What to do when your fuel pump clicks like a SOB

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, now I'm pissed.

I replaced the fuel pump with a Facet Posi-Flo pump, checked & tightened hose clamps, turn the key & pump came the life, the glass filter filled half up. Tried to cycle the key again nothing. After the third cycling the pump, the filter is still empty :bang head:

Here's the pump I used. I would think it should work, so I'm a little confused as to why it's not working.

http://www.facet-purolator.com/images/posi-oem2.jpg

Ok, now I'm pissed.

I replaced the fuel pump with a Facet Posi-Flo pump, checked & tightened hose clamps, turn the key & pump came the life, the glass filter filled half up. Tried to cycle the key again nothing. After the third cycling the pump, the filter is still empty :bang head:

Here's the pump I used. I would think it should work, so I'm a little confused as to why it's not working.

Lifetime warranty------

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261965637189?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Ok, now I'm pissed.

That pump wouldn't have the 5 second cycling feature would it Mike? It'd run until the pressure requirement was met I would think....:confused2:

Did it ever come to life again after the first shut off?

That pump wouldn't have the 5 second cycling feature would it Mike? It'd run until the pressure requirement was met I would think....:confused2:

Did it ever come to life again after the first shut off?

Yes, it does cycle for 5 seconds, each time I turn key on. I tried to cycle the pump a dozen times and no luck filling the fuel filter.

I read more on this particular pump and it seems that it needs to be positioned below the fuel level so that fuel is gravity feed to the tank.

They say this type of pump is a push style pump, meaning that it will push the fuel through the pump and it won't suck the fuel from the tank.

So I guess this is the wrong type of pump for this application :ummm:

This is the first time that I have run across a problem with a fuel pump - so it's been a learning experience.

Mike

Does anyone know how to get ahold of Jan Bee? Looking to purchase a stock fuel pump.... If not do you know of anyone that may have one? Thanks

I'm running into an issue with my VMax now, and I'm suspecting this diaphragm problem. I'd love to have the images from the original write-up, if possible. Regardless, I'll probably do a video of whatever I end up doing to it. If it's coherent enough, I'll put it up somewhere for general benefit.

The bike worked a year ago, and then sat (garaged) for a while. Does the pump need to be primed at all? Should I expect the stock pump to pull air until it gets gas? I've cycled the ignition a dozen times and got no fuel, but I'm not sure if that's because the pump is bad, or because it needs to be primed.

Picture of the diaphragm at least.

Attachments

• Displaced Diaphragm in Fuel Pump.jpg
    Displaced Diaphragm in Fuel Pump.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 23
Thanks! But I've got bad news... I took the pump apart, and there was nothing wrong with it.

It was just out of gas.

To be fair to myself, after I'd syphoned the old fuel, I DID add good fuel back in. I just underestimated how much would be needed to reach the pickup. So it ran on the tiny little bit it could get, and then wouldn't start anymore. Fortunately, my diagnostic process is pretty strong, so I did eventually work through to the step that revealed that although there was gas... there wasn't enough.

Now that "work from home" ends in June, at least I can RIDE to the office.

As penance, I'll see if I can find a time to record a video of how to check the diaphragm in that pump.

Latest posts

Back