. Might add that to the parts list above the write up.

Well written, I ended up heating (heat gun works fine) the bearing housing, bearing was in the fridge, upon the heat, cold bearing, damn thing dropped rite in!! no pounding period!! Woo hoo!

Well written, I ended up heating (heat gun works fine) the bearing housing, bearing was in the fridge, upon the heat, cold bearing, damn thing dropped rite in!! no pounding period!! Woo hoo!
Does the oil need to be drained before the process is started? My weep hole just started dripping.

You do not need to drain the oil unless you have cross contamination already.

Latest posts

Back