VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TURBOVMAX

Reaction score
Buster... here's some pics of the turbo setup from the nitrous post. It's a draw-thru setup with a Rayjay F40 Turbo/ Mikuni 42 mm Flatslide. The bike ran 8.70's at 142 like a clock. Sorry I sold it. It was a Busa eater.

I know people think that the ultimate setup is blow-thru with EFI. I'm beginning to wonder as it's such a simple setup to tune. I have all of the drawings done for the intake and turbo and the parts could made easily. I've contacted a turbo builder on the west coast and recently sent Mark from Mark's Exhaust an inquiry asking if he'd be interested in doing the plumbing. That was the only part that stopped me from selling this setup. A better job of doing that for the street would be required and I don't have the time to fab the stuff myself. Would anyone be interested?

These were build pictures... so the orange tape is actually where short silicone turbo hose and clamps secure the setup to intakes. Making it nice for anyone that has a stock or modified engine to use due to cylinder head gasket thickness changing etc. There's also a read out of the spring 2003 issue of V-Boost that the guy I sold it to submitted.

Turbo1.jpg

Turbo2.jpg

Turbo3.jpg

Turbo4.jpg

Bricker1.jpg

Bricker2.jpg

Saw the bike in person Gary. Nice work. I really need to figure out how to get something like that fit together with my hilborn setup.

Sean

Saw the bike in person Gary. Nice work. I really need to figure out how to get something like that fit together with my hilborn setup.

Sean

Thanks Sean, is that a single TB Hilborn setup? Do you have a picture of it? Maybe we can work something out with a motor build on your end. Got something special in mind I need built.

Thanks for the pictures Gary! :punk::clapping: Just the work and design into putting a turbo or blower on the VMax is amazing!

how much boost can be ran safely on these motors? ( i know thats a relative term but jsut a ball park)

We will let Gary tell you since he has more experience but I would say with an efficient setup you can probably go 4-6lbs without intercooling and more with it.

Sean

We will let Gary tell you since he has more experience but I would say with an efficient setup you can probably go 4-6lbs without intercooling and more with it.

Sean

You can generally add 2psi to that figure if running water/meth injection, which is not very expensive or hard to install. 2psi will generally add 20-30rwhp. Definately worth a few hundred bucks and still be able to run redily available pumpgas(premium)

The VMAX actually has a very nice set of heads and you can go to about 8 lbs. on a stock engine depending on the weather (hotter out... less boost). As Sean has pointed out 4-6 is safe on regular pump gas. I ran my bike at the track at about 15-17 on race gas. The Nitrous you see on the setup pictured was only used to cool the charge. We sprayed it at the turbine and that let me get into the 20's on race gas. Kinda like a liquid inter-cooler.

The nice thing about a turbo relative to a supercharger is that with todays boost controllers you can quickly adjust the boost. Make it docile as a lamb or turn it up to kill with the flick of a button. I surprised a lot a lot of fast bikes with this setup on the street. Made some money too :biglaugh:

How much $ for a turbo with 2-4 psi of boost? Can you do this with stock carbs or do you need one of the big carbs?

How much $ for a turbo with 2-4 psi of boost? Can you do this with stock carbs or do you need one of the big carbs?

Mark,

I'm looking into the components now. A lot depends on the exhaust plumbing cost and I really don't have an idea on that price. I think the kit would be in the 3 - 3.5 k range. We would need to use a 42 or 44 mm Mikuni. The cost could be reduced if enough people were interested.

I'll get some firm numbers on the components in a week or so and post the real price.

Thanks! I appreciate all the work you guys are doing. Just curious but are the stock carbs to restrictive for turbo?

Mark,

The stk carbs are fine as far as restrictions go. The problem is tuning a blow through carb setup. As you know, the stk V-max carbs are not the funnest things in the world to mess with/tune. Throw a turbo blowing through into the mix, and you are traveling down a road few have traveled successfully. The tuning would not be fun, nor would removing alot of plumbing just to get the suckers out. Also, a blow through turbo setup adds to the turbo kits complexity(Read: EXPENSE). The setup that Gary is showing is a drawthrough turbo setup. Very simple(as turbo's go) and it uses only one carb(on the inlet). The carb of choice would be the Mikuni 42mm or Mikuni 44mm flatslide. Pretty simple carb to setup. Not the ultimate turbo setup, but one thats very reliable, simple to install and simple to tune. Oh, and LOTS of fun!

Got a couple of pics of the Hilborn setup. Not sure how hard it would be to draw through or blow through a pair or even all 4 of them with a wild custom intake???

Sean

Attachments

• 0630091634.jpg
    0630091634.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 75
  • 0630091635.jpg
    0630091635.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 74
Sean,

I'm going to be changing the fuel fuel system on my dragbike. Is there any part of that your interested in? If you'd like... we could do some kinda work trade deal. It's setup for alcohol but could be converted to gas by simple jet/pill change. Do you happen to know what the TB size is on that setup you have?

Not sure on the size at the moment. I know it's not huge t/b's for sure. This is on alcohol too. The pump is a 00, the high speed pill is a 94, and I am using the thin bushing/spring for the low speed bypass. Still got to get it all tuned in. Not sure what happened since I left the dyno in Topeka but it isn't running well at all. Not revving and no power. I'll get into it a bit more when I get a chance. It ran well enough on the dyno that it couldn't get traction enough to give a reading.

Here's a pic of the whole bike.

Also, until I get it running as is I won't be messing with much but appreciate the offer. I do have another hilborn setup that isn't quite complete but most of the stuff is there.

Sean

Attachments

• DragBike.jpg
    DragBike.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 70
Hi,

I'm planning to build a blow-trough carb turbo setup for my Vmax during the coming winter. I have a couple of newbie questions that I hope someone has the answers to....

Where on the engine is the best place to mount the oil feed for the turbo lubrication? I've been watching a lot of Vmax turbo pictures pictures but can't really tell.

I have a fuel pump from a GSXR 1000, bought an extra fuel tank on Ebay and is planning to integrate the pump like "http://www.saarloos.net/content/blogcategory/14/28/", bottom of the page.
I guess the original fuel pump won't do?

Best regards
/Pelle

Latest posts

Back