1985 Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Kent

Reaction score
I am going to check on a 85 Vmax Thursday, the owner won bike in a raffle, carbs were rebuilt, Barnett clutches installed alone with slave cylinder. Shop drove bike, said they have worked on several in the past, and it runs as should. Question, how to know if boost works? What other things should I check for? I have ridden bikes for over 50 years, never a Vmax. The owner doesn't ride, can't tell me no history of bike.......65,000 miles, appears stock, new rear tire, battery and so forth installed on bike. I have always wanted one of these, Gen 1 , and want to make a good looking bike, to ride and show a bit. Never seen one on the road around here. Thanks, Steve

Rev it to 6,000 rpm. Watch the v-boost cable which should be visible above the front two cylinders (maybe you can catch a glimpse of it behind the carbs). It should be open all the way by about 8,500 rpm.

I say ride and test your gears especially 2nd gear run it up to 8,000 to 9,000 rpm's see if it pops out of gear also be careful of headshake at that rate of speed ... Of course one other thing is what are your last four numbers on the vin ? 85's are rare and the lower you go the rarer and the fastest :biglaugh: .. And welcome to the forum !! :punk:

+1 on 2nd gear- Ride it past 6000+ rpm in first gear and if the vboost works you will feel it kick in shift to 2nd and if I kicks out you will feel that too. Check the top of the rear coils as the are prone to crack and watch the high speed wobble on acceleration and deceleration. It can easily get 65,000 more miles.

You'll know, trust me.! Be sure to have the bike aimed because when it hits the boost, things happen quickly.

I say ride and test your gears especially 2nd gear run it up to 8,000 to 9,000 rpm's see if it pops out of gear also be careful of headshake at that rate of speed ... Of course one other thing is what are your last four numbers on the vin ? 85's are rare and the lower you go the rarer and the fastest :biglaugh: .. And welcome to the forum !! :punk:
Thanks, I will do that.....I've been reading and studying all I can. I have always wanted the Vmax, just hadn't got it yet. I have every type and make of bike in the past, ridding a 1500SE now, but have got to get a hotrod! Thanks for all the help, and I'll be letting you know how it goes, thanks, Steve

Latest posts

Back