Click Click WT#?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Typically a clutch will show slipping in the higher gears first since that is where it has more leverage to the engine vs leverage to the tire. It sounds like potentially the start of 2nd gear engagement dogs going out which may mean a transmission repair is in your future. Verify you have the shifter adjusted properly though I don't really think this is going to fix it.

Typically a clutch will show slipping in the higher gears first since that is where it has more leverage to the engine vs leverage to the tire. It sounds like potentially the start of 2nd gear engagement dogs going out which may mean a transmission repair is in your future. Verify you have the shifter adjusted properly though I don't really think this is going to fix it.

Does that mean a case split? How do you "adjust the shifter"?

Is there a way to confirm 100% if it's the dogs or not? My last bike once in a blue moon would pop out of gear but this made clear clunking sounds... The Max is more of a slipping and only does so when you add more power....

Does that mean a case split? How do you "adjust the shifter"?

Is there a way to confirm 100% if it's the dogs or not? My last bike once in a blue moon would pop out of gear but this made clear clunking sounds... The Max is more of a slipping and only does so when you add more power....
Sounds exactly like my old 85. If you have found that the symptom only occurs in second gear I think it is diagnosed.
I would ride mine and quick shift through second gear so I could still enjoy the bike. I wasn't up for the task of fixing myself because yes, you do have to split the cases.
The knowledgeable folks on here can get you through it if you are up for it.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Yes it appears to be just 2nd...

It happens so far only when shifting at low RPMs and only going up from 1st not down from 3rd...and only when applying hard throttle...

It works fine if you either ride easy or rev it out.... I assume it will get worse?

I have to wonder if this was caused at least in part by riding with sneakers that made shifting less forceful because I always had trouble with the 1st to 2nd shift when wearing sneakers which caused a brief gear grind sound and sometimes an incomplete shift... Christ wrong shoes may have hurt the bike...

The knowledgeable folks on here can get you through it if you are up for it.

No place to do that and my experience level isn't great...

Is it better to buy another bike rather than paying to fix it? Christ I just got this one... $!@#$$%:bang head:

Yes it appears to be just 2nd...

It happens so far only when shifting at low RPMs and only going up from 1st not down from 3rd...and only when applying hard throttle...

It works fine if you either ride easy or rev it out.... I assume it will get worse?

I have to wonder if this was caused at least in part by riding with sneakers that made shifting less forceful because I always had trouble with the 1st to 2nd shift when wearing sneakers which caused a brief gear grind sound and sometimes an incomplete shift... Christ wrong shoes may have hurt the bike...
Don't beat yourself up over it but proper riding gear is always a good, safe practice.

No place to do that and my experience level isn't great...

Is it better to buy another bike rather than paying to fix it? Christ I just got this one... $!@#$$%:bang head:
Better? Totally up to you. My advise is, if you deside to pay someone to fix it make darn sure they are capable, do your research on the mechanic. Also know that your total investment in the bike will be well over its worth.
When I realized I had the second gear slip I started to keep my eyes open for local vmax deals. My plan was to buy another bike so I had one to ride while I dug into the fix. A good tax refund was key in this plan, I followed through on part of the plan by getting another bike but never did fix the 85. Traded it for a riding lawnmower. I am happy with my desision to buy another, I was able to find a good home for the 85 and get something I was in need of.
That being said, you would find much satisfaction in locating parts and instuction on this forum and fix it yourself. Trust me I know, easier said than done. Good luck either way.

That being said, you would find much satisfaction in locating parts and instuction on this forum and fix it yourself. Trust me I know, easier said than done. Good luck either way.

As I said that's not an option... It would be either pay or buy another...

How does it go with this kind of problem? Will it just stay about the same or eventually not go into 2nd at all or slip constantly?

Right now it only slips in second under very specific conditions...

If I may ask the group why doesn't 2nd slip when going into 2nd from 3rd or when shifting at high RPM?

Any other options or ways to deal with this problem? I saw one post about a tranny swap...

Did I create this problem with crappy sneaker shifts? I never heard of anything so blindsiding like this, I just bought this bike last season, was running fine and now it appears I blew $2500 for nothing...and I am not rich...

130,000 miles of 99.9% sneaker shifts, never a problem, yet..

Yeah, I hear that...

I got the bike last season and I was often wearing my running shoes... The top part of the shoes makes it like shifting in socks... Also because of non stock pegs shifter was near my big toenail and there was no leverage or very little because of the distance... I had posted before about this..

Anyway, I adapted eventually but often I would miss a shift and hear the grind from a weak too gentle shift slowly engaging... With my leather shoes the shift is quick and solid...

So I figure this must have contributed and when I got the bike it wasn't doing this...

Just another example of how our actions can have random results ...

It's heart breaking because I really just got the bike...

Latest posts

Back