Change Brake Pads

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikedave99

Reaction score
This may seem elementary but sometimes we just need a little help to get started doing our own maintenance on the max. I changed all the pads on the bike but for the purpose of this post I will just show you the rear as it is the same for the others.

Here is the rear brake caliper and pads, as you can see I have the wheel off but that is not necessary. Just undo the two bolts holding the caliper on (and, in the case of the rear, the brake bar):
Maintenance042.jpg

First, squeeze the plastic cap on top to pop it off. This was actually (embarassingly) the hardest part for me to figure out:
Maintenance043.jpg

Under the cap you will see this:
Maintenance045.jpg

There are two pins that go through the pads and retaining clip inbetween. Before you can remove the pins you must first pull out the cotter pins which keep them from sliding out:
Maintenance046.jpg

Then, with a thumb or finger on the retaining clip to keep it from flying out, pull out the pins:
Maintenance051.jpg

Slide the pads out the bottom and clean the whole assembly up with brake cleaner. Now, because you are going to be putting thicker pads into the caliper than were there before, it will be difficult, when it comes time to reinstall the brakes on the bike to fit the disc between the pads. So, before putting in the new pads, use a pair of channel locks to gently squeeze the piston back so there will be room for the new pads and disc. Be patient while squeezing it will slowing recede:
Maintenance055.jpg

Then, all thats left is to slip in the new pads, put it back together bolt it on.
Maintenance059.jpg

Be sure to clean your discs as well with the brake cleaner and clean cloth and make sure it isn't too worn or has pronounced ridges or scarring.

I'm just about to do this job, and I'm sure I would have been staring at that plastic cover wondering how to remove it. Thanks for the great pics and walkthrough!

I found this and went out to do my Max's rear brake. I did it without removing the caliper. The rear pads just slide up and out. Press pistons and new ones right back in.

Thanks for this guide. Im a complete newb and I just did this job on my VMax.

The procedure I would assume is pretty much identical with the front pads?
Thank you for the article. It will make doing the brakes that much easier knowing exactly what to do. (gotta do my rear pads)

When you squeeze the pistons back-in be-sure your master cylinder doesn't overflow. Your paint will appreciate your thoughtfulness.

I once helped my friend work on his CBR600's brakes. One of the pistons was frozen. Compressed air didn't 'pop' out the piston. We then tried something I have resorted to a couple of times in nearly 50 years of messin'-around on my-own stuff. I broke-out a hydraulic grease gun, and with the caliper detached from the hose, and the caliper female plugged w/a bolt, I filled the caliper w/grease until that sukkah popped-out! A bit of cleaning, some brake fluid on the square o-ring and the piston, and that piston moved with finger pressure. It was a good day.

Thanks again for the detailed pics. Way better than the manual. It was a good refresh before I picked up my "new" 01 Max today and changed the rear pads in the cycle store parking lot. 15 minutes with only a Gerber multi-tool. Hardest part on the fly was getting pistons seated deeply enough to insert new pads. Not much leverage with the tool I had. Great sticky!

Latest posts

Back