attacking my slave cylinder, quick question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Slave cylinder, new question, destroyed pushrod oil seal...

OK, I redid the slave and I'm hoping it'll work alright... only problem is I decided to replace the pushrod oil seal (which wasn't leaking for all I could tell). So I started trying to pry the seal out ANNNNNND ripped the fricking thing apart and when I finally managed to get it out, I've destroyed the metal piece it goes on to (the SOFT metal ring that the seal wraps around).

What part is that? Am I going crazy, was the seal so corroded that an internal metal frame came through? I'm starting to think that might be the case... So either there is a metal ring this seal fits over, or this seal (which is pretty hard...) just pushes into place as is (with an internal metal ring).

EDITED AGAIN to add I think I answered my own panic induced question... The seal that came in the slave rebuild kit is all I need, I think.

Ok guys, I need the forums help AGAIN. I'm trying to get to my slave cylinder to rebuild it, as far as I can tell I need to remove the middle gear case cover (according to the pdf service manual that's online). It makes a warning not to let any oil leak out of the case?! How the hell can I do that when I have to remove it? Am I opening up the wrong place? Is there anything I need to buy or consider for reassembly (gaskets etc)?

Thanks everyone, I'm mad dashing this trying to get the bike up and running before it's too cold to ride!

Last edited:
To prevent oil from running out of the middle gear case , lean the bike to the other side while you work on it. I just lean mine against the garage wall at an angle as if the kickstand were on that side.....

You'll need a middle gear cover gasket and possible brass washer located on lower middle gear cover screw. I've reused that one ok but the middle gear gasket usually tears. Losing a bit of oil is no biggie.

OK, I'm going to admit my complete mechanic noobness, but this is the same oil that I'll be adding in when I do an oil change right? In that case no biggie as the bike is drained anyways... and it'll stay that way till I figure out how to get the stuck oil filter cover bolt off. Well, I just went for it and I got it off. I'm going to try to find someone with a compressor to pop this bad boy apart (it looks horrible). What would you guys recommend in terms of cleaning out the slave cylinder?

This has definitely been a learning experience for me so far, and I'm glad I undertook it! Seems like sometimes it really is best just to go at it

I used 000 steel wool to clean the puck and internals, the groove that the seal resides must be very clean so when reinstalling the puck it fits just right. Use brake fluid as lubricant and make sure puck goes in evenly, if you force it while puck is crooked, you stand a chance of shearing off part of the new seal.

Yeah, with the front brake master cylinder I didn't quite realize the whole lubrication thing, ended up putting a small tear in one of the rubber seals. Luckily it's not affecting anything at this point, but we'll see in the future. Oh well, at least I know how to do it now. Thanks for the help guys. Time to order that seal and a new fuel filter, tomorrow I acid etch the tank!

Re: Slave cylinder, new question, destroyed pushrod oil seal...

Ok guys, I need the forums help AGAIN. I'm trying to get to my slave cylinder to rebuild it, as far as I can tell I need to remove the middle gear case cover (according to the pdf service manual that's online). It makes a warning not to let any oil leak out of the case?! How the hell can I do that when I have to remove it? Am I opening up the wrong place? Is there anything I need to buy or consider for reassembly (gaskets etc)?

Thanks everyone, I'm mad dashing this trying to get the bike up and running before it's too cold to ride!

Sounds like you got it right. Remove shifter, foot peg bracket, remove mid gear cover and you should have clear access to slave cylinder.

Yes, oil will come out, no big deal.

You will need a new mid gear cover gasket. Also, there is a copper sealing washer that goes under one of the bolt heads that hold the mid gear cover in place. You should replace that washer also.

If you are in a hurry, you should send Sean an email. He may have these gaskets on hand for quick shipment.

I know this is a really old thread but I just wanted to make sure the push rod seal is serviceable from the outside of the bike vs inside the engine. Some V4's you need to open the engine up to replace the push rod seal. Thanks.

Re: Slave cylinder, new question, destroyed pushrod oil seal...

Also, there is a copper sealing washer that goes under one of the bolt heads that hold the mid gear cover in place. You should replace that washer also.
In a pinch you can also reuse plain copper sealing (crush) washers by annealing them. Simply heat to cherry red with a propane torch, then quench with cold water and reuse. I routinely use this technique with copper (but never aluminum) oil drain washers on all my cars and motorcycles, and have even done it with banjo bolt washers when I find that I'm out of stock and want to get a vehicle back in service. Peace...

Latest posts

Back